It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU Schengen Agreement could be suspended for 2 years

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 05:27 AM
link   
www.telegraph.co.uk... EU are now going to be having talks in the next few weeks to look at suspending the Schengen Agreement for 2 years. If this is agreed it will be bought in as early as May to try and stop the flow of migrants.

I can see this being the beginning of the end for the EU. Already lots of Countries are bringing in border controls and closing borders with fences. The EU is built on the freedom of movement for citizens to wotk and study. The common currency the Euro also relies on this.

When the Schengen Agreement came into place it seems they didnt think furthet than free movement within the EU. They didnt think about the external borders being protected in case of invasion. To say their view was shory sighted is an understatement.

The reason why the migrant crisis has been handled so badly is because there are no external borders in Italy and Greece so what should have been free movement for citizens of these countries has become free movement for all the world. People from far and wide have just been able to walk freely in without any checks and carry on to their preferred destinations.

In my opinion its like shutting the stable door when the horse has bolted. The damage has bedn done and we havent got a clue who is in our midst terrorists, criminals etc.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 05:38 AM
link   
a reply to: anxiouswens
It appears that the UK was absolutely right and sensible by not signing up to the Schengen open borders agreement.
Certainly those thousands of men camped at Calais would all be here now if we had.
Hopefully this mess will encourage more Brits to vote out in the referendum.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 05:46 AM
link   
I can honestly say I havent spoken to one person who is voting in. All my friends, family, acquaintenances, small businesses look at me like I am mad when I say how will you vote, like do you even need to ask!

The only people who I can see voting in will be the fat cats.

Anyway, as you said every little helps. I am beginning to think EU want us to vote out with some of the decisions they have made in past couple of weeks ie trying to blackmail us into accepting 90,000!a reply to: grainofsand

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 06:01 AM
link   
I don't actually know anyone in real life who is voting 'in' either, aside from Polish, Czech, Slovak, and Lithuanian friends but they won't get the vote so their opinion is irrelevant.
Yeah keep on crashing the train I say to the EU, it just encourages more of us to vote out.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 06:36 AM
link   
I know a couple of Poles and a Slovakian lad who reckon we should vote out. They plan on staying though and since they're in work will probably be ok to.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 06:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
I don't actually know anyone in real life who is voting 'in' either, aside from Polish, Czech, Slovak, and Lithuanian friends but they won't get the vote so their opinion is irrelevant.
Yeah keep on crashing the train I say to the EU, it just encourages more of us to vote out.

Yup every week brings a new EU horror story.

Hell we dont need a "out" campaign as the EU are already doing the work for us!

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 06:43 AM
link   
I'm not sure exactly what you're getting at here, can you break it down a bit? How do you think the Schengen agreement affects migrants that originate from outside the EU?

That link didn't work btw.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK
I used to know a couple of Polish guys who supported us leaving as well, they also planned to stay, hard workers, definitely good examples of immigration.
The types I'd choose in a points based system.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 06:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: MagnaCarta2015
I'm not sure exactly what you're getting at here, can you break it down a bit? How do you think the Schengen agreement affects migrants that originate from outside the EU?

It's the internationally recognised authority to stop people at the border, search them and their vehicles, demand identification, and importantly, keep them on the other side of the fence if necessary.
That's what not being signed up to Schengen is all about.
edit on 23.1.2016 by grainofsand because: clarity

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

It's quite striking how much they jump in to our culture too.

A lot of fun down the pub, mad about footy etc.

They do tend to struggle with rugby though, when it comes to egg chasing, the French are the best Europeans to be at a match with.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Im sure anyone from Poland etc will be able to stay as long as they are working and I dont think many Brits are against that although the liberals try and make out it is to do with racism. It would mean though we can have people here who we need and not all the criminals who want an easy ride.a reply to: SprocketUK

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   

You are quite right there.
Though if you think about it, whenever the left loses the factual argument they have to play their bigot card to distract.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Because such as this week Brussels tries to tell UK what they can and cannot do and changes the rules to suit themselves by telling us we wont be able to deport illegals using the first safe Country.

Then also we have been overruled time and time again by European Courts and Human Rights when wr have tried to deport hate preachers.

A lot who are sat in Calais have took advantage of open borders. If the borders were more stringent half of them would never have made it to France.a reply to: MagnaCarta2015

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I like Polish people, they are hardworking, polite, friendly and bring the best of their culture therefire adding to ours without trying to change ours. I have a few Polish friends and really they are very similar to british people.a reply to: SprocketUK

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Schengen agreement was designed for business people traveling across Europe. It was a hassle having to go through security checks and passport control every time they visited a client in a neighboring country (especially for anyone living in a small country or close to a border). Having borderless countries meant that it easy for anyone going on a holiday or business trip to move around. It also meant that illegal immigrants could wander around Europe too and head for the nearest country with the largest welfare payouts.

Shutting down the Schengen zone is the only way this problem can be fixed. But they're only going to do this once national elections are over.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Too often the europhiles try and paint the rest of us as bigoted little Englanders who can't get on with people from other countries.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: anxiouswens
Im sure anyone from Poland etc will be able to stay as long as they are working and I dont think many Brits are against that although the liberals try and make out it is to do with racism. It would mean though we can have people here who we need and not all the criminals who want an easy ride.a reply to: SprocketUK

It would be great if they could stay. Unfortunately, unless the standards are drastically lowered across the board and a whole new process is implemented there is nothing within the current or previous iterations of the points based system that would allow the majority of Poles to be here because they wouldn't qualify. It's only the EU rules on free movement that allow them in to do the jobs they do. So if we're out of the EU the choice is to either relax the restrictions for the whole world or the Poles will have to go, that's the way immigration law works.

I work in immigration. The borders across the Schengen area are open and relaxed in comparison to ours but the regions where trains and roads cross from one country into another are mostly policed with very few exceptions and have been since the agreement was first put in place. The areas that are hotspots for refugees are being heavily policed now. It's the numbers that are being caught and processed that's causing the problems not the lack of checkpoints.

The press is making out that mainland Europe is this giant open expanse of land where anybody can just walk from one side to the other with ease and never be stopped, it's not like that at all.

If we had signed on to the Shengen agreement there would still be checks at our ports and at either end of the channel tunnel. That comes with being an island.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   
You guys need to do whatever you need to do to preserve the wonderful place on Earth called Europe. It's worth it.
Of course the immigrants are people , but Europeans are people too, and as such they deserve the right to protect the civilization it has taken centuries to create.
edit on 1/23/2016 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 08:22 AM
link   

It would be great if they could stay. Unfortunately, unless the standards are drastically lowered across the board and a whole new process is implemented there is nothing within the current or previous iterations of the points based system that would allow the majority of Poles to be here because they wouldn't qualify. It's only the EU rules on free movement that allow them in to do the jobs they do. So if we're out of the EU the choice is to either relax the restrictions for the whole world or the Poles will have to go, that's the way immigration law works.

Actually a good many who have been here a while could apply for citzinship. And I would welcome that.
Though nothing to say the law cant be changed to allow them to stay anyway.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I know and yet I have muslim friends, Indian, Polish, Zimbabwe, Chinese, Somalian, French, Maltese, Italian n Egyptian, Turkish and Hungarian. I have that many diverse friends that when I used to live in Jersey and we were out for a meal with friends we realised except for 2 of us no one was from the same Country. Thats what makes me laugh so much when I am accused of being racist, bigoted etc. Some who do the name calling have probably never moved outside of their Country! reply to: SprocketUK

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join