It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Church of England attendance drops below 750,000 per week

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I have just seen an article on this in Daily Express where they say poverty and hardships has made some believe there is no GOD. The problem I have with the article is it says it shows an anti christian feeling in the Country because numbers are dwindling and I dont believe the two go hand in hand. I think people are becoming more wary of Churches etc who take the moral high ground and then carry out rapes etc of children. I think this has a lot to do with the decline, not anti christian but anti religious establishments.a reply to: nonspecific

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I don't think there is any doubt that the West is becoming less interested in religion.
Clearly the East is still very religious and becomming more so
I think it's a reflection of the fact people don't need God when they have everything they want

They say there are no atheists in foxholes, obviously that's not true. What is true though when things go bad and people are struggling, when people have nowhere to turn, many turn to God.

The poverty in the East is fertile ground for grow

Oppression feeds growth, just like in the times of Israel

There is nothing new under the sun

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

I wonder how low figures will have to drop before we no longer have to call ourselves a Christian nation?

the UK will be a ` christian nation ` untill constitutional reform is enacted
edit on 13-1-2016 by ignorant_ape because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I think the church is just scared of losing money and the the arch bishop and his fellows are worried they will lose their luxurious lifestyles.

A lot of Europe is becoming or has become non religious. People just don't need it anymore. Most people can and do live good lives without needing the fear of going to hell being pressed into them.

Religious institutions are stinking with corruption and evil themselves anyway.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
I don't think there is any doubt that the West is becoming less interested in religion.
I think it's a reflection of the fact people don't need God when they have everything they want

They say there are no atheists in foxholes, obviously that's not true. What is true though when things go bad and people are struggling, when people have nowhere to turn, many turn to God.

From what I understand Christianity is on the rise globally but in decline in the west.

From my own perspective I only know two people who attend Church on a regular basis, my next door neighbour who is a first generation immigrant from Goa and a friends partner who is a first generation Serbian.

I do not know a single white English born person who attends a church on a regular basis.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: anxiouswens

Hogwash, me and my siblings were all baptised, yet none of us is religious.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Learningman

Hogwash, me and my siblings were all baptised, yet none of us is religious.

I know a lot of people that have their children Christend even though they have not stepped into a Church since there own wedding.

It is a social event for many these days and little to do with religion.

My ex was god mother to a family friends daughter even though the priest knew perfectly well that she was a wiccan.

Figure that one out if you can.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

From what I understand Christianity is on the rise globally but in decline in the west.

From my own perspective I only know two people who attend Church on a regular basis, my next door neighbour who is a first generation immigrant from Goa and a friends partner who is a first generation Serbian.

I do not know a single white English born person who attends a church on a regular basis.

This maybe true. It is a fact the Christian church is still sending people out to poor countries and to people living in hell so to speak to convert the vulnerable.

Disgusting behaviour if I'm honest and goes to show the exploitative nature of religious establishments.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I have many friends who go to church regularly,a reply to: nonspecific

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Churches where I live are full so perhaps it also depends on the area of a church. If a church is in a mainly muslim, hindu, Jewish area then it stands to sense numbers will be lower.

It also depends on whether the church has moved with tge times. Mylocal church does lots of things in community and engages with young people. It has mums and tots, a music studio for young people to record, learn to play instruments, holiday clubs with days out to theme parks etc. Bit more exciting than having sermon after sermon.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Also, the Arch Bishops statement is rather disengenuous, and seems to me to be very much a plea to emotional response. People lacking faith in a Christian God, and a decline in Christianity and church attendance, is IN NO WAY anti-Christian.

A lack of belief in a god does not equal anti(whatever god).

It smacks of the religious fundies who claim every atheist, agnostic, Jew, Muslim, Christian of another sect than their own, Etc. is Anti-Christianity, or, often claimed, Satanic.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: anxiouswens
Churches where I live are full so perhaps it also depends on the area of a church. If a church is in a mainly muslim, hindu, Jewish area then it stands to sense numbers will be lower.

It also depends on whether the church has moved with tge times. Mylocal church does lots of things in community and engages with young people. It has mums and tots, a music studio for young people to record, learn to play instruments, holiday clubs with days out to theme parks etc. Bit more exciting than having sermon after sermon.

Churches in the area I live are still pretty busy but as I said earlier they are mostly full of Goa'n and eastern European immigrants.

The number of non immigrant church goer's is very minimal even though we have a good percentage of non immigrants in the area.

I imagine it depends on the area in which you live.

As to you having many friends that visit church regularly then that would seem correct if you are yourself a practising Christian in much the same way that I know very few church goer's as an atheist.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 09:15 AM
link   

There are a few Mosques around here, maybe a half dozen in a 20 mile radius, and there are three churches in my small village alone. Yet there are 6 elderly people who go to church (the other two are now disused, one now being a very posh house, just over the road from me, that I am highly envious of) and perform maintenance duties.

I help them in the summer clear the ivy and weeds from the cemetary, and they are lovely, but they understand well why I do not go to church. They go for company, and because its what they always did. I'd be very upset if they had to stop, but I know when they pass away, that church too will close its doors except for the holidays of the C of E primary school, where I attended as a kid.

I agree, Christian church attendance will vary wildly from place to place, but I personally don't think the prevalence of other religions is a key factor in the demise of church attendance.
edit on 13/1/2016 by Learningman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   

I don't think we are becoming less Christian in fact I think British people are carrying out Christian values more than probably ever before. Just look at the generosity in how much is given to charity and the help Brits give abroad when tragedy occurs.

Religion is going under the microscope and its contribution to the world today is highly questionable because its become more focused on politics than spirituality.

Perhaps its time for the type of service to change and also today more and more people work on Sundays. Many also work much longer hours so perhaps they only have a short amount of time at home with their families and to attend to their domestic stuff.

I do believe Christian spirit is strong in this unique island

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Yeah I agree religion feeds off the desperate, but if folk aren't in that position and so are able to consider things rationally they generally have no need for gods, ghouls and ghosts to save them...
edit on 13-1-2016 by Prezbo369 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shiloh7

I don't think we are becoming less Christian in fact I think British people are carrying out Christian values more than probably ever before. Just look at the generosity in how much is given to charity and the help Brits give abroad when tragedy occurs.

Religion is going under the microscope and its contribution to the world today is highly questionable because its become more focused on politics than spirituality.

Perhaps its time for the type of service to change and also today more and more people work on Sundays. Many also work much longer hours so perhaps they only have a short amount of time at home with their families and to attend to their domestic stuff.

I do believe Christian spirit is strong in this unique island

I think you are correct with this.

the decline of organised Christianity and people classifying themselves as Christian does not necessarily mean that there is a decline in Christian values.

Maybe we are just evolving beyond the need for structure and obedience through religion and are able to be morally correct of our own accord.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   
People not attending church does not equal anti-Christian, it just means people are starting to realize you don't need to go through a middle man to know God.

I think he's just mad that he can't take advantage of as many people as before.
edit on 1/13/2016 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Prezbo369

Yeah I agree religion feeds off the desperate, but if folk aren't in that position and so are able to consider things rationally they generally have no need for gods, ghouls and ghosts to save them...

I think you have it the wrong way around, the desperate feed of God.

If you look at the rise of Christian charismatic churches you will see many so called Christians seeking an abundance of more.
The Anglicans may be losing numbers but I would think the charasmatic church is growing

Your comments sound like bitter rantings than a well thought out response

Rational thought doesn't sound like your strong point

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   

'christian values' is very vague though, unless you mean specific biblical princibles such as scapegoating?

Christians have just attempted to hijack the best if our basic human princibles that existed long before the bible did.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Prezbo369

'christian values' is very vague though, unless you mean specific biblical princibles such as scapegoating?

Christians have just attempted to hijack the best if our basic human princibles that existed long before the bible did.

I was thinking of the pretty obvious ones that come with the church of England like be nice to people and such like.

I am a lifelong atheist and never needed a "god" to tell me what was morally right.

I was speculating that more and more people are doing the same.
edit on 13/1/2016 by nonspecific because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join