It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Veterans say Trump fundraiser uses them as ‘political props’

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 07:13 PM
link   

BY DAVID GOLDSTEIN

WASHINGTON
Several leading veterans activists and supporters denounced Donald Trump’s hastily arranged fundraiser for veterans in Iowa on Thursday night as a “political ploy.”

“The politicization of veterans’ issues is at an all-time high,” Paul Rieckhoff, founder and CEO of Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, said in an interview. “We hope all the candidates can focus on veterans policy and veterans issues and not just use veterans as a political prop.”

" VoteVets.org, a pro-veterans group with a liberal agenda, said in a statement: “Don’t hide from Megyn Kelly behind us.”
Read more here: www.bellinghamherald.com...=cpy

As more news stories and reactions emerge, it appears that the Trump "support for veterans" rally that he is holding has not met with cheers and support from the veterans themselves. The fundraiser, set for Des Moines University is very vague in detail - no indication of any veterans or groups having been invited and another ATS thread mentions that the "donate to veterans" link on Trump's site leads only to a donation link for Trump's campaign fund.

At least three veterans groups have announced on Twitter that they won't accept any money if he tries to hand it to them:
dailycaller.com...

(redstate blog post along the same lines: www.redstate.com... )

edit on 28-1-2016 by Byrd because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 07:17 PM
link   
That was kind of how I thought about it.

Trump is rich enough to pay for and host his own debate, he doesn't need this PR "stunt" involving veterans. Trump doesn't live in the same reality as veterans or the average American. He's never had to choose between paying rent or food. He's never had to move across the country by car to a new job and start a new life. He's never been shot at and had to hide from rockets. He's never had to watch people he works and trains with brutally blown apart.

I seriously doubt Trump cares about veterans in any kind of compassionate, realistic way. To a man like Trump -- our troops are a means to an end, and the veterans are the remnants of those means. Veterans are convenient way to drum up positive public relations.
edit on 28-1-2016 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Trump will call them stoopid and his poll numbers will go up. The guy has no shame.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

Lol, Trump gets hated on no matter what he does.

Guess what, there are plenty of veteran groups that will be happy to take it.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Some Vet groups may be supporting Democrats.

This thing with Trump is part of a "who's who" calling out effort.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Honestly, I'm not that surprised some feel that way, but I kinda think it's silly to be that offended.

Every single group has been used as political football, it's par for the course. And honestly, the way Vets are treated in the USA, any kind of positive attention is good IMO.

Even if it is politically motivated, if it helps them get the treatment and respect they deserve, GOOD. I only start having problems if those involved don't actually do anything to help.

But Donald doesn't really want to help it seems..

But a CNN analysis of the Donald J. Trump Foundation's charitable contributions between 2010 and 2014 -- the five most recent years publicly available -- reveals that the foundation funneled only a small slice of its charitable donations to veterans' groups.

Of the Foundation's $5 million in charitable contributions, it donated just $77,000 to nine veterans' organizations, or 1.5% of its total contributions.

www.cnn.com...

~Tenth

edit on 1/28/2016 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   
It's a political stunt. He's pandering. It makes sense that he's doing it, but I don't like politicians that just do something so they're noticed for it.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 07:30 PM
link   

He needed a smoke screen to hide the fact he's afraid of Megan Kelly asking him "tough" questions and veterans was his go to "political football".

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Some poor Vet getting a new chair won't care about agendas.

As long as Vets get their money....I'm OK with it.

Every debate should benefit Vets. Screw the greedy MSM.

PS...They all use Vets...Lets just make sure the Vets get theirs...

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Put another PR win in Trump's pocket. His supporters will never admit he's doing this as a PR stunt alone, they've drank the kool-aid.

Politics has become a cult mentality where people root for their favorite liars.

Brilliant execution by Trump BTW, mad props.
edit on 1/28/2016 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Come on Swills , Trump got the better of Megan on that first debate.

I don't like the guy and I expected him to totally fall on his face during the debates , but he actually did fairly well and better than the others.

Megan not only attacked him right of the bat and despite his polling number and getting the better of her, she went on the after shows along with FOXNEWS and said how horrible he did. Despite the polls indicating eitherwise.

foxnews and Megan have had an agenda to get him out of the picture from the beginning and have failed miserably at it if the polls indicate anything .

They like to blame trump but the truth of the matter is they should be blaming the GOP and the MSM and their B# mission and motto of vote for the lesser evil for the last decade.

Trump is full of it and would likely be a horrible tyrant of a president, but this has nothing to do with fear of Megan Kelly.

If anything this is a PR stunt to show how he is anti establishment which has worked fairly well for him in the polls.

BTW , I agree with alot of your posts but for some reason I always thought you were very much against foxnews and their propaganda amchine? Megan is part of that propaganda machine.

edit on 46131America/ChicagoThu, 28 Jan 2016 19:46:19 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Wow, vets with stipulations regarding what their own begging can achieve for themselves. Like handing a bum with a sign that reads "need money, family starving, no money accepted from Trump supporters however"

Any veteran who talks garbage like this about the generosity of others should just enjoy themselves being already thrown under the bus by those they actually support, and any disabilities they currently have. Just because they are vets, they themselves are obviously using the same thing they are accusing Trump of doing. They make sure people know they are veterans, and then use that status to defame Trump's generosity towards veterans. That right there is not the actions of an honorable American, but the actions of someone already void of dignity or honor.
At least we now know, there is a class of veterans who have no class.

Unbelievable.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

Yeah, sure...all of trumps 1.5% of generosity..

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

Funny how Fox News was one of the driving forces behind the non-PC movement and now they're hating on the most non-PC candidate around.

Their agenda is for him to win in my opinon. They know hating on Trump will continue to drive his numbers up, that's probably why they keep on doing it.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Tell them to quit bitching because they cry when no one helps and cry now when they get some media coverage.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Their agenda is for him to win in my opinon. They know hating on Trump will continue to drive his numbers up, that's probably why they keep on doing it.

Thats a fair view and thought about that as well. Both the DNC and the GOP are about manipulation to get the appropriate Oligopoly candidate elected .

However, I think his ego and his mouth are to uncontrollable for them to risk putting him at the forefront. I'm on the fence on this ,but I lean to that the GOP and foxnews not really wanting him.

If he where to get unfavourable ratings during his presidency he would throw everyone under the bus , point fingers everywhere and possibly expose some of the dirty laundry to get his ego back up. He just seem to much of a risk.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

Yeah, sure...all of trumps 1.5% of generosity..

~Tenth

Oh I see.

"Is this all I got for my allowance mommy? 1.5%? "

"You can keep it! I'll be in my room in the basement when dinner is ready"

Imagine a world where people being offered something to help them survive, is rejected because it just isn't enough. This is an example of that lack of honor, or dignity, or class I was mentioning earlier. I am embarrassed to have you prove to be one of them though.

edit on 28-1-2016 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Or it is more like the mom going on and on about how much she gives said kid to help him when he is in need and everyone else ignoring him and not doing anything but then only giving 1.5% of the money that she tells everyone else she is giving the kid.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   

That's some disrespectful opinions my friend. IMO anyway.

Look I don't like a crybaby as much as the next person, but 50% of the homeless are Vets. They get 0 support after fighting in wars that I don't' agree with, but that's none of my business anyway.

A little compassion would probably go a long way, not that they need it from you, but for those they went to war for ( the politicians) it would probably feel a lot better than being pandered to by Trump because he has an axe to grind with fox.

So you don't have any issues with Donald claiming to support Veterans when he really doesn't..at least hasn't in the past beyond 77 thousand dollars in 5 years?

But the vets..ohhh shame on them for being insulted that he's using them for points?

Sure.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Over 5 million pledged so far...

The night is young. Push it to 10 million.

I hope these Vets finally get something nice.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join