It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America’s First School District to Serve 100% Organic Meals

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
a reply to: enlightenedservant

" organic " is NOTHING BUT a label

read what USDA " certified " actually means

and tell me that you thing crops sprayed with rotenene are " healthier "

(facepalm) Did you even read the article in the OP? Or anything I typed? This is what the article says:

As Justin Everett, consulting chef with the Conscious Kitchen, explained on Tuesday, “By embracing fresh, local, organic, non-GMO food, this program successfully disrupts the cycle of unhealthy, pre-packaged, heat and serve meals that dominate school kitchens.

How does this statement in the article or anything I posted have anything to do with what you keep posting? This article isn't about "big government labels blah blah therefore farmers use blah blah and those labels really mean blah blah". In fact, it even says this:

The organization says meals will be accompanied by nutrition and gardening education. The Conscious Kitchen previously served 156 students at Bayside MLK Jr. Academy, where it first tested the program starting in August 2013. Over the course of two years, the founders said, disciplinary cases decreased and attendance increased.

How are you interpreting this article as a bad thing? How? There's nothing bad about this article or this initiative unless you're invested in GMOs and you're pissed because you're missing out on product sales.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: lSkrewloosel

Just gotta throw a little insult in there, huh?

id expect these answers from Americans to be honest.

Most families just can't afford to be as snobby when it come to putting food on the table. It's not that they're neglecting their kids or don't want to feed them better, it's a matter of how much they can put on the table with what little money they've got.

www.consumerreports.org...

We compared more than 100 product pairings in all. On average, organic foods were 47 percent more expensive

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
a reply to: onequestion

the idiot is the person who believes that :

organic = healthier

GMO free = healthier

neither label has any in-built assurance of health benefit

GMO free and organic have assurances of not being laced with Organophosphates or other pesticides. If you don't think that's a healthier alternative, I doubt anything can convince you. The number of calories in a food isn't the sole statistic regarding whether it's healthy.

Regarding the costs, it's the taxpayers in that school district who are paying for it, so it isn't costing "all of us" more money.

Folks who want the extra neurotoxins in their children can just drizzle some on their food or buy and have them bring their own lunch to school.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
a reply to: lSkrewloosel

Just gotta throw a little insult in there, huh?

id expect these answers from Americans to be honest.

Most families just can't afford to be as snobby when it come to putting food on the table. It's not that they're neglecting their kids or don't want to feed them better, it's a matter of how much they can put on the table with what little money they've got.

www.consumerreports.org...

We compared more than 100 product pairings in all. On average, organic foods were 47 percent more expensive

This is true, however, most (not all) Americans still eating neurotoxin-sprayed foods are doing so because they prioritize other things over organic foods - in other words, it's a choice, which is fine.

I have a hand-me-down TV, do all my own home, car and electronics repairs/upkeep/upgrades. Doing so allows me to spend the extra 20% (approximately) to avoid the pesticide-laced foods for my family. We also have so little waste and eat so little "junk" food, that we likely spend less than the average neo-conventional food eaters.

Our choice, our priorities. I don't fault anyone for different choices, though it would be nice if we could have real clarity on what the short and long term costs of spraying neurotoxins on our foods are, so people could make more informed decisions.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   
This is Marin County :

www.nytimes.com...

www.bookwormroom.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

So I'd opine the parents would rather provide foie de gras and pheasant under glass way before they'd pay their fair share of taxes or having their $$$ used for the less-affluent..

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

neither GMO free nor " organic " is eiter pesticide or herbicide free - please do keep up FFS

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   

sigh - this scheme is going to be expected to produce 1000 meals / day - 5 days a week - 32 weeks a year that means commercial " organic " farming supplied through wholesale depots

further niether " gmo free " nor " organic " is required to change from :

unhealthy, pre-packaged, heat and serve meals

as for corrolation // causation of the claim :

Over the course of two years, the founders said, disciplinary cases decreased and attendance increased.

yeah right - the schoool diet did this - they didnt impliment ANY other policy changes - fooking lying muppets

lastly - the only reason i am pissed is because retards continue to regurgitate the lies of " organic " farming

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   

If it promotes a heathly diet then so be it.

I love the term "genetically modified" and I love teasing folk about it. We have been domesticating animals for thousands upon thousands of years but yet folk will spend thousands of dollars on a purebred yet inbred Mastiff because it has papers to prove that it is the real deal.

What's the harm of creating a drought resistant crop? What's the harm of creating a more bountiful crop? We have been cultivating crops for thousands of years and yet we are still here. It's not like farmers are directly injecting cancer into their crops and I can say with all honesty that the only thing I sprayed when I worked on farms was weeds.

Next thing you'll hearing about is how giving birth causes cancer.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

If it promotes a heathly diet then so be it.

I love the term "genetically modified" and I love teasing folk about it. We have been domesticating animals for thousands upon thousands of years but yet folk will spend thousands of dollars on a purebred yet inbred Mastiff because it has papers to prove that it is the real deal.

What's the harm of creating a drought resistant crop? What's the harm of creating a more bountiful crop? We have been cultivating crops for thousands of years and yet we are still here. It's not like farmers are directly injecting cancer into their crops and I can say with all honesty that the only thing I sprayed when I worked on farms was weeds.

Next thing you'll hearing about is how giving birth causes cancer.

Yeah, a lot of the food we eat is genetically modified in some way. Modifying plants and farm animals has been going on since the beginning of time. I think where the fear comes from is when science starts getting a bit too extreme splicing completely unrelated things and using questionable chemicals.

Your other point about droughts, etc is well taken and often over looked. Can we really sit up in our high horses in the civilized world and tell some third world # hole they can't have a strain of genetically modified rice that can feed their whole village because it is resistant to droughts and other pestilence?

The reason these companies are investing heavily in GMOs, etc is because it is the easiest way to feed the world. Local, natural farming simply cannot supply enough food for everyone. yes, it would be nice if everyone's chicken was raised indoors and taught to the read before slaughter, but that simply is not how the world works.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Students should know what's involved in the process of growing produce. Having a garden at school where everyone contributes and eats from would be a great collaborative project and make it more feasible for schools to eat "organically".

It's certainly not cheap.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: PhantomOrion

Students should know what's involved in the process of growing produce. Having a garden at school where everyone contributes and eats from would be a great collaborative project and make it more feasible for schools to eat "organically".

I live in a fairly wealthy school district. Most of the elementary schools have decent sized gardens where some fruit and vegetables are grown. Every year, a local chef hosts a big dinner where all the food comes from the garden. it is nice and educational, particularly since I am in a big city most of the kids probably have no clue about where their food comes from. However, in no way is it possible to supply enough food to feed several hundred or thousands of kids daily from a single local farm.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: PhantomOrion

I live in a fairly wealthy school district. Most of the elementary schools have decent sized gardens where some fruit and vegetables are grown. Every year, a local chef hosts a big dinner where all the food comes from the garden. it is nice and educational, particularly since I am in a big city most of the kids probably have no clue about where their food comes from. However, in no way is it possible to supply enough food to feed several hundred or thousands of kids daily from a single local farm.

You make a very good point.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: elementalgrove You forgot ConAgra, Cargill and Tyson Foods. Oh, and now that it merged with Nabisco, Philip Morris.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23 Why are your organics that much more? We buy organic, and the only significant difference is on meat. We get around that buy buying meat directly from the farmer.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: riktus

The other day I went grocery shopping. There were two separate bins of Avocados.

The first one I saw said they were "4 for $5" (=1.25 each). The second bin said "Organic Avocados" - they were $.99.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I remember when schools banned pop(soda), I was in school when it happened. they replaced it with "juices" same caloric content. just no caffeine. sucked.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Any adult who does not insist that every student in the country in every school in the country, does not have nutritious, tasty, abundant, wholesome, organic foods and menu's and snacks of all kinds is a psychopath.

Same is true with the whole world ie. before you dream of businesses and ways to try and snare people into slave jobs for your dream, before you dream of inventions, and city planning, all the things that the elite come up with: if you don't ensure all people share in the current technologies, and have decent homes, land and nutritious, organic, tasty meals, (when all these problems have long been solved world wide and there is no lack no shortage at all, aquaponics is but one solution of countless others), you are a psychopath.
edit on 23-1-2016 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 01:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99

let me correct that for you :

Any adult who does not insist that every student in the country in every school in the country, does not have nutritious, tasty, abundant, wholesome foods and menu's and snacks of all kinds is a psychopath.

the true pshycopathy is the delusion that " organic " was a required caveat in the above quote

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join