It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America’s First School District to Serve 100% Organic Meals

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 02:59 AM
link   
www.offgridquest.com...

When schools in California’s Sausalito Marin City District return to session this August, they were the first in the nation to serve their students 100 percent organic meals, sustainable sourced and free of genetically modified organisms (GMOs).

Oh hmm, such novelty... Students don't need healthy well balanced diets in order to learn!

Honestly how can we pay for this when we need to hand over another 10 billion to Lockheed to create even bigger weapons to blow ourselves up with.

I suggest students loans be taken out by these children if they want to eat healthy. They are already entering a life of indentured servitude when they get out anyway

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 03:25 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

pandering to idiots seems to be al the rage in america this year

i wonder what escuses will be trotted out when this program yeilds no tangible long term benefits

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 03:27 AM
link   

I bet this isn't an inner-city school district. The only school district's that will probably be able to afford to go organic are suburban schools. Inner-city schools are screwed on funding, so I guess they'll be stuck serving GMO foods.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 03:27 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Feeding kids healthier food will not yield tangible long term benefits?

Who's the idiot in this instance?

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 03:47 AM
link   

the idiot is the person who believes that :

organic = healthier

GMO free = healthier

neither label has any in-built assurance of health benefit

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 04:22 AM
link   
I think it's great to have all organic foods for students. But let's be fair. Now other students aren't being treated similarly, quite frankly, it would be sending a message to them that they aren't worth it. Just a thought in this day and age of 'everyone gets a trophy' mentality.

But, CA is broke. Too many on the dole, bad government spending; they're already one of the highest taxed states in the US. Unless they can show the food is the same price as GMO foods, I don't see how they can carry on with this for long.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 04:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

the idiot is the person who believes that :

organic = healthier

GMO free = healthier

neither label has any in-built assurance of health benefit

Organic food has nothing to do with a label. If I put a seed in some dirt & water it, it's organic. If an elephant eats a fruit, poops out the seeds, and the seeds start sprouting in its poop, it's organic. If a rabbit nibbles on a random leaf in the middle of a forest, it's eating organic food. Chemical & genetically "enhanced" foods are the new & unproven stuff, not the other way around.

I actually think schools should have public gardens on their grounds, and grow some of the foods used in their cafeterias. As long as they use real seeds, fertilizers (like making their own compost), and don't use chemical sprays, the crops would be organic and sustainable.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 04:52 AM
link   
I can see the motive in this as wanting to feed the kids the what they think will be the "best" food available.
But when the costs blow a whole in the side of the schools budgets then it will be back to feeding the little ones with whatever they can find in the basment.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 05:09 AM
link   
a reply to: riktus

Maybe they can spend less money on these massive campuses, sports programs, and administrative fees and actually feed and educate these kids right?

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 05:14 AM
link   

pandering to idiots seems to be al the rage in america this year

i wonder what escuses will be trotted out when this program yeilds no tangible long term benefits

Right!

Whoever does not like their foods saturated with pesticides and herbicides is clearly an uniformed moron.

Kids in America are healthier than ever and we have our diligent food suppliers and our heroic governmental regulation agencies to thank! Not to forget the ever benevolent chemical companies!

Shout out to you Monsanto, Dupont, DOW, the Grocery Manufacturers of America, the FDA, NIH, USDA and all those who have gotten rich in the process

edit on America/ChicagoFridayAmerica/Chicago01America/Chicago131amFriday5 by elementalgrove because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Wow! The ignorance in this thread is astonishing!
Or maybe I'm just not seeing the sarcasm?

A very recent study found that 60% of Europeans have weed killer in their urine, this rose to 75% in the uk!
Anyone who thinks thats a good thing needs reprogramming!

Organic food is less harmful than food saturated in carcinogenic pesticides fungicides herbicides insecticides etc etc.

What about the cancer epidemic? Whats causing it huh?
Oh no we mustn't blame the toxic food, or the toxic water!

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Makes sense ( if affordable that is) kids that eat organic foods are smarter. The OP'S story reminds me of when Mrs. POTUS jumped on the healthy food bandwagon yrs ago

I

Among the California families, the average IQ for the 20 percent of children with the highest prenatal organophosphate exposure was seven points lower compared with the least-exposed group.

link

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 05:55 AM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

the true ignorance is the people who believe that :

organic = chemical free

this myth is utter bollox .

" organic " farmers get to spray rotenone

read the toxicity data carefully

then do the same for all the other " organic legal " chemicals that are ` allowed `

safer - my arse

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 05:57 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

" organic " is NOTHING BUT a label

read what USDA " certified " actually means

and tell me that you thing crops sprayed with rotenene are " healthier "

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 06:28 AM
link   

a reply to: VoidHawk

the true ignorance is the people who believe that :

organic = chemical free

this myth is utter bollox .

" organic " farmers get to spray rotenone

read the toxicity data carefully

then do the same for all the other " organic legal " chemicals that are ` allowed `

safer - my arse

I'm in the uk so maybe there's differences, but we should note there now exists two types of organic farming.

1. Farmers who have realised they can get more money if it can be labeled Organic. Those farmers are who you refer too when you speak of rotenene. Their products are what we see in the SuperMarkets. Anyone genuinely into organic food would never touch Supermarket organic food because A: Its of very poor quality, and B: Its not genuine organic, for the reasons you specified.

2. The genuine organic farmer does not use chemicals! I know where my food comes from. I am regularly invited to spend time on the farm where my food comes from.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

The usual mantra when they want to steamroll something through or excuse spending way too much money ......
"It's for the children"

This is a waste of time and money. These kids are going to get one organic meal a day, which is not going to off set the "regular" food they eat at home, not to mention all the junk food and soda.
edit on 22-1-2016 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Oh hmm, such novelty... Students don't need healthy well balanced diets in order to learn!

Honestly how can we pay for this when we need to hand over another 10 billion to Lockheed to create even bigger weapons to blow ourselves up with

are you actually serious - how the hell can you see this as a negative, this is one of the most positive things ive heard in a while. People having healthier and natural organic food is an issue. You rather your kids eat crappy fat burgers and health issues. Food is easily one of the main sources of cancer and other critical health issues.

how can this be a negative. i wish to see all schools feed kids or students healthy meals. GMO foods are terrible, why have a genetically modified lab made food instead of naturally grown food?

you don't put diesel into a petrol tank do you? why, the car dies. Why have a issue putting decent fuel in your body rather than crap

such a stupid response from you part in my opinion from you part.

God help you children in terms of food they eat, good luck picking up their medical bill in a few years!

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

This is a waste of time and money. These kids are going to get one organic meal a day, which is not going to off set the "regular" food they eat at home, not to mention all the junk food and soda.
ide of schools to balance this.

i suggest that people concentrate on giving their kids decent food out side of schools as well to counter act your argument.
good food = good health benefits and long lasting positive life. If its easier for you to feed kids crap then shame on you all to be honest!

id expect these answers from Americans to be honest.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 07:04 AM
link   
You would be better off preparing your children's lunches then relying on the school to serve them meals. Organic does not always equal healthy and organic does not mean pesticide/growth enhancers free.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 07:08 AM
link   
The program will be accompanied with nutritional and gardening education, as well as learning about the GMO controversy.

I think its a great idea, but they should teach them also that "organic label" is largely a scam as well..

top topics

<<   2 >>

join