It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Friday Now? Global Selloff on China Worries, Oil Plunge

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   
As I post this, DOW is down 365...
Hopefully, things will turn up later in the day, but, clearly, this is not good.

There’s the opening ball, and it’s an ugly start.

S&P 500 — down 32 points, or 1.8% at 1,889

DJIA — down 282, or 1.7%, at 16,099

Nasdaq — down 142, or 3%, at 4,474

9:27 am
We’re less than five minutes from the opening bell and Dow futures are down more than 400 points.

S&P 500 futures are down 2.4% and Nasdaq futures are pointing to a 3% decline.

blogs.marketwatch.com...

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Wait till it gets to the -900 s then it will start to really show

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   
-432 at this moment and dropping like a rock

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:07 AM
link   
The DOW has been in negative territory all week, now it's just dropped -422.33 points today alone and still falling, perhaps we are witnessing the start of another crash like 2008.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Maybe this will start the purge.
It is overdue.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Here is a picture of it all.
money.cnn.com...

I don't really follow this, but is this a really bad thing?

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: crappiekat

As the market goes, it could be a good thing; this market has been in correction mode for several months now and what's been missing is a big blow-off to the downside to flush out all the would be sellers. Once that happens, greed will creep back in and buyers will come back to the party to pick up bargains. The market has been long overdue a correction like this.

As the business climate is concerned, this market action appears to be bad news because it appears to be tied to some very bad, alarming, business news. That news is, for example, US industrial output has slumped for three straight months; retail sales are in the toilet, and said to be in worst slump since 2009; and the Oil bust has sucked billions out of the economy and put many companies in danger of bankruptcy and default on their corporate bonds.

I "think" 2016 will turn out to be a brutal year for investors with the smart money selling on up days and putting that money into bonds rather than buying equities on market slumps. After Hillary's coronation in 2017 the market might begin to right itself.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

And now Walmart has announced it will be closing 269 stores. Love or hate Walmart but that's more people being dumped into the unemployment pool.

edit on 15-1-2016 by texasgirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Meh...stock markets crash; yet they always come back stronger than before. If it does not happen to rebound this time, then we are all going to be in the same boat; broke...yet, food will still be produced, the human species will survive and the world will keep turning.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: texasgirl

Yeah, the announced Walmart and Chipolte closings are not good either.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Thank you for your reply.

Yea, Hilary will fix everything. LOL!!

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: crappiekat
Here is a picture of it all.
money.cnn.com...

I don't really follow this, but is this a really bad thing?

Fear and Greed index at 9( on the fear side.... Xtreme Fear).
Can't be too good.
edit on b000000312016-01-15T09:49:22-06:0009America/ChicagoFri, 15 Jan 2016 09:49:22 -0600900000016 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: texasgirl

And now Walmart has announced it will be closing 269 stores. Love or hate Walmart but that's more people being dumped into the unemployment pool.

And yet we have the typical ATS crowd still yelling about increasing minimum wage.

Wal-Mart laying off 16,000

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: texasgirl

And now Walmart has announced it will be closing 269 stores. Love or hate Walmart but that's more people being dumped into the unemployment field.

Seems like the Walmart closings are much ado about nothing. Walmart is closing 269 stores globally, but opening 405 new stores. Of those, only 154 (mostly small "dollar store" sized) are in the U.S. However, they are opening between 135-155 new stores (mostly "super-centers") across the nation.

Wal-Mart said Friday it will close 269 stores across the globe, including 154 in the U.S. The world's largest retailer also will open as many as 405 stores globally in the coming fiscal year, as it shifts its focus toward Supercenters and Neighborhood Markets in profitable locations.

The world's largest retailer also said it will open 50 to 60 Supercenters and 85 to 95 of its smaller Neighborhood Market locations in the U.S. during the fiscal year that starts Feb. 1.

That's in addition to between 200 and 240 international stores, and seven to 10 new Sam's Club locations.

More than 95 percent of the closed U.S. stores are within 10 miles of another Wal-Mart store. When possible, it will transfer store associates to nearby locations.

Source

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: WeDemBoyz

Interesting. I wonder if they'll actually follow through with the new store openings?

Walmart revised it's earnings forecast lower back in October and stock lost about 10%.

edit on 15-1-2016 by texasgirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Because nothing dries a speculative market into the ground better than speculative fear

I seriously hope it crashes because the whole system is broken and our governments keep doing their best to prop it up despite being a supposed free market

Let it crash, let it burn, then let's make a better system that actually functions on more than speculation

It's kind of funny, this article was in 2012 Dow will repeat 2007-2008 peak-crash cycle yet it's, excuse the pun, bang on the money

As long as these reckless morons keep never learning from their mistakes the market will always keep failing

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: texasgirl

Very, very true; and I've wondered if the push to higher minimum wage has broken the Walmart business model. I agree that the minimum wage needs to be raised, I'm just saying that Walmart was basically built on a near slave labor business model and those days are over.

The other thing I've noted is that while it had been the case that Walmart was a good place to save money, today....not so much. They've kept prices the same by stocking products that are 1/2 the normal size and that's put Walmart into the Family Dollar category. According to their metrics, year over year foot traffic into the stores is up; guess so, people run out of stuff faster when the sizes of the products have been cut in half.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Looking at this,
money.cnn.com...

it doesn't seem Xtreme. Or am I missing something?

OHHHH, OK I get it now. I had to go back and read it again.
edit on 15-1-2016 by crappiekat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: crappiekat

Yea, well I think the adults on ATS know that Presidents rarely fix anything with regard to economics. I'm just hoping that Hillary will stay off the TV more than Obama has. Obama has a very nasty habit of making one of his speeches during the Soap Opera hours and that really ticks my wife off! I'm tired of hearing her scream at the TV!

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: crappiekat
a reply to: butcherguy

Looking at this,
money.cnn.com...

it doesn't seem Xtreme. Or am I missing something?

OHHHH, OK I get it now. I had to go back and read it again.

All 7 indicators are at Extreme Fear level right now and the reasons are explained for each indicator.
Sorry, I missed your edit!
edit on b000000312016-01-15T10:25:59-06:0010America/ChicagoFri, 15 Jan 2016 10:25:59 -06001000000016 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join