It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am in utter disbelief that this 'Flat-Earth' nonsense has gained some attention

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

You just need to prove 1 thing don't work and that's it

Well, that and the Polaris thing.
And the ship on the horizon thing.

Oh, but NASA lies, so there's still hope that the world is flat.
edit on 1/30/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Or just buy/rent a sailboat and circum navigate Antarctica. As I've already said a been done.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

but my flight thing is better as he already said don't check out and you just need to sit on a plane

edit on 30-1-2016 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

Where is the damn edge

i'm out
edit on 30-1-2016 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: theMediator

So that would mean that even the people near-north of Ecuador can't see Polaris?
Yes, they can. If they have a clear view of the northern horizon.

The closest I've been was 19 degrees north and obviously I could see Polaris but the angle of view would have been obviously higher than 30 degrees at that latitude.
At 19ºN, Polaris is 19º above the horizon. The elevation of Polaris matches the latitude of the observer. It's really handy for navigation because of that. It also demonstrates that the world is round.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent
You just need to prove 1 thing don't work and that's it, the flight in 10 days cost $1500, buy a $5 timer and do it, if the flight time is what people claim flat earth is wrong

Strange I can't find the time nor the money to try that experiment! :p

If I could and I would have the money for a plane, I would of gone above Antarctica a loooong time ago to see if it connects to the other side.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79

Or just buy/rent a sailboat and circum navigate Antarctica. As I've already said a been done.

I would also try that if I could.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: theMediator

originally posted by: TerryDon79

I would also try that if I could.

Well it's been done and well documented too.

Many times.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   

but my flight thing is better as he already said don't check out and you just need to sit on a plane

I said, "Don't check out"? Strange, I don't remember having said anything close to that.
It looks easy to bash on a straw man.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Do you think you can see further away if you are in an airplane than from ground level?

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Do you think you can see further away if you are in an airplane than from ground level?

Of course, both while standing on a sphere or a plane.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   

really why on a plane?

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Of course, both while standing on a sphere or a plane.
Why can you see farther on a flat surface if you are at a greater altitude? Can you draw a picture to illustrate your point?

But you seem to have forgotten about Polaris.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Also, why can't you see the northern lights all over the world? If it was flat you'd see them everywhere.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   
We all know the earth is round...however space and time can bend and fold so reality itself can be any shape we just can't observe it.

If our souls exist in a higher dimension then if we look back at the 3-D world would it appear 2-D to us from a 4-D perspective?

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   

NVM phage got a true grit with polaris

The distance you can see is 3.57 times the root square of the observer altitude (high) and its due to the curvature of earth, in flatlands your limit is just the atmospheric refraction, that would not change much with altitude

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   
There's a Mirage called a 'Fata Morgana' that's caused by a temperature inversion between layers of air, and results in light being reflected back toward the Earth. Sometimes, it allows the viewer to see objects that are over the horizon, hidden behind the curvature of the Earth.

I've seen this with my own eyes over Lake Michigan- several others and I were able to see large cargo ships which were well out of view, in the deep water shipping lanes over the horizon. This phenomenon is very well-documented throughout history.

Explanation on Atmospheric Optics ---
www.atoptics.co.uk...
edit on 1302016 by M4nWithNoN4me because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   

The distance you can see is 3.57 times the root square of the observer altitude (high) and its due to the curvature of earth, in flatlands your limit is just the atmospheric refraction, that would not change much with altitude

Can't debate against that logic.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: M4nWithNoN4me
There's a Mirage called a 'Fata Morgana' that's caused by a temperature inversion between layers of air, and results in light being reflected back toward the Earth.

Yes but the reflected part will be reversed from what I know.

I would guess the phenomena would also happen on a theorical plane.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   
There's also satellites. The things that orbit the globe.

As an amateur I can predict where and when the ISS will be. With my telescope I can then see it.

If it was it was a flat earth the orbit would be funky to all hell. And it would have to travel at enormous speed and be invisible after it went to one of the extremes of the flat earth.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: M4nWithNoN4me

Here's my theory on it....

And I only heard about this on the radio or something so I don't really know much about it.

But when you think about it, why would they do that really??? Seems senseless right? But there's always an alterior motive when it comes to anyone who could potentially be working for TPTB, who are often famous people.

Soo....

The alterior motive is the use of "reverse phychology". It could be to make fun of anyone who thinks outside the box. To make conspiracy theory's a big joke. (plus they get free publicity). To keep minds locked into the system. They do this on so many levels. Like anything you see in tv shows movies etc is put there to get people thinking that if it appears on a fictional film then it can't be real. A form of brainwashing. (prime example: the new X-files show)

But ya it pokes fun at conspiracy theorists because we're sorta in the know on a lot of matters that tptb don't want people knowing about.

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join