It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ukraine liquidates legendary aircraft manufacturer Antonov

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Ukraine liquidates legendary aircraft manufacturer Antonov

Well this is interesting.

So with Antonov no longer supplying Russia with planes. What does this mean for Russia?

And I wonder if the Boeings of the world will now get access to Antonov IP.

"The Government has adopted a resolution on the liquidation of the State Aircraft Manufacturing Concern Antonov. The manufacturer's three divisions were transferred to Ukroboronprom," the Ministry statement said.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

There are other companies supplying Russia with aircraft, and plenty of Antonov aircraft being upgraded. Most Russian Antonov aircraft were assembled in Russia, they got parts from outside. They still have parts to assemble some aircraft as well.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

ok so not a huge deal for russia then.

Does antonov have any interesting patents that could come our way?

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

It's still a big deal, but it's not a huge deal yet. It will be eventually, just because there's a curve to get new cargo designs up and going. But they have time with all the new aircraft and modernized aircraft.

There are a couple of interesting modifications to some Antonov designs though. They're looking at putting Western avionics and cockpits on some of them.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Perhaps we may see that other unfinished An-225 finally realized?

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Theprimevoyager

There has been talk over several years that they were going to complete it, but age has become an issue now. They'd have to tear it down and do a lot of work on it at this point.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Theprimevoyager
Perhaps we may see that other unfinished An-225 finally realized?

It would be a wonderful moment. The 225 is the most beautiful plane ever. Hope it lives on

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
I figured as much. I know its been sitting for years and I also read somewhere they used the intended engines on some An-124s. Maybe on the existing 225 as well. Thanks for the reply.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

To say it's the most beautiful plane ever built is a bit of a stretch, no? It's staunchly utilitarian looking, has big fat shoulders, droopy wings, and no truly interesting design features besides the tail. It's a cool aircraft because of what it can do but it's not pretty.

top topics

join