It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Key Republican says Congress will punish sanctuary cities this year

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

No there are rules in capitalism as well. You don't just break the law for profit or you get this situation.

The CPI has kept inflation in check falsely with illegal workers where they can't ship jobs over seas. The result is the destruction of the trades.

You want a door hung have an American do it.

Also giant building companies hire illegals. They call them sub contractors. Or they find fake socials for them.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

originally posted by: avgguy
a reply to: burgerbuddy

I understand how it works. It insures a democratic voting base by allowing millions to go unchecked and eligible for benefits.

Except they can't vote or get welfare if they are illegal...

They can get a driver's licence in California.

Who knows what else they can get with that.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

No the market has been falsely manipulated by cheap labour.

I was a union trained jouneyman from the NE. Unions barely exist. Their aren't many good carpenters from Mexico. There are common sense farmers that learn while they are here under other sloppy carpenters. Most building has been dumbed down to a few styles and designs. The quality is incredibly poor.

The market should have dictated the worth but the greedy builders ruined that and everyone else had to follow suit to survive. Just like crappy stuff from china.

You shouldn't get work done you can't afford. Or you should learn to do it yourself.

It's sad but carpentry is a joke now a days. I make guitars for a living now in a nitche high end market. I wouldn't go back to carpentry if my life depended on. It's not a liveable wage and its extremely hard work. Especially if you have any pride in your craftsmanship.

If you are a union guy, a journeyman, and the state you live in has few Unions, you should move. That, being how you get better wages, people have forever moved where their trade makes more money.

Where I live I have had crappy jobs done by large construction companies with union workers. I am fighting, after 7 years about a bathroom spigot that will not function, took them over a year to get a tub to drain. I had to sue them in small claims court. So, it goes both ways.

I get on craigslist, a Hispanic guy shows up and fixes the spigot in 15 minutes, charges me $25 and I tip him $10 more. The bigger companies tend to take advantage of female homeowners. That has been my personal experience.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   

a reply to: DBCowboy

Seriously my polish relatives all speak English and work their butt off for the "American Dream". Yet they get hassled all the time flying or getting permits for various things.

We all get hassled trying to fly or get permits. It is par for the course for everybody who wants to live the "American Dream". Ask them if things were better in Poland.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:22 PM
link   

No there are rules in capitalism as well. You don't just break the law for profit or you get this situation.

The CPI has kept inflation in check falsely with illegal workers where they can't ship jobs over seas. The result is the destruction of the trades.

You want a door hung have an American do it.

Also giant building companies hire illegals. They call them sub contractors. Or they find fake socials for them.

I will have the person hang the door that is competent to do it and charges me less. Regardless of nationality.

Maybe that 'American' that answered my ad should have quoted closer to my offer than the guy I actually hired. Even when I presented the quotes to the 'American'. His/Her loss.

link   

I was a union trained jouneyman from the NE. Unions barely exist. Their aren't many good carpenters from Mexico. There are common sense farmers that learn while they are here under other sloppy carpenters. Most building has been dumbed down to a few styles and designs. The quality is incredibly poor.

The market should have dictated the worth but the greedy builders ruined that and everyone else had to follow suit to survive. Just like crappy stuff from china.

You shouldn't get work done you can't afford. Or you should learn to do it yourself.

It's sad but carpentry is a joke now a days. I make guitars for a living now in a nitche high end market. I wouldn't go back to carpentry if my life depended on. It's not a liveable wage and its extremely hard work. Especially if you have any pride in your craftsmanship.

No one is going for a trade anymore.

Everyone wants that sheepskin in liberal arts and wonder where their job is.

Know what a plumber can earn?

A welder?

My friends father dismantles ordinances, lol! Pays pretty good.

link   
a reply to: JohnthePhilistine

Sure just not at the same level. They love it here. Poland is doing just fine though if that's your point. My point was that did it all legit learned the language and assimilated.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Plumbers, welders, pipe fitters, and electricians still have strong unions. They effect state laws. There are a lot less of them then carpenters on moat building sites.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

originally posted by: Sremmos80

originally posted by: avgguy

I understand how it works. It insures a democratic voting base by allowing millions to go unchecked and eligible for benefits.

Except they can't vote or get welfare if they are illegal...

They can get a driver's licence in California.

Who knows what else they can get with that.

You can't vote or get welfare with just that, what that does let them get is registration and insurance and I am all for that.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: MrSpad
This is all sort of nonsense. Cities are not going waste money and resources on looking for illegals when they have other crimes to deal with. In fact most cities at this point do not bother because as they have learned Border Patrol/INS do not have the resources to deal with what they have already. Leaving cities to pay to hold people in over crowded jails or just let them go. We are talking about 3% of the US population hear. That is more people than everybody in prison now. The resources required to this would be staggering. And completely wasted as new ones would simply arrive by boat or plan or tunnel etc. And why? Because the jobs exist for them. Nobody wants to go after the rich who hire them. Donald Trump would never suggest he be held responsible for his long history of employing illegals. So unless that happens everything esle we do is just tossing money into a fire.

You are always spot on. I don't think many can understand the impossibility of picking up 3% of the population and physically moving them out, just to start. Then the financial complexities come into play. Punishing a city for not following this mad plan is , in fact, madness.

where do you live? I actually live in a Sanctuary city and you come off as highly uneducated on the matter. only 5 percent of illegal aliens work the fields doing the jobs nobody wants! Their are a growing number of jobs that require Spanish/Mandarin or Cantonese speaking over english in telemarketing, sales,tech you name it. A move some view like myself as the ability to get around illegal hiring practices. I have seen illegal immigrants lined up outside of a hospital for get free medical treatment. I have seen illegal immigrants who have someone elses SS number and use it. I have seen schools packed to the brim, I have seen ESL teachers jobs skyrocket. I know there is insurance solely created to protect an insured person from someone who doesn't have insurance it's called uninsured motorist coverage. Who do you think that was made for? I have worked in construction and if you saw what I saw you would know something is wrong.

Asking a city to enforce laws isn't madness obviously they are not going to go house to house and ship people out. but requiring ID at a traffic stop yeah. Having the cities enforce legal hiring practices yeah, housing requiring legal papers yeah. You will not need trains,bus or planes they will leave by themselves because A:they cant get a job, B: they cant get housing, C: they cant get health coverage.
And im not saying this to be mean its getting too taxing on all of us to keep the system afloat with other people who don't play by the same rules, who vote for things legal Americans don't want " they shouldn't even be allowed to vote I cant vote in any other election for any other country".
edit on 3-2-2016 by jobless1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Well that's nice for you. But its part of the problem. You don't want to pay a carpenter a livable wage and most likely don't understand what a proper job is or why its done that way.

I understand it's all compounded down to effect everyone. The same reason we can't just bring home jobs as a magic solution. Those profits are all wrapped into retirements.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   

No one is going for a trade anymore.

Everyone wants that sheepskin in liberal arts and wonder where their job is.

Know what a plumber can earn?

A welder?

My friends father dismantles ordinances, lol! Pays pretty good.

My undergraduate degree is in Liberal Arts. It is a stepping off point to many graduate degrees. Not sure where you are going with that.

Plumbers and welders do make a good wage. For electric appliance reair I use a local business 3 blocks away,they charge half of many quotes I have gotten. They are American.

For furnace repair I use a company that might employ 'undocumented'. But I am pretty good at fixing furnaces myself. Some parts are difficult to get (not impossible but difficult) to get unless you are licensed- or else I would buy the part and get a friend to help. . They have always done a great job. The others I called before for a quote on replacing a thermocouple have ranged from $500- $500 + insisting on an $800 furnace cleaning. The furnace is clean. The part is $30. Takes 15 minutes to replace, maybe 25 if there is some rust.

Fully American companies for certain things, have tried to bankrupt me over small repairs.

I won't even start with Home depot and their 'free installation' wording.

Some craftsmen might get more work if they didn;t overcharge or try to scam people. Gives a bad name to craftsmen.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

What about the fake social security numbers?
?
www.pbs.org...

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Sure its simple to find. Look up building in Texas. I worked there from 98-2006 and it was terrible. Worst workers I have ever seen. I was doing historic bungalow restoration in Hyde park Austin. But had lots of experience with builders of all kinds.

They work for the contractors or the subcontractors?

Or for Perry?

The resto i worked in in Humble, circa 81' had 2 Illegal mexicans i was glad to call my friends. We also employed a married couple from viet nam. Not sure of their status.

Being in the resto biz for the last 40yrs, I've seen many illegals get hired and do some stellar work. They were always paid the same if not more than the lazy locals.

I have no problem with temp work permits, but the thread is not about them.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   

When I was a carpenter I had to be bonded 1k a month. Had over 6k in tools to maintain, and a work truck used for business. I could have done it illegally but I chose not to. I guess that makes me a scam artist.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Well that's nice for you. But its part of the problem. You don't want to pay a carpenter a livable wage and most likely don't understand what a proper job is or why its done that way.

I understand it's all compounded down to effect everyone. The same reason we can't just bring home jobs as a magic solution. Those profits are all wrapped into retirements.

Oh, I understand a bad or a good job. That is in regard to 1 time repairs on my home.

For people I hire in my own business, I go as high as $14/hr-depending on what it is, how far they are along in training, even though the size of my business doesn't require it. The people I hire are working about 12/hr a week for me.

If it was suddenly required to pay $15/hr for all, I would figure it out. Part of it is a tax break. I might lose a few $ of my cut per house, but I would definitely figure it out.
edit on 3-2-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

I have a tiny business and I can figure it out. Wal mart should be able to figure it out.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   

In Texas you could pay workers as subs. That means no workman's comp ssi etc. They set up a system you need to operate illegally in to survive.

I did resto work too. Installed millwork and period architectural interiors. I was hired from the NE because there were not many people in the market.

Yeah there are tons of bums out there who are locals and legal. My problem was it was hard to operate legitamately as a speciality sub because of the cost.
edit on 3-2-2016 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   

When I was a carpenter I had to be bonded 1k a month. Had over 6k in tools to maintain, and a work truck used for business. I could have done it illegally but I chose not to. I guess that makes me a scam artist.

Doesn't make you a scam artist. If you generated enough work, your expenses would easily be paid and you culd suport yourself. You could be in the wrong state, your website may sck, you may not being taking advantage of affordable marketing. Not sure.

I could pay you, as the continuing example..$60 to hang a light door and do whatever to finish the edges- would provide some materials or pay you to pick them up. In this market, it is reasonable. I have no idea what city you live in. I tend to call people who live nearby. If you set aside a day to do small jobs that were less than an hour and nearby, that would help. Could make $500 in a day on just small stuff.

For house cleaning, when I started, I undercut competition by how I set rates. I set by # of bathrooms, # of floors to be washed and if baseboards/fridges/stoves were included. Other companies went by SQ FT. I also didn't require a walk through days in advance. I would clean a house for $185 that Merrymaids quoted $750. My volume jumped up. That is working with the market. I could get 2 of those large homes in a day and give a trainee a 40% split.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: MrSpad
This is all sort of nonsense. Cities are not going waste money and resources on looking for illegals when they have other crimes to deal with. In fact most cities at this point do not bother because as they have learned Border Patrol/INS do not have the resources to deal with what they have already. Leaving cities to pay to hold people in over crowded jails or just let them go. We are talking about 3% of the US population hear. That is more people than everybody in prison now. The resources required to this would be staggering. And completely wasted as new ones would simply arrive by boat or plan or tunnel etc. And why? Because the jobs exist for them. Nobody wants to go after the rich who hire them. Donald Trump would never suggest he be held responsible for his long history of employing illegals. So unless that happens everything esle we do is just tossing money into a fire.

I'm talking about the criminals these cities let walk and breaking federal laws.

Not general illegals.

What federal laws, other than being undocumented, do you refer to?

It's about the cities that do not comply with federal law.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   

In Texas you could pay workers as subs. That means no workman's comp ssi etc. They set up a system you need to operate illegally in to survive.

I did resto work too. Installed millwork and period architectural interiors. I was hired from the NE because there were not many people in the market.

Yeah there are tons of bums out there who are locals and legal. My problem was it was hard to operate legitamately as a speciality sub because of the cost.

When I hire , they are independent contractors. I tell homeowners that their insurance must cover cleaners...especially in homes with expensive and breakable things. I cover the cost of criminal background checks. Homeowners seem to be happy with that over paying $750 for one day of normal cleaning.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join