It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thank you, Oregon militiamen

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I have alway's been pro gun rights, but after reading of the recent shooting by of a militia member by a fellow militiamen. I must say this situation is making me rethink the gun control situation. I lived on open range and have little use for ranchers that drive their cattle into gardens and laugh as they destroy the work of others.

The actual tittle and introduction to the article:

Thank you, Oregon militiamen: The longer you stay, the more ridiculous you and the conservative movement look

The Oregon militia is a gift to liberals, because every day they stay, the more absurd and embarrassing they become

It’s hard to overstate how ridiculous and incoherent this demand is. These men are, to the last one, pretty hard-line conservatives, with ringleader Ammon Bundy being a registered Republican and Tea Party sympathizer. In other words, these are people who want to dismantle the social safety net and resent the federal government providing basic life necessities to people in need, such as food, shelter and healthcare.

But while they resent every bite of food going into a poor child’s mouth, they are threatening a violent standoff on the grounds that the taxpayers should be feeding their cows for free. And let’s be clear, this isn’t a “cow rights” issue. They want the taxpayers to feed their cows, but rest assured, they plan to keep all the profits off selling the cows we fattened up for them. It’s the equivalent of a car company asking the government to simply give them the steel for free to make cars.

Their ability to make themselves look bad isn’t just limited to exposing the naked greed and entitlement underlying their demands. They’re also reminding the public that they live in a fantasy world and their stunt is little more than an opportunity for a big game of Let’s Play Pretend.

sourc e

For those who would defend the militias actions, I thought you need to see how others are viewing tis scandalous situation in Oregon!

Give Bundy prison time!

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   
This movement was doomed from the get go. And here is why:

If you look at what is going on in Oregon and what happened in Nevada, there is a big difference in the way it was handled and ultimately the main part, and that would be the support of the local population. In Nevada, the number of people who supported the Bundy's was at a tipping point and threshold, the way the Federal government handled the situation, was also about botched up. The country watched, and weighed in, from the common man all of the way up to big name politicians, and the message was very clear, that the majority of the public both in the local area and around the nation, though that the Bundy ranch was in the right and that the federal government went too far. The militia's that went down there, enjoyed popular support and people were supporting them across the country. Even large name politicians were coming out in favor. The federal government decided to back down and try more legal means and went back to court, still proceeding today. Be it that they win or not, or even that the Bundy's pay up is another story. Even the those against the Bundy's has skeletons that was making the other side look bad.

Now we come to Oregon and they are hoping to pull off something successful again, however, it is not going as they want and ultimately, it is going to go badly for the milita group this time. They are not getting the same support as Nevada, the local and national support is not there, more people think that what they are doing is illegal and that is playing against them, even worse they are viewed as a joke. People are more inclined to believe that the militia group is more likely to cause and start shooting, rather than be the ones to be the victims. The ranchers that they are there to support don't want them there, want nothing to do with them, nor do the majority of the local population of Burns. Many others, like big name politicians and militia's are in short leaving them out in the proverbial cold. And more and more they are being told, to just go home and leave. Their actions are causing more harm than good and now the questions have been raised that no one is wanting to answer, as the answer is too plain and obvious, and people are now uncomfortable with the entire situation. While the country does not want another Waco or Ruby Ridge, at the same time, there is a social tipping point, and it is slowly starting to weigh in favor of police and law enforcement going in and forcefully removing them.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Give Bundy prison time!

But only after he pays the bill for destruction of public property.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad

Cattle men are the worst people in America. I'm a farmer, but I don't get to plant federal land...these ass hats killed all of the Buffalo and screwed everyone to get their land for grazing.

They represent the downside of the 2nd amendment. ..greedy bastards

+10 more 
posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Cool opinion and cool story, you know what they say about opinions... Salon is very well known as extremely leftist / statist. I'm sure there are plenty of people that could care less what some opinion piece from Salon has to say.

Here is another link, with an interview of someone who is actually there in Oregon. There is mention of local people coming by peacefully to see what the deal is, as well as people even coming by to offer up some food and firewood.

Funny how the place isn't even closed to outsiders and no shots have been fired yet. Regardless of your opinion on these guys motives, your OP is just an extremely bias hit piece that belongs more in the political mud pit than the current events forum.

link   

Don't u dare conflate guns with morons

+3 more 
link   

Many do not have the same view as you do.

Many are tired of voting for a liar who makes promises they never keep.

Many are so tired of political hacks and their initiates that rather than allow them to destroy our freedom any more than they have already done, that they have decided to take a stand!

A PEACEFUL STAND, by protests of the near past I might add. No stores being burnt to the ground, no police cars that are paid for by tax payers being destroyed, etc etc....

As far as your support for the second but in this case you understand?

I hope you are one of the firsts to be forced to surrender your arms!

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

Cattle men are the worst people in America. I'm a farmer, but I don't get to plant federal land...these ass hats killed all of the Buffalo and screwed everyone to get their land for grazing.

They represent the downside of the 2nd amendment. ..greedy bastards

Hmm. Maybe if there was no federally owned land you would be able to grow and maintain public land? Also, around these parts a lot of the ranchers and farmers are on private land and tend to get along pretty well.

Ever think that your animosity is just because you feel the federal Government is giving these "cattle men" a subsidy and not you?

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   

I made it this far.

But while they resent every bite of food going into a poor child’s mouth

Then I had to stop and check the source for this hyperbole.

Salon. LoL

A conscious effort aimed at less bias reading material may help your feigned outrage.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   
These High Plains Grifters and the so-much-for-well-regulated-militias are making for great humor. The Bundys rank up there with the Robertsons of Duck Dynasty. Both Preppy Preppers who wouldn't know how to even pack for a Girl Scout camp out.

They need to get the hell out of Burns and let the locals determine what they want to do. They need to quit using the situation to garner support for their absurd Sovereign Citizen ideas, for which they are acting as useful idiots in the drive to give the land to the states, whereupon it would immediately be sold off/privatized for big box logging and mining and energy interests.

These people are rooting through file cabinets and destroying federal property. How much time does one do in federal prison for that? Their defense would probably be, said in a pleading, whiny tone, "But the government officials should have come in and stopped us!"

A joke begins---So this flock of loons fly into the wildlife refuge....

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

There is a difference between gun control and the disarmament of all citizens the US of A, but I would not expect a dolt to know or understand this.

Edit: No guns though would be great for those of us that love our bow hunting!

edit on 14-1-2016 by AlaskanDad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

Salon is pretty bad. So is ThinkProgress and MotherJones. Can't believe a word of what they puke.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Salon is one of the worst liberal propaganda websites on the planet. I feel dirty after visiting that website.

and no I'm not republican

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: desert
These High Plains Grifters and the so-much-for-well-regulated-militias are making for great humor. The Bundys rank up there with the Robertsons of Duck Dynasty. Both Preppy Preppers who wouldn't know how to even pack for a Girl Scout camp out.

They need to get the hell out of Burns and let the locals determine what they want to do. They need to quit using the situation to garner support for their absurd Sovereign Citizen ideas, for which they are acting as useful idiots in the drive to give the land to the states, whereupon it would immediately be sold off/privatized for big box logging and mining and energy interests.

These people are rooting through file cabinets and destroying federal property. How much time does one do in federal prison for that? Their defense would probably be, said in a pleading, whiny tone, "But the government officials should have come in and stopped us!"

So you're saying you know how to pack for a Girl Scout camp out?

*retains laughter*

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: desert

Did you read the link to the on-site interview I posted? It addresses some of your thoughts here.

They have stated clearly that they will leave if the local community requests they do so. As far as big box mining / energy interests, you realize the most efficient means of that happening is via corporatism and crony capitalism, right? Both of those notions require Statist control and involvement.

Also - some folks in these various "militia movements" are posers and try-hards, but there are plenty of these folks that are former military, including (as stated in the interview I posted) a MARSOC sniper. I personally know civilians who get together to train sometimes here in TX that are mostly former infantry marines and a couple SOF guys (who spent multiple deployments training dudes who live in mud huts how to fight asymmetric warfare)...

This thread seems like a bunch of opinions without really tying into the facts of this current event...
edit on 14-1-2016 by SonOfThor because: spelling

edit on 14-1-2016 by SonOfThor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 04:16 PM
link   
grrr nvm
edit on 1 14 2016 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlaskanDad
The actual tittle and introduction to the article:

Thank you, Oregon militiamen: The longer you stay, the more ridiculous you and the conservative movement look

The Oregon militia is a gift to liberals, because every day they stay, the more absurd and embarrassing they become

Well, the left always had the best comedians anyway and when it comes to something like this where it's easy to just pretend correlation = causation, it's also super easy for a halfway decent comedian to make a stupid joke and pretend the political right and/or libertarians are responsible for this.

For the record, comedians are often people who wanted to be serious writers or journalists and were rejected for one reason or another. They can keep their # together just long enough to make a bunch of stupid jokes and get paid so they can buy some more drugs.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I agree with the sediment "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar..." BUTT- #1) Where are We getting the story from ? Do these folks have an agenda? And I mean a righteous agenda and not just fodder for an ATS™ thread. Are We sure it isn't just a ruse/subterfuge to remove folks from land that is ripe w/minerals?

There was another ATS thread that had documentation from 2012 that that land indeed had gold..

Or is it something like this?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Probably a member of either the Walton Cabal or Simplott Cabal want the land to soak the U.S. taxpayer for Wild Burros while they suck fund$

namaste

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   
For those that are whining that this is an opinion piece, I stated that in the OP along with my reason for posting a biased opinionated article.

From the OP:

For those who would defend the militias actions, I thought you need to see how others are viewing this scandalous situation in Oregon!

Heroe's or idiots, it is all just a matter of opinion!

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI

Salon is one of the worst liberal propaganda websites on the planet. I feel dirty after visiting that website.

and no I'm not republican

Welp, there goes your star.

Kidding

top topics

<<   2 >>

join