It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Friday Now? Global Selloff on China Worries, Oil Plunge

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   
When people are losing, someone is always gaining...

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Walmart should cut costs by removing 22 of the 24 (however many it is) checkout stations in their Supercenters. Every time I visit one of them, there are generally only two lanes open at the checkouts with lines of a dozen or so people at each one.
Lame-arse stores anyway.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   
The Dow closed at 15,998. Worst start to year, ever.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I don't think it is nothing more than a selloff, at best a long needed correction.

Right now the dollar is the place to go because everyone else is fooked

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: yesyesyes
Iran is getting ready to sell their oil. That can cause USA some trouble.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Walmart should cut costs by removing 22 of the 24 (however many it is) checkout stations in their Supercenters. Every time I visit one of them, there are generally only two lanes open at the checkouts with lines of a dozen or so people at each one.
Lame-arse stores anyway.

Remember how Walmart raised its wages about a year or two ago, and now it's closing stores? Coincidence?

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Shanghai composite is down 18% this year, DJIA is so far more resilient at -8.25%

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out through the first quarter.

Lots of points lost, but really it's just 2.39%

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I wonder how long it takes when people are using credit cards to finance cost of living rises, in lew of wage rises for the credit limit to be reached. Its my guess that a significant amount of public debt is interest only payments on credit. At some stage the credit card system will have to hit the wall, at 20 per cent interest on a lot of cards that might be one good reason that sales have fallen.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

The first thing you do in a credit crunch / recession is pay off your debt as quickly as you can. Americans heard that advice and followed suit. Rising credit scores across the nation over the last few years reflect this. People adapted.... at least those who weren't complete idiots.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: crappiekat

You do realize the keywords like "China, the world, global selloff" specifically DONT refer to only the USA

and from the blog itself

Global equities plunged Friday on concerns about China and plunging oil prices. U.S. stocks didn’t avoid the carnage. Here’s a recap of our live blog following all the actio

But you had to go and clutter the thread with the possibility of who will be Prez of the MIGHTIEST NATION ON THIS EARTH!
sheeez~!

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

The biggest problem our economy faces is financial illiteracy

So being paid by commission you don't encourage churning of real estate? Do you have 20 properties, living off the rental income? - as most real estate agents always tout the benefits of real estate when historically R/E under performs the Stock Market.

You didn't mention the 2008 collapse where a lot of companies were bailed out by taxpayer bailouts, the toxic assets were later bought by the same perpetrators for cents in the $ and repacked and resold to the public.

You also fail to consider how real estate bubbles are formed and crashed, to the benefit of the money printers (banks) who hold a license to print fiat money, and encourage demand.

Yeah figures you would put your money in something that appreciates better than Real Estate. Every real estate agent I have ever dealt with bar 1, kept the illusion up. You were saying about financial illiteracy?

Both RE and Stock markets are rigged, its as simple as that!

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

Not here. We've been diligently paying ours off ever since this mess started back in 2008. We only have one card now with an outstanding balance and it's low enough we could wipe it out if we had to.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

Iran is getting ready to sell their oil. That can cause USA some trouble.

You've made my day! ( I pity the common folk in the USA - but a global change is needed )

www.wsj.com...

In interviews, officials say they are studying barter deals involving European goods, investment in foreign refineries and switching the benchmark used to price Iran’s petroleum.

Great news they wont be accepting US$ for payment, the USA's House of Cards may finally be collapsing;
Possible reactions include invasion/regime change in Iran or a concerted effort of attack by Fed and JP Morgan through financial instruments and shorting.

see this for rationalizations
theeconomiccollapseblog.com...

edit on 15-1-2016 by TheConstruKctionofLight because: clarification

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Remember how Walmart raised its wages about a year or two ago, and now it's closing stores? Coincidence?

If a company that has such a high Market cap that controls supplier pricing from China cant factor what a 20/30% wage rise into its spreadsheets will look like in 12 months time; well I don't really think you know how business works.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

The first thing you do in a credit crunch / recession is pay off your debt as quickly as you can. Americans heard that advice and followed suit

I think people are really suspicious now, they are tired of being the meat in the sandwich. They are hanging onto cash as well. Possibly why Sweden is experimenting with charging negative interest rates on cash in bank

www.businessinsider.com.au...

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Concerns over the China situation coupled with the fact that those stores were all within 10 miles of another store, likely they were the older facility.

Walmart foresees hard times and is already experiencing a slimmer profit margin because people are spending less.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Don't pitty America. She's had her head in the clouds for far too long. If she can no longer defend freedom, then she should fall. History has a way of balancing the books.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 11:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: texasgirl
a reply to: TonyS

And now Walmart has announced it will be closing 269 stores. Love or hate Walmart but that's more people being dumped into the unemployment pool.

And yet we have the typical ATS crowd still yelling about increasing minimum wage.

Wal-Mart laying off 16,000

Do you really believe that all the employees on minimum wage working at walmart are responsible for all the stores that are shutting down....?....

what makes you think the employees have in fact anything to do with the loss ?

For the fiscal year ended January 31, 2015, Walmart increased net sales by 1.9% to $482.2 billion and returned $7.2 billion to shareholders through dividends and share repurchases. Walmart ranked first on the 2014 Fortune 500 list of the world’s largest companies by revenue.

poor poor me

Raising the minimum wage what a joke,the company is doing quite well and yet cannot look after its staff...that is the very essence of greed

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 01:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
a reply to: crappiekat

As the market goes, it could be a good thing; this market has been in correction mode for several months now and what's been missing is a big blow-off to the downside to flush out all the would be sellers. Once that happens, greed will creep back in and buyers will come back to the party to pick up bargains. The market has been long overdue a correction like this.

As the business climate is concerned, this market action appears to be bad news because it appears to be tied to some very bad, alarming, business news. That news is, for example, US industrial output has slumped for three straight months; retail sales are in the toilet, and said to be in worst slump since 2009; and the Oil bust has sucked billions out of the economy and put many companies in danger of bankruptcy and default on their corporate bonds.

I "think" 2016 will turn out to be a brutal year for investors with the smart money selling on up days and putting that money into bonds rather than buying equities on market slumps. After Hillary's coronation in 2017 the market might begin to right itself.

Save for the last bit about Hillary this was the most astute and accurate representation of the current market machinations. It's a correction. An overdue correction.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT
May be off topic some, but what I find odd is how they say there is a recession every 7 to 8 years.
If you knew there was going to be a recession cycle wouldn't you figure a way of breaking the cycle.
Are they taking our retirement funds in said cycle?
The money is going somewhere. Do you sell out of a false panic at a loss and the wealthy come along and buy on the low and sell it back to you at a higher price.
This crap makes me wonder sometimes.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join