It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Church of England attendance drops below 750,000 per week

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Link

The Arch bishop of Canterbury has made a statement claiming that,

British culture is 'becoming anti-Christian' as new figures show the numbers of Church of England worshippers has dropped by a quarter in less than 15 years.

According to the research weekly attendance has been falling by around 1% per year since WW2 and Church weddings dropped below 50,000 accounting for less than 1 in 5 of all marriages conducted.

The Arch bishop claimed that,

The culture [is] becoming anti-Christian, whether it is on matters of sexual morality, or the care for people at the beginning or the end of life. It is easy to paint a very gloomy picture

I wonder how low figures will have to drop before we no longer have to call ourselves a Christian nation?

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

would be good to see if another religion is rising, whether people have just lost trust or faith, or found a new group to join to give false hope too.

i think churches have it coming to be honest, why do people need to go compare clothes in a tall building to be close to God?
Reaching to god can be done anywhere. Do at it home with your genuine loved ones, if this is your thing.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I find this agenda which is being pushed in my Country slightly disturbing. Just because numbers have dropped going to church doesnt mean a lot of British people dont see themselves as Christian. The whole fabric of our society is built on Christian values. Our laws are built on those values not to murder, rape, thieve, judge, or hurt other people, marriage, baptism, acceptance of others, equality in the eyes of God.

Myself and my family all live by those christian values and pray, we just choose to do it in private as Jesus taught, it doesnt mean you have to be in a building to speak to God.

There are many who go to church, synagogue, mosque etc who then feel they have done their bit and go on to murder, judge and EVEN rape. That doesnt make them religious just hypocrites.

We had our Lords Prayer banned in Cinemas Xmas and now peopleare trying to stop our National Anthem. There are some who are trying to drive this age da that we are no longer Christian. To get a true idea who is Christian look at baptism records and ask normal British people and the answer would be we are still predominantly Christian whether some like that or not!

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: anxiouswens

You have enough threads pushing your agenda already.

Please feel free to edit your post to reflect the question in the OP and remove the blatent attempt to make this about something it is not.

Thank you.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Just because you dont like the fact I have commented we are pre dominantly still a Christian Country and numbers in church arent necessarily reflective of this you therefore dont think I have dealt with your thread. I believe I have sorry if you dont like the truth. You are trying to say in this thread we are decreasing in christian numbers as a country because we dont go to church, I believe you are wrong to make this assumption.a reply to: nonspecific

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: anxiouswens
Just because you dont like the fact I have commented we are pre dominantly still a Christian Country and numbers in church arent necessarily reflective of this you therefore dont think I have dealt with your thread. I believe I have sorry if you dont like the truth. You are trying to say in this thread we are decreasing in christian numbers as a country because we dont go to church, I believe you are wrong to make this assumption.a reply to: nonspecific

I think you know perfectly well what part of your post I was referencing.

I have no issue with your statements as to weather we are still a Christian nation but you used the thread to sneak in some more off topic issues that have nothing whatsoever to do with the question in hand.

I just thought I would give the chance to edit your post and remove the superfluous content.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Thats exactly what I am saying numbers have dwindled because oeople realise to be close to God you dont have to dress up once a week and go to a stone building there are many who choose to speak to God in private.

Hence why I say the amount of people who still believe in having their child christened in a christian church is far more reflective of who actually still sees themsekves as Christian.a reply to: lSkrewloosel

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I was merely expanding the debate. There are many who get dressed up once a week and think that somehow means they are closer to God and have the moral high ground. They then gi on to do unspeakable things in normal life which are far from christian. Look at the priests and vicars who are paedophiles! Maybe these sort of acts are what put people off organised religion.a reply to: nonspecific

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Thats exactly what I am saying numbers have dwindled because oeople realise to be close to God you dont have to dress up once a week and go to a stone building there are many who choose to speak to God in private.

Hence why I say the amount of people who still believe in having their child christened in a christian church is far more reflective of who actually still sees themsekves as Christian.a reply to: lSkrewloosel

According to research it is not just attendance but those identifying themselves as Christian that is also in decline although I agree that attending church is not necessary to be a Christian.

Link

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   

You are not expanding the debate at all,

There is no relevance to rape or murder in this thread it is about declining attendance figures in UK churches.

Please do not try to suggest that you are expanding the debate, you are simply trying to use this thread to further your own agenda.

You have enough threads doing that already and suggesting you are doing otherwise is an insult to intelligence.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 07:40 AM
link   
But maybe its not just christian religion that is declining but all religions. According to 2011 census the main religion in UK was christian but more and more are saying they have no religion. Maybe science as it evolves makes people question religion. .ta reply to: [post=20251519]nonspecific[/posten.m.wikipedia.org...

edit on 13-1-2016 by anxiouswens because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   

I agree with the Bishop.

Remember at Primary School almost everyone believed in God? IN fact I felt sorry for those who didn't. Nowadays no kids believe in God - it's an inherited belief.

As the nation questions more and more belief will continue to drop.

As for the church... They need to adapt. Like when people stop visiting the local cafe so they start serving curry and everyone comes flooding back. The church needs to stop monotone droning sermons and reading scripture - It needs to focus on love and positivity, BMXs, sweets - whatever will bring the new waves in.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   

its ashame that Christians who do decide not to go church and still be a good Christianity and prey at home. They will be demonised by the church as atheists or none believers.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I have no agenda other than to comment on truths. Fact is there are many who call themselves religious and then carry out evil crimes FROM ALL RELIGIONSa reply to: nonspecific

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 07:46 AM
link   

and now people are trying to stop our National Anthem

This relates to sporting events. England does not have its own national anthem, unlike other nations in the UK. Using a 10-minute rule motion in parliament, the Labour MP Toby Perkins will propose that a public consultation be launched to decide which song would be best.

link   

But maybe its not just christian religion that is declining but all religions. According to 2011 census the main religion in UK was christian but more and more are saying they have no religion. Maybe science as it evolves makes people question religion. .ta reply to: [post=20251519]nonspecific[/posten.m.wikipedia.org...

It maybe, the second link I provided says,

It suggests that in the UK, if current trends continue, the proportion of the population identifying themselves as Christians will fall from 64% in 2010 to 45% by 2050, while the proportion of Muslims will rise from 5% to 11%.

The proportion of the population claiming no religion in the UK - the "unaffiliated" - will also rise significantly, from 28% to 39%.

There may be a link between religion and quality of life and education.

link   
a reply to: and14263

Remember at Primary School almost everyone believed in God? IN fact I felt sorry for those who didn't. Nowadays no kids believe in God - it's an inherited belief.
as old as the

if you are as old as your avatar photo then times have changed so quickly. only joking

mainly internet and technology is to blame. Without this we just beilved our family, friends and teachers. Now everyone is a internet researcher they can beilve in anything that fits them as an individual.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: deliberator

The opening theme from Monty Python's Flying Circus.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   

It would be interesting to see the UK Catholic statistics. They overtook Anglicans in 2007 to become the most dominant religious group in the UK.

edit on 13-1-2016 by deliberator because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   

I have no agenda other than to comment on truths. Fact is there are many who call themselves religious and then carry out evil crimes FROM ALL RELIGIONSa reply to: nonspecific

But this thread was not about all religions?

So are you saying that one of the reasons for the decline in church attendance is Christians committing acts of evil?

I was under the belief that most of the instances of paedophilia were in the catholic church not the Church of England?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join