It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Julian Assange wins ruling , he has been unlawfully detained UN panel rule

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 05:40 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Good about time I wish him well because I always thought the charges were too convenient and a government conspiracy against him. I was annoyed at the Swedes because One couldn't decide if they were genuine or not. However, He is a charismatic and good looking bloke so my common sense tells me he wouldn't have had to rape because many woman would have found him attractive.

We need whistle blowers to tell the truth and yet no matter how we act or the choices we make it always appears as though we support lying, self-serving politicians.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Wikileaks says on twitter, there is no official confirmation by the UN yet.

BBC is reporting claim that UN has found for Assange We are waiting official confirmation

Another tweet says:

Assange: I will accept arrest by British police on Friday if UN rules against me.

Source

After all these years it seems things get in motion either way or the other.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 05:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Siddharta

Wikileaks says on twitter, there is no official confirmation by the UN yet.

The report isn't due for release until tomorrow so no there in no official confirmation but the BBC wouldn't run this story without being sure of its veracity.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 06:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: weirdguy
a reply to: daaskapital

Are you kidding? He's facing very serious allegations that's why he's in hiding. They want to extradite him remember? Of course he hasn't been charged, he's avoiding that at all costs. The sexual assault thing is just the being, he's wanted else where too. There isn't too many countries who wouldn't extradite him hey!

Just because he thinks he's doing the right thing doesn't make it so. It looks as the arrest warrants stand and I'm glad.

I said that he 'is wanted in Sweden and the USA currently has an investigation into him and his organisation." That's neither understating nor overstating his predicament.

You said he was charged, i said he wasn't and only had allegations made against him. They are serious, but they aren't charges.

Of course Julian is wanted by many countries. It's one of the reasons he gives for his asylum. If he was trying to avoid being charged, he wouldn't have continuously invited Sweden to interview him at the embassy, which they agreed to some months ago.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
The report isn't due for release until tomorrow so no there in no official confirmation but the BBC wouldn't run this story without being sure of its veracity.

That's okay for me. I just wanted to fact check and looked up what wikileaks posted.
I found it interesting enough to post it here.

They also wrote that the foreign ministers of UK, Sweden and Australia are in London today. So there is some unrest in the chicken house.

The UN is said to report at 11:00 am British time tomorrow. In the afternoon Assange's legal team will give a press conference at the Frontline Club.
So I am looking forward for tomorrow.
edit on 4-2-2016 by Siddharta because: their and there...

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   
For those interested, please see the Guardian link below. It explains the ramifications of this decision.

What happens to Julian Assange when detention finding is announced?

Quite interesting to see the legal view.......basically questionning the UN decision.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

The enigmatic conundrum is that had he left the embassy, he would undoubtedly have been detained (or assassinated) and transferred to the US to face trial (or had his body returned to his family for burial).

This is why I support his (Julian Assange) stance and motive to release evidence that the US government is a terrorist organization and has virtually gone rogue, he has (with Chelsea (Bradley) Mannings assistance) proven this outfit to be extremely dangerous and it seems that with every passing day, he is proven right.

The very stuff Manning released to Assange, which he later made public, itself proves how the US Gov. has gone over its head, and is completely against international law.

The media frawns upon whether Assange is a "sexual offender" or not, while they instead should focus on why the US would try to cover up such a despicable lie. (Collateral Murder)

As for the socalled "rapist" claims, one should check that fairytale:
The Wikileaks sex files: How two one-night stands sparked a worldwide hunt for Julian Assange

So i take it Julian will leave the embassy in any case tomorrow? Where will he go?

Wish you all the best Julian!

edit on 4/2/2016 by kloejen because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   
RT News report:

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 10:12 AM
link   

I'm still on the fence about Assange--whether he's a hero or villain--but like at least one other has stated on here, the UN has no authority to do anything in this instance.

I personally think that the UN is a worthless body that does nothing stir the pot of controversy and does a lot of blaming without authority to fix any problems, but I suppose that is a different topic for a different day.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Julian Assange 'will be arrested' if he leaves embassy, No 10 insists

Julian Assange will be arrested even if the United Nations rules he has been "arbitrarily detained" in the Ecuadorian Embassy in London, Downing Street has insisted.

The Wikileaks founder has said he will leave the embassy tomorrow if a UN panel investigating his case finds against him.

However, he says that if it finds in his favour, he will "expect the immediate return of my passport and the termination of further attempts to arrest me".

According to the BBC, the UN has found in Mr Assange's favour, but official confirmation is not expected until tomorrow.

Mr Assange claimed asylum in the embassy in 2012 to avoid extradition to Sweden over sex assault claims, which he denies.

His application to the UN claimed he had been "deprived of his liberty in an arbitrary manner for an unacceptable length of time".

A spokesman for David Cameron said: "We appreciate the UN panel would not be legally binding, but there is a European Arrest Warrant in place, and should Mr Assange leave the embassy then we would put that into effect.

"He has never been detained in this country. He is avoiding lawful arrest by choosing to remain in the Ecuadorian embassy."

The Prime Minister will meet with his Swedish counterpart at the Syria donors conference in London this afternoon, when Mr Assange's case may be discussed.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

I'm still on the fence about Assange--whether he's a hero or villain

I don't see him as either but I do think he's a brave man who decided to do something to expose the hypocritical and antidemocratic actions of our governments and ultimately put his life on the line for no obvious reward.

There is much we know now that we wouldn't without him , I thank him for that.

edit on 4-2-2016 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: weirdguy
Asshat...err I mean Assange is just a tool whom has dug a 6ft hole for himself. He's avoiding capture because he is a wanted man internationally. He's avoiding sexual assault charges at the very least. I can't stand the guy, he ain't a hero of truth and liberty or whatever he claims to be. Just an idiot who's in way over his head lol.
He is a hero of truth and liberty. He is smart, obviously. He is intelligent. And man-hating laws are biased against men regarding rape. He apparently grabbed the woman's arm during sex in an aggressive way she didn't like, but that was the entire extent of the "assault". But then, she never made any claim she said "no" or "stop" Obviously "stop" would be been the thing to say to end the situation. She was upset he didn't want to use a condom. So, he then used a condom. I'm sorry but such a situation has zero place in court and if you think it does, I have no interest in living 1,000 miles near you or going 1,000 miles into your area, and neither does Julian.

I've been grabbed in the arm in aggressive ways but it never occurred to me to do anything more than complain to the person doing the aggressive move. I mean obviously there are no significant damages involved in that. Its simply a rude thing to do. The idea of jail-time would render the person who says it should be possible into a false authority to be avoided at all costs.

She commented to the public that she didn't say no because she "just wanted to get it over with". Huh, isn't that what girls who are not in the mood but let it happen any way are always thinking? Sounds like a common scenario that isn't rape at all or sexual assault at all by the victims own words.
edit on 4-2-2016 by centarix because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Yeah, I agree, but I also think that some of the things that he released helped put actual human lives in danger, and I'm not a fan of that, being a veteran myself.

It's a catch-22...I like knowing, but I don't necessarily like those who do bad things with the knowledge knowing.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 07:05 PM
link   
UN Rulings have no legal authority. "Rulings" and resolutions coming from the UN are used by countries to justify their behavior--or not, as they see fit. The US used UN resolutions to justify invading Iraq. But when the UN passes a ruling condemning Israel, the US ignores it. The UN itself is just a money-sucking bureaucracy that doesn't do much at all.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 03:39 AM
link   
The report by The Working Group on Arbitrary Detention has now been published and finds that Mr. Julian Assange has been arbitrary detained and deprivation of his liberty , they say Mr. Assange is entitled to his freedom of movement and to compensation.

The Working Group considered that Mr. Assange has been subjected to different forms of deprivation of liberty: initial detention in Wandsworth prison which was followed by house arrest and his confinement at the Ecuadorian Embassy.

Having concluded that there was a continuous deprivation of liberty, the Working Group also found that the detention was arbitrary because he was held in isolation during the first stage of detention and because of the lack of diligence by the Swedish Prosecutor in its investigations, which resulted in the lengthy detention of Mr. Assange. The Working Group found that this detention is in violation of Articles 9 and 10 of the UDHR and Articles 7, 9(1), 9(3), 9(4), 10 and 14 of the ICCPR, and falls within category III as defined in its Methods of Work

The Working Group also considered that the detention should be brought to an end and that Mr. Assange should be afforded the right to compensation.
www.ohchr.org...

Needless to say I agree with the working group.

edit on 5-2-2016 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 05:49 AM
link   
I think the UN should concentrate efforts on the billions who live under authoritarianism and parlous human rights,. but hey, this is a nice distraction.

Assange is not detained. He has detained himself. It's a bit of a joke really.

We need to remember Assange is wanted for questioning of serious sexual assaults. These are not petty accusation. If he was not a celebrity people would be lining up to demand he face his accusers. Is it just possible that Assange has a case to answer for, and is hiding behind the skirts and tails of people who don't care about things like "women's rights" and "rape".
edit on 5/2/2016 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Assange is not detained. He has detained himself. It's a bit of a joke really

the Working Group also found that the detention was arbitrary because he was held in isolation during the first stage of detention

I even highlighted in in my post above but hey ho.

We need to remember Assange is wanted for questioning of serious sexual assaults.

So the media say but dig deeper and you'll find they're not really serious , but let's just all believe what we're told.

Assange has a case to answer for, and is hiding behind the skirts and tails of people who don't care about things like "women's rights" and "rape".

Oh please !
Both women had consensual sex with Julian Assange , one woman claims he had sex with her while she was asleep .... Claims , that is where the rape accusation comes from.

Julian Assange press conference from earlier today.

edit on 5-2-2016 by gortex because: edit to add

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 07:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
I even highlighted in in my post above but hey ho.

Indeed. Then everyone imprisoned is "detained against their will". Release all prisoners! Why is Assange different?

So the media say but dig deeper and you'll find they're not really serious , but let's just all believe what we're told.

Love it when people act as apologists for sexual crimes. "It were not that bad", or "the women consented". A crime was alleged to have been committed. There are victims. There are laws. Assange cannot be exempt because he's a celebrity and some people (mainly men) think that some crimes are irrelevant. Assange needs to face his accusers and demostrate his innocence, or have his guilt demonstrated.
edit on 5/2/2016 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Love it when people act as apologists for sexual crimes. "It were not that bad", or "the women consented". A crime was alleged to have been committed. There are victims. There are laws. Assange cannot be exempt because he's a celebrity and some people (mainly men) think that some crimes are irrelevant. Assange needs to face his accusers and demostrate his innocence, or have his guilt demonstrated.

Huh really? And here are you apologizing for a state who tried to cover up warcrimes? Turning your words around...

Love it when people act as apologists for warcrimes. "It were not that bad", or "not so many died".
A crime was committed. There are victims. There are laws. The mighty USA cannot be exempt because she's a celebrity and some people (mainly men) think that some crimes are irrelevant. The US needs to face it's accusers and demonstrate her innocence, or have her guilt demonstrated,

which have been demonstrated!

ETA: better video interview

edit on 5/2/2016 by kloejen because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: kloejen

Don't let other issues distract you from the facts that Assange is an accused rapist. It is possible for a whistleblower and celebrity, like Assange, to have committed a crime towards women. H ejust needs to face his accusers and prover his innocence.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join