It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am in utter disbelief that this 'Flat-Earth' nonsense has gained some attention

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: theMediator

Really you could not find flights from Sidney to Santiago even as I put there the info of Qantas 27, present the flat earth map you want.

Are you sure it was the right way to do it? :p

I'm totally not saying you could be wrong, I just don't really understand your logic in the post...

well after all you cannot really understand things mariners can since 1600

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

I've found a direct flight from Sydney to Santiago from Qantas airlines. It says that it take 14~ hours...
I can't say if they really do it as I've not been on that plane but that time would be impossible on a flat earth.

Good argument.
edit on 30-1-2016 by theMediator because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent
well after all you cannot really understand things mariners can since 1600

I've been friendly all that time and you just had to be insulting.

I retract that smile from my last post!

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   

its not an insult, its a fact, sorry you have to retract a smiley

I can't say if they really do it as I've not been on that plane but that time would be impossible on a flat earth.

much respect

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Was watching a documentary on Jonestown yesterday and if that nutcase can convince hundreds of people to poison themselves I guess you can find people who will believe anything.
I've flown around the world and know for a fact it's round.
I don't mean it as an insult but to actually believe the earth is flat you must be very gullible and not very intelligent.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   
The world is full of idiots, that is all.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   

The 111 Km is the vertical distance of the north pole to Polaris, in what would be flat graph.
Problem. That puts Polaris 1.26º above the horizon at 5,000 km from the north pole ( 0.63º at 10,000 km). At 5,000 km from the north pole, Polaris is 45º above the horizon.

The only way Polaris can be at 45º at 5,000 km and at 0º at 10,000 km is if the world is round. That's one reason people have known the world is round for a very long time. And a very good reason it is.

edit on 1/30/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Wait, is this thread real?

Kinda early for April fool's stuff isn't it?

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

The 111 Km is the vertical distance of the north pole to Polaris, in what would be flat graph.
Problem. That puts Polaris 1.26º above the horizon at 5,000 km from the north pole ( 0.63º at 10,000 km). At 5,000 km from the north pole, Polaris is 45º above the horizon.

The only way Polaris can be at 45º at 5,000 km and at 0º at 10,000 km is if the world is round. That's one reason people have known the world is round for a very long time. And a very good reason it is.

Thank you for checking it out.

In the calculations I did, Polaris would be seen at a 27 degree angle from 1 degree north of the Ecuador if it was only 111Km vertically from the North Pole. At the time I calculated, I had seen information that a 30~ degree angle of view was the start of truly seeing stars in the sky.

So, for the flat earth model to fit, with the fact that most of the southern hemisphere doesn't see Polaris, it would have to be only at 111km vertically from the North Pole.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   

So, for the flat earth model to fit, with the fact that most of the southern hemisphere doesn't see Polaris, it would have to be only at 111km vertically from the North Pole.

Close enough.

So we can see that the model does not fit. Because that would mean that, at 5,000km from the pole, Polaris would be at 1.26º above the horizon. It isn't. It's at 45º. That's because the world is not flat.

At the time I calculated, I had seen information that a 30~ degree angle of view was the start of truly seeing stars in the sky.
What?

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   

In the calculations I did, Polaris would be seen at a 27 degree angle from 1 degree north of the Ecuador if it was only 111Km vertically from the North Pole.

No. From about 10000 km, a 27° angle would place Polaris about 5095 km above the pole.

Am I using this wrong? www.carbidedepot.com...

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   
There's a very simple way to determine whether the Earth is flat or not.Next time you go to the beach, look at the horizon and watch as ships slowly disappear and appear.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   

At the time I calculated, I had seen information that a 30~ degree angle of view was the start of truly seeing stars in the sky.
What? I can't remember if it was because of the angle of the horizon or because of light pollution but starting from a zero degree ground, one would see the stars from 30~ degrees in the sky from anywhere.

You think I got my numbers wrong? In a theorical flat plane, how many Kilometers in the sky do you think Polaris would need to be, to be seen down to 27 degrees in the sky from someone standing 1 degree north of the Ecuador?

Edit : DenyObfuscation just found it, it would be 5095 km.
edit on 30-1-2016 by theMediator because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: DenyObfuscation

In the calculations I did, Polaris would be seen at a 27 degree angle from 1 degree north of the Ecuador if it was only 111Km vertically from the North Pole.

No. From about 10000 km, a 27° angle would place Polaris about 5095 km above the pole.

Am I using this wrong? www.carbidedepot.com...

Niiice! Yes it says 5095km indeed. Damn, was far with my 111km, my fault all the way.
Thanks.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   

In a theorical flat plane, how many Kilometers in the sky do you think Polaris would need to be, to be seen down to 27 degrees in the sky from someone standing 1 degree north of the Ecuador?

Why would you want to know that? Polaris is not at 27º near the Equator. At 1º north of the equator, Polaris is about 1º degree above the horizon.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: LostThePlot
There's a very simple way to determine whether the Earth is flat or not.Next time you go to the beach, look at the horizon and watch as ships slowly disappear and appear.

Without a telescope, the same would happen on a plane...so, that particular argument is not a good sphere proof one.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Without a telescope, the same would happen on a plane

No it wouldn't. The object would get smaller. The bottom part of it would not disappear before the top part.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Why you keep arguing, you said yourself

that time would be impossible on a flat earth.

You just need to prove 1 thing don't work and that's it, the flight in 10 days cost $1500, buy a $5 timer and do it, if the flight time is what people claim flat earth is wrong

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Well the whole Polaris on a FE thing is bunk.

You're looking at it as a straight line.

What happens if you're to the the extreme left or right or the "flat earth"? Polaris would be out of place.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Why would you want to know that? Polaris is not at 27º near the Equator. At 1º north of the equator, Polaris is about 1º degree above the horizon.

So that would mean that even the people near-north of Ecuador can't see Polaris?
The closest I've been was 19 degrees north and obviously I could see Polaris but the angle of view would have been obviously higher than 30 degrees at that latitude.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join