It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nearly completed A380 rolls out

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Personally, my favourite is the A318, a fairly new regional/business jet from Airbus. I dont know why I like it, its just got character.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Eh, ok I guess... If I am ever to own an airline company I will not purchase such an aircraft as it is inefficient for business (who sales out seats these days?) and if/when one goes down it's all over...

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I would so love to get into this conversation, but I don't think I will.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Having worked first hand on products for the RR engines on this plane I am proud it is getting ready to fly. But at the same time I doubt it is going to be very popular. But as with all planes you never know until you try something out, and this may be the 21st century 747 (I know the 747 is as popular as ever). I am waiting to see if it is going to perform the way the computer say. If it doesn't, Airbus is going to take a real punch to the gut. I wonder if they solved all of the weight issues they were having.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Off_The_Street
I would so love to get into this conversation, but I don't think I will.

Please, join us in these festivities friend... I have a bun shortage and Gatorade.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Having worked first hand on products for the RR engines on this plane I am proud it is getting ready to fly. But at the same time I doubt it is going to be very popular. But as with all planes you never know until you try something out, and this may be the 21st century 747 (I know the 747 is as popular as ever). I am waiting to see if it is going to perform the way the computer say. If it doesn't, Airbus is going to take a real punch to the gut. I wonder if they solved all of the weight issues they were having.

Yeah I’ve only heard good things about the RRs... Have you had the chance to do the PW engines? Are they as crappy as some say?

Hey, what do you guys feel about such a big airliner? I just think that it’s so big that with current materials that it might have structural problems... And if a crash where to happen on a fully loaded flight be it shot down, impact, or system failure it would devastate the company.

And I don’t think that Airbus would take that big of a hit if it doesn’t make it off the ground as it is funded far better then it should be.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 09:48 PM
link   

ChrisRT
Hey, what do you guys feel about such a big airliner? I just think that it’s so big that with current materials that it might have structural problems... And if a crash where to happen on a fully loaded flight be it shot down, impact, or system failure it would devastate the company.

And I don’t think that Airbus would take that big of a hit if it doesn’t make it off the ground as it is funded far better then it should be.

todays materials can easily keep something as big as the A-380 from falling apart. and if it were shot down or hijacked to hit the ground or a building virtually no fault will lie on Airbuses shoulders.

- If this plane for what-ever reason cant fly, It would be a devistating blow to Airbus. Its there flagship, just like the 747 was when Boeing created it.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 12:14 AM
link   
The PW engines are a joint effort with GE and PW. They are AWESOME, live up to every claim. Think 4000 series plus improvements. That is why they are outselling Airbus's pick for premier engine (being the RR) 2 to 1. And remember each plane has 4 of these babies. So we are talking big money for PW and GE. The A380 if anything will usher in a new and better age for technology of all kinds. I was a bit skeptical of the huge fan low thrust theory, but it seems to be paying off for fuel efficiancy and reliability, and that is good news for the consumer.

[edit on 11-1-2005 by mxboy15u]

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 12:25 AM
link   

I was a bit skeptical of the huge fan low thrust theory, but it seems to be paying off for fuel efficiancy and reliability, and that is good news for the consumer.

Nice! Care to explain what the theory is about the big fan low thrust? Do they have less compression or whatnot? Still, the thing has got to cost thousands to fill the tanks.

Come to think of it, if they use this for something like Seattle to Tokyo or Russia they would have ~1000 on board. This thing probably only carries twice the fuel of a 737 yet ~3-4 times as many passengers. Aside form the maintenance the flight would probably generate ~2 times the cash flow of other airliners.
This just may work out for popular routs.

todays materials can easily keep something as big as the A-380 from falling apart. and if it were shot down or hijacked to hit the ground or a building virtually no fault will lie on Airbuses shoulders.

Oh, I was talking about the airline company and not Airbus. Just take a look at TWA and the other 2-3 that had a DC-10 and whatnot crash. I know they had their circumstances but I don’t think it would matter too much to the general public.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Great photo!
Iam a Boeing fan....my father works for them so I guess Im biased.

But I do love the A340...thats a beautiful plane and Im quite excited to see this giant take to the skies soon!

The A380 is either going to make or break Airbus....when Boeing came up with the 747 they bet the whole company on it and much is the case with Airbus Industrie.

somebody meantioned in a earlier post....yea the A340 dose have a window in the lavatory....makes quite an interesting trip to the lav!

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
It looks nice.
It's not as big as I imagined it to be.

You kidding? THAT PLANE IS HUGE!!!!

Look at those ants...er....people next to it. HUGE!!

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I recently flew in a A318 and let me tell you it is roomy for a small jet. Also it has a huge LCD touch screen for the cabin crew to control all the lights and everything.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by b777pilot

But I do love the A340...thats a beautiful plane and Im quite excited to see this giant take to the skies soon!

- Have to agree. The A340 is an elegant classic design. Not too dissimilar to the stretched DC8/63.....I think it's the slenderness that sets it apart from the much 'fatter' 'stumpier' Boeing 707 types.

The A380 is either going to make or break Airbus....when Boeing came up with the 747 they bet the whole company on it and much is the case with Airbus Industrie.

- Naaaa, I doubt it.

They have already started off on the next part of the plan. The A350 completes the picture.

The A350 and the A380 are the big deal.

The A380 hasn't even flown yet and they are half way to break even on sales.

somebody meantioned in a earlier post....yea the A340 dose have a window in the lavatory....makes quite an interesting trip to the lav!

- That I'd like to see! On a clear day over some interesting lanscape I imagine that would be fabulous.

Originally posted by Kriskaos
I recently flew in a A318 and let me tell you it is roomy for a small jet. Also it has a huge LCD touch screen for the cabin crew to control all the lights and everything.

- I've been on many many jets and I have to say I find Airbus aircraft quiet, modern, light, with a bright roomy feel and good fixtures.

(although in fairness much of this is down to the fitment the operator demands and there is the usual 'doesn't matter which make of plane it is' appalling leg-room thanks to the standard crappy 'allowance' in tourist/cattle class).

Mind you my favourite is/was the L1011 Tristar. Comfy, quiet and smooth as you like.
Nice plane.

[edit on 13-1-2005 by sminkeypinkey]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join