It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lets kill political correctness and bring back Proper etiquette.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I stand corrected it was Hamilton at the hands of Aaron Burr. Thank you for the correction.

a reply to: greencmp

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: amicktd

I think the "Non-PC" crowd are the ones confused.

You are suggesting that racist, homophobic speech etc stemming from ignorance, should be policed and censored. I prefer to challenge and educate. Enforced social conditioning will only drive it underground to fester with undesirable results.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: amicktd
When I first heard the term "PC", I was under the impression it meant to have manners and still do.

If one were to politely refuse to service a gay wedding, that would be politically incorrect no matter how much civility was shown. If one were to respond to that with rudeness and name calling, it would not be politically incorrect no matter how ill mannered.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Thats why we should all work together as to establish guidelines for proper decorum which I believe here at ATS it is referred to as T & C's. Funny thing about that here and anywhere really is that those that are able to use a bunch of 9 dollar words to mask their venomous speech often get away with their rhetoric when in fact they are really delivering a polished turd of an opinion.

Politicians come to mind...

edit on 27-1-2016 by RainbowPhoenix because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   
This is one of those situations where a business can decline to offer their services as it is based on religious beliefs (I assume anyway). The business owner can also be as polite as pie about it and still be vilified and if that is the case that business owner may want to take stock of where their business is located and if their religious ideals are suited to that area. If they feel as though they can succeed in that area with that mindset then by all means. If not then it would behoove them to cater to the desires of the demographic of their area.

Those protesting the business do not have to do so in a loud and in your face manner either they can simply silently boycott which has worked with business for quite some time. They will get the point when people do not frequent their business any longer. That is if the sentiment of the community does not support that business ideals.

a reply to: VP740

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   
There's a way to be politically incorrect and at the same time not be offensive. You don't need to resort to name calling in the way Trump goes about it.

I wouldn't go so far as brushing all liberals with a broad brush. Political beliefs are not always black and white. To accept everything your political party believes is really being extremely narrow minded. It's why we have a political stalemate in our two party system. It's the main reason nothing is done on behalf of the American taxpayers.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I think one of the biggest issues I have with "Political correctness" today is that whereas general respect, courtesy, and giving everyone a degree of dignity they deserve, PC instead doesn't push you to respect others verses demand you acknowledge how privileged you are based on your skintone, gender, and sexual preference

It took me awhile to see this issue and ultimately the entire issue with progressives (anti-liberals) in this area because they can be confused as the same when its just explained casually, but you quickly notice the differences in how a PC progressive looks at the world and someone who is simply a respectful civil person.
Here is the issue
My skintone does not define who I am
My sex does nto define who I am
My sexual preference does not define who I am

In the fight for equality, I reject that we now much abandon all stereotyping for everyone unless you are a cis gendered straight white male, then feel free to stereotype away...in fact, you are now required to stereotype even yourself if you have some or all of those traits.
Anything less will be met with people taking your picture and posting it on social media, contacting employers demanding they do something about the racist/sexist person who works at the company, or just to bully for furthering their agenda (because they told a off color joke at a convention, or maybe they wore a dorky shirt during a interview that depicted women)

No, I say Eff that and those people..they are undoing what has been accomplished.

Mom said count my blessings. I do, I have been very blessed, and I dont regret or lament any of the natural advantages I have been born with (those being abled body, born in a western civilization country). No, I wont shut up if a black, trans, woman, or anything else wants to talk..they aren't more important than me because of their color or bits. regressives push this new form of segregation under the label PC...it is *not* the same as mutual respect

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: NewzNose
a reply to: RainbowPhoenix

I would like to see respect return. Respect for each other, children encouraged to respect their elders, have manners and we, as a world, bring back our collective humanity.

I'd love to see people worthy of respect return. But after seeing the crap that the people I know think needs to be on various social media...its hard to respect anyone with an account.

My son always talks about respect. He hates when I point out how, at 18, he has yet to earn any respect (nor learn how to show it to others first).

To the OP....the gist of what you say....

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Initially I didn't like the term "Social Justice Warrior", because first off, its used too often for anything that people find annoying, but it actually fits in some area
just not the "justice" part...
whereas a social activist will go out and try to make the world a better place, maybe start a petition for more programs for homeless people to retrain for work, a social justice warrior (sjw) spends most of their time not actually pushing for better realistic local change, but instead attacks
attacks as the warrior bit at the end says, they attack things they find offensive, they write articles on manspreading and cultural appropration, they moan about air conditioning that actually conditions the air and how people with a certain skintone lighter than their color pallet naturally are just loved for being the majority and therefore should feel shame

They attack everything, they go on social media and create vast blockbots to silence any opinions they deem a problem, they attack universities tradition to allow debate and speakers that dont see things progressively. They attack nationalism, conservatism, and now even liberalism.

social justice warriors is a fitting title, but I would just change the word justice to behavior for better accuracy

(I am ranting..got kinda angry at the "pro"gressives in the last year and a half)

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I am a new member but lurked for several years. The T&Cs are very clear. Address the post, not the poster.

Thats why we should all work together as to establish guidelines for proper decorum which I believe here at ATS it is referred to as T & C's. Funny thing about that here and anywhere really is that those that are able to use a bunch of 9 dollar words to mask their venomous speech often get away with their rhetoric when in fact they are really delivering a polished turd of an opinion.

I think you are on dangerous ground here. The T&Cs are non-negotiable and upheld by the moderators who do a great job. You are implying that they do not do a good job by asking for members to create guidelines. There is no discussion regarding the T&Cs, they are non-negotiable. You agree to them when you join. It sounds more like you are asking members to police the site.

What I have seen over the years is people getting offended and upset when their views or personal beliefs are directly challenged. I have seen a few ad-hominem attacks on this site and it says more about the person than their argument.

When it occurs just think "I am better than this and will not stoop to that level". After all it is only typed words on a screen. If it consumes you to the point of interfering in your everyday life or sleep then you need to question why it is affecting you so much (I don't mean you personally).

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I think you totally misinterpret me I am not asking anybody to be the manner police of ATS not at all, What I am talking about is bigger than that like as in life in general. We should all have a common understanding of what is and is not acceptable behavior and speech when in shared common space. A private party or residence is exactly that and if a person wants to go home and preach hate and whatever else against any particular issue that is their right but when you go in public people should know to put on their nice shirt and have some class and respect for others, simple.

a reply to: Morrad

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Being polite is only "worth it" when everyone does it, this is particularly clear when travelling from places around the globe where "levels" if you will of politeness are observed in everyday actions of passing strangers.

I feel that in some parts of england being polite to a higher degree or lesser degree is noticeable, as well as other countrys ive visited - im not going to start a whos more polite than who banterfest, the point is in places when a higher level of politeness is observed i personally felt like i mattered and that my existence acknowledged more than when a lower level of politeness is 'rule' of the area.

I guess this is a simply a development of humanity - we all claim to be individuals who matter, we vote, we come together when bigger threats are in front of us - but when its everyday business as usual walking around this is when being polite excels at making people feel good about being people and so id say a big plus one for higher levels of politeness everywhere. Because its depressing feeling alone, being alone, so why not hold a door for another, say excuse me, please and thank you and have the same courtesy returned?

politeness has of course got absolutely nothing to do with being politicly correct, the later being that it is as much about intelligence and personal observation as it is about being taught and abiding the law. being nice has nothing to do with being bad via obstruction of a situation of a 'PC' moment.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

being polite is my entertainment.

Polite people receive it well, and may engage in an enriching conversation with me because of it. While unpolite people will be taken aback, put off, and generally peeved.

The latter....is pure entertainment. Kill em with kindness first.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   

I reread your post and yes I did misread it. I apologise. A thoughtful and well written OP (I thought I had posted this but have realised I did not. I did S&F your thread).

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

it also prevents you from getting a Cop Burger.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   
No worries here friend no offense taken and I only hope I did not seem harsh in my response to you.

a reply to: Morrad

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Chivalry, manners, etiquette, honor, and other notions like these, have been deemed superfluous.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Morrad

I think the "Non-PC" crowd are the ones confused.

You are suggesting that racist, homophobic speech etc stemming from ignorance, should be policed and censored. I prefer to challenge and educate. Enforced social conditioning will only drive it underground to fester with undesirable results.

I never made that suggestion, just pointed out how "Non-PC" come across to me. In my opinion, they can say whatever they please. I was raised to respect your elders and others. This goes along the lines that you have to give respect to earn respect. Spewing hateful remarks towards groups of people isn't any form of respect. So I feel "Non-PC" people don't deserve respect, plain and simple.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   
An unfortunate truth which is why we need to bring it back and re-civilize society. We have become a nation dependent on social media and using memes to convey a point instead of intellectual discussion and dissemination of acceptable behavior. People seem so angry about everything nobody wants to sit and talk it out anymore and really get to the bottom of a situation. Just a lot of fist shaking and finger pointing followed by vicious personal attacks until a person is guilted and shamed into conforming.

Without going into detail a friend of mine posted something on FB that hurt my feelings especially coming from a friend. I did not speak on it until they text me one day asking a favor and I slipped a comment in about the issue to bring up the conversation. At first he said I should stop taking things so personally and that he didn't get upset when he saw things posted about a particular flaw of his. I broke the situation down for him and explained why what he said was hurtful and he admitted that he hadn't thought about it that way. I noticed that he has been putting forth more of an effort to not say or post those kinds of things.

Point being instead of going all zealot on him and renouncing our friendship I avoided him until he reached out then gently explained what the issue was and he conceded to my point and our friendship survived and is now even stronger.

reply to: TheTory

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join