It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aircraft related things to see in or around Seattle.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Imagewerx

They were for Mk.4 unguided rockets. They were designed to be salvo fired at incoming bombers and they could carry 24 rockets.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   
So they were aimed by pointing the aircraft and firing all 24 at the same time,or in batches?

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Usually batches. Four to five at a time depending on target size.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 11:36 PM
link   
So it disappeared inside when not in use,or it was fixed there?

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 11:41 PM
link   

It retracted into the fuselage. Technically it was designated the YF-95 originally. It later became the YF-86D It carried no weapons besides the rocket pod. The L, was a D with an upgraded cockpit and engine and changes to the wing.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Ok thanks Zaph.

Been in Seattle for two days now and it's rained both days. Where's that wall-to-wall blue skys and sunshine they always show in the brochures? (LOL and all that,I know it's forecast that way from sunday onwards here.)

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Seattle only gets three days of sun a year.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Apparantly your president is in town for a few days and the various security agencies have been told to make sure the weather is perfect for his visit. The three days start tomorrow.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   

The bran new pavilion at the Museum of Flight opens for the first time today. They are giving out grab bags of goodies for the first 500 people through the door today and tomorrow.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sammamishman

The bran new pavilion at the Museum of Flight opens for the first time today. They are giving out grab bags of goodies for the first 500 people through the door today and tomorrow.

Ok thanks I was going there during the week when it's a bit quieter but knowing this I MIGHT go there tomorrow instead.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Yesterday I was mostly at McChord AFB (or JBLM as it's also known) for about an hour or so. Pretty quiet except for a couple of Hercs that took off.

Hopefully Zaph can tell us something about the Hercs. No unit markings and just USAF and the serial number on the tail?

Today I was at Lake Union watching Kenmore Air doing their thing,photos from that when I've sorted them out.

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   
They're MC-130J Commando IIs. Special Ops aircraft. They're replacing the E/P model MC-130s. MC/AC-130s are painted that dark grey and only have the USAF and tail number on the tail.
edit on 6/26/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Where on the fence did you end up going to get those pics?

posted on Jun, 27 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

By the landing lights,opposite the bit you can't park on. I used a large aperture (small F number) on the lens so the fence mesh wasn't in focus.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Yesterday (Sunday) I spent some time at Lake Union watching the comings and goings of the Kenmore Air Otters,Beavers and Cessna float planes. I know they have been flying from their for some 25 years without any accidents,but the potential for something very serious to happen with so many different water users seemingly oblivious to what to me is EXTREME danger. There isn't even a bouyed off channel in the middle of the lake for them to use,they just have to taxi around until they can find a clear stretch of water to use for their take off run. In England we'd have a half mile wide 'runway' clearly bouyed off along the middle of the lake and a Police or similar boat keeping all other water users at least 100 metres or further away from that.
In this first photo the prop is still spinning at taxying speed,but the fast shutter speed makes it look stationary.

More can be found on my Flickr......Flickr
edit on 28-6-2016 by Imagewerx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Today I did the tour of the Boeing production line at Everett or Paine Field. The tour was really enjoyable,but I was a bit disappointed that they didn't take us inside the paint hangar. The Stratodeck viewing area was about the best I've ever been on with the armchairs,and the tower/ground radio playing through the speakers there was also a neat touch.
In case you don't know you're not allowed to take any sort of camera or electronic devices on the tour,so you'll have to take my word for how awesome it is.
It was nice to see the Dreamlifters landing and taking off though. Shame you lot nicked the idea from our Super Guppies used for transporting Airbus parts around Europe (Just LOL ing with you!)

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Oh man, are you camping up here? I just got a complete haul from REI and want to test it out. Couldn't find any of my camping stuff after the move so new tent, pad, stove, sleeping bag, DOG sleeping bag (shudup, love my boy), and more on the way.

Have you hopped over on any of the islands (not really aviation related)? You should definitely ride a ferry if you're in WA. You might try Whidbey. I make fun of island people (Schuyler) for being weirdos (because they are) but the islands and peninsula are beautiful. Whidbey has some pretty amazing spots, just got back. If you're up North already take deception pass and maybe do some hiking, it's a gorgeous drive. You might like to check out some of the old bases there. If you're driving it is a BLAST on the islands. You get these scenic views of the sound, woods, farmland and sometimes all three at once which is a trip. Fort Casey is pretty neat to see. I went with the lady friend and two dogs so I couldn't really open up the WRX as much as I was hoping around twisties, but it's still fun zipping around.

How much time do you have left? If you want a weird fun drunken night head down to Ballard or Fremont or Capitol Hill. Good bars, nice people, you'll see something worthy of a story. Shoot go to all three, they're pretty freaking close together. They are ordered from least weird to weirdest. Recommend Alki Beach in West Seattle, also recommend Golden Gardens (when I was a youngin' I used to walk there, it's beautiful and fun to cook up some grub), Lake Union is really fun with a canoe or kayak once you get under the bridge.

I've never been a huge fan of tourist stuff in downtown Seattle. I've never ridden the ducks, and probably never will. The space needle is meh (maybe more fun if you aren't scared of heights), EMP (experience music project) was one of the most boring things I've done here, and while I appreciate crazy architecture don't appreciate it. You might have a good time at the aquarium. You should definitely go to Pike Place Market, I remember wasting an entire day just combing through different shops, looking at all sorts of stuff. Seattle Underground Tour is sort of hit or miss depending on if you like history. Last time I went I enjoyed it, when I was a kid, not so much. You might just walk around though, Seattle seems more fun when you don't have an itinerary, but that's how I feel about most places.

Cascade loop highway is a fun drive. If you like hiking there are a ton of places to go. Visit the ice caves (carefully, people keep getting killed) or hike to a lake.

I personally love going up HWY 9 and getting lost with a camera when I take an exit. There are so many interesting shots, and I really like old or abandoned farm buildings/houses. Be a little cautious, some people are going to get pretty pissed if you trespass. HWY 2 is fun too if you branch off sometimes.

Snohomish is a fun little town, they've got some great local wines and food.

Leavenworth is sort of neat. Little bavarian town near the pass. It's touristy but also fun.

If you have time, there is a place in Sequim (pronounced squim, I don't get it either) on the peninsula that you can drive through and feed bears and see other wildlife.

NorthWest Trek is in Tacoma (around an hour South from Seattle) and you may or may not some native wildlife.

Those last two might be boring, you all have bears and stuff in England right?

Hope something was helpful, let me know if I can get more specific. I've been in WA for all my 31 years and it would take a mountain of money to get me to leave. The real beauty is getting out and doing your own thing. It's a 1 hour drive to put me away from civilization for the most part. Gorgeous skies and you noticed the green right? Don't tell anyone, but we get a lot of pretty blue sky and the rain is worth the location.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Hear hear. Although I'd stay out of the buffalo enclose at the Olympic game farm. One buffalo in particular must have something against me and damaged two of my cars on two separate occasions.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Great shots, now you see why I love it here.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Thanks for the advice. No I'm not camping (I was in Yellowstone) but as always now I use Airbnb for lodgings while on holiday. I'm flying home on Thursday so only have today and tomorrow to get the things done I planned to do,it's a shame you didn't see and answer this when I first put it up back in January. Doing the Museum of flight today,so MIGHT have time tomorrow to do one of your suggestions.
edit on 28-6-2016 by Imagewerx because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join