It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Key Republican says Congress will punish sanctuary cities this year

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Well, sorry if this is a dupe.

OK, there is a new chairman of the committee that writes the budget for the DOJ. John Culberson.
He says he will put some hurt on the home office if they don't start cooperate with immigration.
Which is about time someone stepped up that had the power/cajones to do something.

The House Republican in charge of writing the Justice Department’s budget vowed Monday that this will be the year Congress punishes sanctuary cities, insisting he’ll use his powers as chairman to make the Obama administration strip grant money from localities that refuse to cooperate with immigration agents.

This is one part I like,

Rep. John Abney Culberson, chairman of the House Appropriations subcommittee that oversees the Justice Department, warned Attorney General Loretta E. Lynch that if she doesn’t move quickly to shut down sanctuary cities, he will use existing powers to prevent her from shifting money around within the 2016 budget.

“This is a complicated problem with a simple solution. State and local law enforcement agencies should not receive federal law enforcement grant money unless they are in compliance with federal law,” he said in a statement.

I know congress has tried before but whatever has been tried has been voted down.
This guy seems to be able to do it unilaterally.

I'm sure "Kate's Law" has been discussed here but there are people still not voting to pass it.

www.washingtontimes.com...

In a letter to Lynch, Culberson is demanding she include a certification for localities applying for Byrne Justice Assistance Grants – the community-oriented police office assistance program – and the State Criminal Alien Assistance Program vowing they're in compliance with federal laws, including cooperating with Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents.

Breaking News at Newsmax.com www.newsmax.com...

I guess time will tell if Culberson can deliver.
Given the state of illegal immigration and people seeming to take a more hardline attitude towards it, he just might get it done.

There is also a call to reform the Cuban situation that gives them a free pass if they can get to the states.
They are coming through the border instead of getting a visa.

edit on 2 3 2016 by burgerbuddy because: dumb omission.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Good for them. Enforce the laws and throw out the freeloaders.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy

Gotta love conservatives, they're all for states rights and against elected officials acting unilaterally... until they're acting unilaterally with no deference for the rights of states.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

Gotta love conservatives, they're all for states rights and against elected officials acting unilaterally... until they're acting unilaterally with no deference for the rights of states.

But it's the Federal government that is infringing on the States by allowing illegal immigration to go unchecked in the first place.

Not to mention the selective placement of new "legal" immigrants.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   
So Congress doesn't address the border problems but will blame and punish certain cities in some way. Sounds about par for the course. Right, the problem is always because of someone else.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy
Good for them. Enforce the laws and throw out the freeloaders.

It goes deeper than that, the cities (300 or so) are breaking Fed law and harboring criminals, while taking Fed money for law enforcement that is basically told not to comply by the city councils and officials.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   

There's always Federal Obstruction of Justice Statutes that easily cover 'sanctuary' issues. Just apply them....

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   

I call BS. The Republican donors who benefit so greatly from illegal employees will rear their head. It's not just the democrats who benefit. Its developers, hotel chains, restraunts, on and on.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   

I understand how it works. It insures a democratic voting base by allowing millions to go unchecked and eligible for benefits.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
So Congress doesn't address the border problems but will blame and punish certain cities in some way. Sounds about par for the course. Right, the problem is always because of someone else.

Now if we had a Wall and johnny law were allowed to do their jobs, there wouldn't be as much of a problem. lol!
from the article,

The fight over sanctuary cities is a repeat of last year, when some Republicans had insisted Congress try to use the year-end spending bill to punish sanctuary cities. GOP leaders, intent on avoiding a showdown with President Obama, rejected that option.

Instead the House passed a standalone bill to withhold funding, but Senate Democrats launched a filibuster to block the bill and defend sanctuaries.

So yeah, congress didn't have their stuff together to get it passed.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Nobody is acting unilaterally, congress holds the power of the purse. The Obama admin doesn't want to enforce immigration laws so congress tightens the budget.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Yes, let's punish 'sanctuary cities' (a made up term anyway), by pulling money for community policing and related projects. That will help those cities.

/sarc

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: avgguy

You all know there are very wealthy business owners who are conservatives that use illegal labour right?

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 07:30 PM
link   

GOP leaders, intent on avoiding a showdown with President Obama, rejected that option.

Since when do the Reps have a problems going at Obama.

Maybe it's the low wage work force showdown being avoided.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy

I understand how it works. It insures a democratic voting base by allowing millions to go unchecked and eligible for benefits.

The 'Democratic voting base'? There has been no countable voter fraud for either Republicans or Democrats, yet the myths or memes still continue.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

I call BS. The Republican donors who benefit so greatly from illegal employees will rear their head. It's not just the democrats who benefit. Its developers, hotel chains, restraunts, on and on.

Then to be fair, dry up the workers and free up jobs for Americans.
It's NOT a left/right problem on the ground.
It's a problem of ideology.

Besides, this thread is about letting illegal criminals run about in 300 cities, not some ave joe wanting to make a few bucks.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Good, you are either here legally or you aren't. I'd happily pay Bernie Sanders tax plan if he wins to help those here legally cause I love my country(not so much the way it's being run). I don't want to pay higher premiums on everything to cover those that have no respect for our laws or borders so democrats can buy votes.
edit on 3-2-2016 by EightTF3 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-2-2016 by EightTF3 because: (no reason given)

link   

Wait... The GOP is trying to enforce immigration laws?

Weird! What's happening!

Is it so bad millionaires are feeling it?

The billions and billions being sent back to Mexico?

link   

originally posted by: luthier

Culberson will have a rude awakening when the lobbyist for the corporations that profit from low paid illegal workers, tell him how capitalism really works in the US. No more campaign funds for ole John.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

I do, you know there are very wealthy politicians that exploit illegal workers for votes right?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join