It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lets kill political correctness and bring back Proper etiquette.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: RainbowPhoenix

You know, that's an interesting idea, but it won't work for several simple but rather obvious reasons.

First, PC is all up popular today for a number of reasons, but understand that its borne of disdain for those who are said to be NOT PC. The PC police and the authors of PC use PC as a tool against people they hate. And hate, fueled by jealousy, is the primary default emotional driver in the US today. Its a wonderful thing! Everyone in the US has a reason or excuse to hate somebody. And, if you're with the PC crowd, the government quietly endorses your hate for others.

Second; consider this: Your definition of "Etiquette"
is a code of behavior that delineates expectations for social behavior according to contemporary conventional norms within a society, social class, or group.

First off, there are no widely accepted norms of behavior in the US because the US isn't one society, its a bundling of many different societies with different accepted norms of behavior. So each society is its own "group" and the groups are largely differentiated by their hatred for one or more of the other groups........so you've never going to get members of different groups to agree to one set of accepted norms of behavior.

Sorry, but the reality is that ship sailed a long, long time ago.

Better might to be to simply begin pushing just one norm as acceptable. "Stay away from me and mine and out of our space and your mitts off "my/our" stuff!"
edit on 27-1-2016 by TonyS because: clarity

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: RainbowPhoenix
Some people are just too sensitive and gentle to be of any benefit to anyone or anything. This is a good example you presented. I do get where they are going with that but its kind of a no harm no foul thing where the pets aren't exactly standing up and saying "umm excuse me I find the term owner to be offensive". I guess the thinking though is based on newer information that animals are more cognitive than previously believed on top of the old notion which I agree with in that pets are like family. So it is considered brutish to view your relationship with them as ownership which coincidentally enough from a legal aspect it is exactly that.

a reply to: ketsuko

But all too often, if you look at who is really getting offended by things, it seems to be a group of people getting offended on behalf of another group who may or may not actually be all that offended.

SJWs who attack Native American mascots, for example, tried to go after the Seminoles of FSU, but the people getting offended by it weren't actually Seminoles! In fact, the Seminole tribe has a long-standing partnership with the university over the mascot and told the SJWs to shut the eff up. But it didn't, and likely still doesn't, stop people from getting offended over the Seminole mascot on their behalf.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   
This right here

seems to be a group of people getting offended on behalf of another group who may or may not actually be all that offended.
a reply to: ketsuko is what causes people to be leery and suspicious of certain movements being part of some larger agenda that is part of some elaborate scheme that is not in the best interest to the people. I admit in some ways with certain movements it does appear as a particular group or groups may be being exploited to push an agenda.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I thought I would post this as it is kind of a good example of this subject assuming the content is accurate. First time posting a video so bare with me as I hope this works

For those of you who are or were Dave Chappelle fans you will appreciate this. I honestly believe in the case of Mr Chappelle what he was doing was actually helpful to society and bridging the gap between cultures and showing us its ok to be different but still respectful to one another. Which is exactly why he had to go and why he was painted in the light that he was.

Ok I'm just posting the link because I can not for the life of me figure out how to post a video Dave Chappelle theory

Its about an hour long and makes sense.
edit on 27-1-2016 by RainbowPhoenix because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: amicktd

You missed the point. Political correctness is not synonymous with politeness. One can be PC and still be rude, predigest and racist. In fact PC often encourages rudeness and hostility; both from the pro and anti PC crowd.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: VP740

You missed the point. Political correctness is not synonymous with politeness. One can be PC and still be rude, predigest and racist. In fact PC often encourages rudeness and hostility; both from the pro and anti PC crowd.

Yes, I was just coming back to this thread to point that out.

Remember Black Lives Matter? It isn't politically correct to criticize them. And it definitely wasn't PC to say All Lives Matter. In fact, people in high profile positions were so hounded by the PC mob with nastiness and threats that they apologized for saying All Lives Matter.

I ask you ... what is so rude and out of bounds about those words? You can disagree with them, but those who proudly fly the PC banner often do so claiming to be on a whole other plain of civility and politeness, but then if you don't express yourself and your thoughts EXACTLY as they want you to ... they descend into the very depths of hatred they accuse you of.

It's hypocrisy at its finest and its one reason why I'd rather die than call myself PC.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: RainbowPhoenix

Agreed, I like the idea of:

1. Putting facts before feelings.
2. Being assertive, not aggressive.
3. Eliminating the "do as I say, not as I do" philosophy.
4. Stopping the label-makers from pigeon holing every God damn persons personality, social status and political ideology.
5. Recognizing that respect is earned through righteous deeds, not tears of "woe is me, give me a safe space so I can surround myself with like-minded individuals and then proceed to criticize others without being criticized"
6. Recognizing precious snowflakes and bringing to their attention their hypocrisy.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

I can't stop having shivers all over from reading that

Much respect Sir

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   
the problem is a lack of common sense.
we live in a world where people don't drink beer until the mountains turn blue and tell them it's cold enough, paint tins now have 'do not drink' on them.
and people wonder why we need some political correctness?
it used to be natural selection but it would be cruel to have half the globe wipe itself out due to gasoline ingestion.
for us normal people, yes it is annoying but, unfortunately necessary.
there are of course racists and bigots that want have their own form of 'political correctness gone mad' hysteria.
they however, are racist and bigots that don't realise the world moved on from the the 1950's.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: stinkelbaum

Most of that is a product of suing people in court for their stupidity getting out of hand (the "everything comes with a handbook the size of a dictionary of things you shouldnt do" so the makers are covered.

But yes, it is because of somone along the lines having a lack of common sense. But who actually read all that now theres so much to read, ever fully read half the license agreements you agree to on the internet?

Common sense is lacking more commonly than you realise (you the general you, not you specificity stinkelbaum).

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Although I *can* see where too much PC can be a problem, trying to bring back proper etiquette can get a bit extreme, as well.

For example, does your view of proper etiquette have the woman staying at home, a slave to her man and unable to work and be independent? Or does it insist that gay people aren't as free as straight people? Does it expect everyone to go to church every Sunday? These are just some examples of how "proper etiquette" can get a bit extreme as well because in these cases it is pushing one's views on another (the same as the PC crowd does).

Other than that kind of thing, I can see a lot of benefits to proper etiquette.
edit on 27pmWed, 27 Jan 2016 19:26:48 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Should we be talking about "killing" political correctness? I feel like this is a microagression trying to stifle my freedom of nonexpression

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Poly(as in many) tics(blood sucking creatures)

I love how we debate to debate it

but then good stuff is good stuff

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Oh lawd...I have tissue

a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 03:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: RainbowPhoenix
Political correctness (PC) - the avoidance, often considered as taken to extremes, of forms of expression or action that are perceived to exclude, marginalize, or insult groups of people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against.

Etiquette (/ˈɛtᵻkɛt/ or /ˈɛtᵻkɪt/, French: [e.ti.kɛt]) is a code of behavior that delineates expectations for social behavior according to contemporary conventional norms within a society, social class, or group.

I'm not really quite sure where to start with this and I thought about maybe posting it in political madness but decided here was more appropriate. Political correctness is something we or most have all come to know more and more these days while etiquette seems to be something that so many have forgotten or abandoned. As a member of a fringe minority demographic I often find myself and members of my little group often defended or defending ourselves using political correctness while lambasted by those who disregard any sense of courtesy or etiquette all while claiming PC is ruining this country.

All that being said I would like to say that I am no fan of PC myself and think that there are clear differences between PC and proper etiquette (PE) with one being what should be the standard and the other a kind of fad used by a very liberal, progressive and aggressive type that seek to silence or shame anyone who does not agree with them. While PE has always been around which varies regionally, adapts and changes with society as a whole as time passes.

To me it seems as if the key difference is that PC implies that you have to think a certain way and you are wrong if you don't because "we" say you are whereas PE is really more of an expectation of a decent and civilized behavior as held by the standards of a given society within common shared space. You see with PC people feel attacked and when attacked people lash out in defense of what they believe in, which I think just divides the gap even more with so many people on opposing sides of issues. With PC you feel forced to think or act a certain way but with PE you act in accordance with what is expected of you because you want to because it is the right thing to do as a member of your society or community for that matter.

Basically it boils down to being allowed to feel however you want about any particular issue with your right to express that opinion legally protected. That being said one should understand that it is in all of our best interest to put our best foot forward in the name of civility and basic courtesy PE. For example If I invite you to my home for a get together and you arrive and realize that you do not like a few of my guests and decide to be rude or vocal about it I am going to ask you to leave in the name of PE because anyone under my roof has my guarantee of a warm and welcoming environment free of fear from harassment or ignorance. Another more common example if out shopping and we pass one another and you do not agree with my right to exist and you verbally express that then I too will express that I think you are rude and carry on about my business. I will not sit there and argue with you about right or wrong or try to beat my opinion into you. No, I am more than happy to let you have your opinion and distance myself away from you and your views.

In short if you want to be an A-hole then go right on ahead and be an A-hole just don't cry about it when people call you out on being an A-hole. Don't whine and say "I'm tired of this political correctness ruing this country yada yada yada" instead understand that you may have expressed the wrong opinion in the wrong setting and have offended people. As for people that are so easily offended and seek to reform and convert all people of this green earth into thinking like you then please stop for all of us your just making the jerks want to fight and argue more. Just let them be jerks in peace and quite. I will throw an example of my non PC conformity with this as an example - gay pride parades please police your own and tell the guys that are dressed in thongs gyrating on one another in that one little section of the parade to stop. Its in bad taste for any two people of any gender, orientation or whatever to behave and dress like that publicly whether you have the right to or not. To be fair to all the media does have a tendency to focus on and exploit the more extreme aspects of any given issue or demographic to both make money and do thy masters bidding in swaying public opinion.

No, Lets kill political correctness and bring back freedom of speech.

Hate speech laws, tolerance preaching, anti discrimination and 'diversity' laws have has their objective the suppression of free speech. Not all weapons of war are weapons of violence.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Maybe I don't understand, because I've honestly never given much thought on this topic. Ever since I have heard the term "PC", I haven't once been told I'm not allowed to say/do something. So please give examples of things you can't do/say thats a direct result of the "PC movement".
edit on 28-1-2016 by amicktd because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-1-2016 by amicktd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   

You can usually say and do un-PC things, but you will be criticized and looked down upon. A trivial example is using the terms BC (Before Christ) and AD (Anno Domini nostri Iesu: in the year of Our Lord Jesus Christ). The politically correct terms are BCE (Before Current Era) and CE (Current Era). Christian culture is to be expunged from common culture. The various gods from other cultures which show up in the days of the week and months of the year are OK though.

More serious influences promote racial tensions (anti-zionism for instance). My Hispanic wife is far more affected by PC race relations than I am. You might think a Hispanic woman would be protected by political correctness, and that's true to an extent. However, a white boss getting onto a black employee for racism isn't very PC. There was one black co-worker in particular who made fun of her accent and told her not to talk to her because she couldn't understand her (my wife's job required her to give orders to this woman). She was generally treated very lightly for this type of insubordination. My wife was told by management that this woman should have been fired months ago, but they feared legal repercussions. She was eventually fired for cussing at a patient in front of people. That example isn't exactly politically correct, but it's a consequence of PC culture.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: VP740

Based on your latest reply, I'm lost. Sounds like the black lady was being "rude" to your wife, so maybe that was a bad example. I'll be more clear on what I want to know.

One can be PC and still be rude, predigest and racist.

Any examples?

In fact PC often encourages rudeness and hostility; both from the pro and anti PC crowd.

Any examples?

I'm sure there are many stories that highlight exactly what I quoted since "PC" is such a huge deal to certain people these days. So please share some recent news stories of the above so its more clear...thanks.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: amicktd
a reply to: VP740

Based on your latest reply, I'm lost. Sounds like the black lady was being "rude" to your wife, so maybe that was a bad example. I'll be more clear on what I want to know.

One can be PC and still be rude, predigest and racist.
/quote

Any examples?

You likely won't follow other examples any better. Jeremiah Wright shouting god damn America? Colleges discriminating against whites and Asians, and giving preferential treatment to others based on race?

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 06:22 AM
link   
The worst offenders of PC are racists.

They rarely admit they are racist even while trying to claim their racist attacks are merely the cessation of PC.

Trump comes to mind. When he admits to being racist, then, maybe, maybe, he finally stops being PC. But lying about being racist is required to advance one's political opportunities.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join