It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mrs Obama's $2,095 Dress at the State of the Union Address

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Either I have done a very poor job of getting my point across or I have a fundamental difference of opinion with most of you who have replied.

People who have worked hard to gain their wealth have every right to buy whatever they want. I have no issue at all with this.

I think it's okay to wear upscale wardrobes to state dinners whereby there are dignitaries from various countries.

There is a time and a place.....

Let me try the following example.

You decide to volunteer at a food line to hand out food to the less fortunate. You drive up in your Cadillac, your chauffer opens your door, you walk up to stand in line with your mink coat and high heel shoes and place cookies on their trays. Your there for 30 minutes and then leave.

How do you think the less fortunate will feel.

It demonstrates to me a lack of real understanding, callousness, and insensitivity. It demonstrates a class structure and it's okay to throw it in your face

If you still disagree with me then I have better understanding how materialistic and shallow many of you are.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Sad day on ATS when the political trolling has gotten to the point that we are discussing the price of a dress.

Still any excuse to have a pop at Obama

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
If I was a designer, I would be sending Mrs. Obama dresses at every chance. It's a huge advertising opportunity. I highly doubt she paid for it.

They would not be able to legally accept the dress as a gift.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: bucsarg
During the Presidents State of the Union Address he brought up the issue of financial inequality in the USA and we as a nation need to work toward correcting it. (not his exact words)

In this mornings Huffington Post news it stated Mrs Obama's dress is worth $2095.

Am I missing something here!?

Yes, you missed all the other expensively clad ladies, some didn't even clap, they just rattled their jewellery!

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   
This should answer a few questions, even though the article is a little bit dated:

Here's how Joanna Rosholm, press secretary to the first lady, explains it:

"Mrs. Obama pays for her clothing. For official events of public or historic significance, such as a state visit, the first lady's clothes may be given as a gift by a designer and accepted on behalf of the U.S. government. They are then stored by the National Archives."

That saves Mrs. Obama considerable money, although the White House refused to say how often the first lady wears donated clothes and the National Archives declined to say how many such items it has in storage. The White House did say that the first lady doesn't borrow any clothing and, for the most part, buys her own clothes.

The clothing donated by designers includes Mrs. Obama's two inaugural gowns made by Jason Wu, a lesser-known designer before Mrs. Obama turned him into a star in the fashion firmament.

Who Pays The Bill For Michelle Obama's Fabulous Clothes?

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

It is unarguable that the money she spent on the dress was from her husbands checking account that we fund as American taxpayers.

WE PAID 2K for her dress. period.

understand, I am not flaming you OSOTC, but just sayin

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

Your tax dollars pay for police officers' uniforms, not the dresses that they buy for their wives with their personal, taxpayer funded paychecks.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Wow.

Never I thought I'd see the day where people are suggesting they should have a say in how POTUS spends his own salary.

That money doesn't belong to you or the 'tax payers'. He's paid that money to be President, don't like it, take it up with your congressman.

My god, the pettiness is amazing.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Yup at the cost of 0.00000674$ US per person in the the USA. Assuming everyone contributed equally.

Oh look a penny on the ground win! Payed my part several thousand times over.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   
So argue about the salary level for US presidents then.
Whatever money a husband and wife share from household income is nobody's business but their own, even if their job is funded by the taxpayers.

edit on 13.1.2016 by grainofsand because: clarity

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: ReadLeader

No, WE didn't - she did. The president has a job. He gets paid for that job. Just like you do. Once the money gets put into his bank account, it's his to do whatever he pleases with it. What he or his wife does with his paycheck is no one's business.

Does your employer have the right to tell you how you can or can't spend the paycheck he gives you?

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: ReadLeader
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

It is unarguable that the money she spent on the dress was from her husbands checking account that we fund as American taxpayers.

understand, I am not flaming you OSOTC, but just sayin

Emmmm not you didnt
edit on 13-1-2016 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Yes, (I am my own employer)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

Wow.

Never I thought I'd see the day where people are suggesting they should have a say in how POTUS spends his own salary.

That money doesn't belong to you or the 'tax payers'. He's paid that money to be President, don't like it, take it up with your congressman.

My god, the pettiness is amazing.

~Tenth

I almost completely agree with you, just a little surprised you are surprised in the level some around here will stoop to to find anything to badmouth Obama with.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: bucsarg
What's up with this? Do you think our First Lady should be wearing burlap?

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
Sad day on ATS when the political trolling has gotten to the point that we are discussing the price of a dress.

Still any excuse to have a pop at Obama [/ququot

It's not the dress. It's the message it sends. Focus on the message not the dress.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Atsbhct
If I was a designer, I would be sending Mrs. Obama dresses at every chance. It's a huge advertising opportunity. I highly doubt she paid for it.

They would not be able to legally accept the dress as a gift.

They certainly could, because couture dresses are usually sent back to the design house.

link   
She might not have had to pay for it, many designers will send public figures free clothing, it's advertisement for them.

Or she may have gotten it on sale.

The dress, which was originally priced at $2,095, was marked down to $628 on Black Friday. It was part of the designer's fall 2015 collection, which was shown on the New York runway in February

Michelle Obama's $2,095 dress sold out

If she did pay for it, it's her money to spend. If she wants to spend 2K or 600 on a dress, she can.
edit on 13-1-2016 by Jennyfrenzy because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: donktheclown
What's up with this? Do you think our First Lady should be wearing burlap?
[/ququot

Your not getting the message.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   

The message is that SOME people, will go to any lengths to criticize those two for no apparent reason.

~Tenth
edit on 1/13/2016 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join