It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rumors Are Flying That We Finally Found Gravitational Waves

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

However I have one main question. What practical applications can be made out of this discovery?

The question shouldn't be what practical applications can be made, but if or when practical applications can be made.

If this news is indeed proven that is just the start. Look at electromagnetism and quantum mechanics-it took decades before we could utilize those forces to a slither of their full potential. If the peer reviews are positive then Astrophysicists will have a lot to think about as they might have to include 'Grav waves' into further equations or readjust previous measurements.

At times like this I wish I took physics instead of biology in high school.

edit on 12-1-2016 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

However I have one main question. What practical applications can be made out of this discovery?

The question shouldn't be what practical applications can be made, but if or when practical applications can be made.

If this news is indeed proven that is just the start. Look at electromagnetism and quantum mechanics-it took decades before we could utilize those forces to a slither of their full potential. If the peer reviews are positive then Astrophysicists will have a lot to think about as they might have to include 'Grav waves' into further equations or readjust previous measurements.

At times like this I wish I took physics instead of biology in high school.

Yes, for somethings it takes a decade to get into practical usage and for others they advance very quickly, this being the first discovery of it's time could probably find itself becoming a very big part of our lives, complete change in the way most things operate. This would be something nations militaries capitalize on(LONG LIVE BOB LAZAR) as anything else would be behind. It'd speed up how fast this becomes our reality

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I missed this one.

Looks like they are 60% sure about the waves.

Scientists struggle to stay grounded after possible gravitational wave signal

My earlier rumor about LIGO has been confirmed by independent sources. Stay tuned! Gravitational waves may have been discovered!! Exciting.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Sorry silly me , I thought my sarcasm would have prevailed with the high silly factor of the post.

Unfortunately in todays world, that was a fair assumption to make on your part.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Boscov

That IS a good read. I enjoyed it very much. Thanks for posting it. Now to find that guys 6th Paper in PDF to read in depth. THAT one looks pretty interesting. Shoot me a link in IM if you have one for his 6th paper.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Hey phage, long time lurker here, just signed up to ask you a question. Normally when I read posts I don't pay attention to member names, but I've seen yours around for a while, and I would like to know how you know so much about these different topics, did u major in physics or mathematics?!? Weird that this is my first post, but I'm genuinely interested and curious....thanks for your time and contributions.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Bizookajoe

I think he's an engineer and knows a lot of subjects that are related to that arena, but may also be really good and fast at Google Fu?

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

What practical applications can be made out of this discover?

Other than, once again, showing that Einstein was right?
Gnarly barrels dude!

In answer to that question, if this is true as i think it sure is possible, we start building Jetson cars that fly in the lower atmosphere with the new driver-less tech to prevent crashes. Also build propulsion tech for escaping the Earth with large payloads so we can properly provide supplies to several new Colony's throughout the Solar systems and hopefully beyond.

We are a long way from that dream officially, but i have heard rumors as well. Not of finding the waves only, but of highly sophisticated working devices that create the gravity waves. Time will tell. Nothing solid to share here since a rumor can't prove to much without solid evidence, as we all know. Top Secret devices I have witnessed as a youth in the military that were held back for years for obvious reasons give me reason to ponder this situation is the tip of a wonderful Iceberg. Exciting to ponder the possibilities.
edit on 13-1-2016 by Justoneman because: added thoughts

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: mazzroth

Tesla Didn't Invent Alternating Current in fact he really didn't invent anything new. Je just redesigned existing things. He had a tallent for taking stuff apary and making it work better than before. He easbt a scientists and didn't even understand fully the things he was making. He didn't need to he was an engineer. All he needed to know is it worked why was for someone else to figure out.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 01:53 AM
link   

So sorry about that. Counter it with our boy Jac and you'll be back in the zone in no time

Cowabunga!

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Yes, I did forget. ‘The greatest mistake I ever made in my life.’ But the theory was sound regardless of the constant.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: NeoSpartan

You keep taling about the properties of gravitational waves when they haven't even been proven to exist yet.

You are correct. These are the properties that they are expected to have, if found. They are also the properties scientists are looking for, or rather the properties their instruments are designed to accommodate.

Can anyone explain how these waves keep me from foating of into space?

A thoughtful question. Have you heard of Maxwell’s field equations, also sometimes called Maxwell’s wave equations? Without getting into the physics, the fact that both names are used should help explain. Waves are disturbances in ‘fields’. Maxwell’s equations were originally formulated to describe the movement of charges in an electric field, but you can apply it to gravitons in gravitational fields too, more or less. Massive particles in a gravitational field behave like charged particles in an electric field. These particles are equivalent to waves. We all emit (or are, in a sense) gravitational waves.

Not the most lucid of explanations, but there are others here who will correct and elaborate, I hope.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Alright, since it's a "conspiracy" forum... I'll ask. Did anyone else instantly think of bob lazar when they read this?

First he named the fuel (ununpentium element 115) back in 89, 20 years before science proved it. Now they proved his gravity waves as well. He spoke about gravity a and gravity b waves when describing how the ufo's travel. I know it still doesn't mean aliens have been here. The gov could have lied to him and it could all be secret gov tech. But still. He keeps getting proven correct. I still find it pretty head scratching, though.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

can't accelerate to faster than light, there's no problem with mass moving faster than light, it just can't accelerate to FTL...

Jaden

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   
The oroboros of self recusion of atoms as a self terminate infinate spiral wormhole inside itself upon itself, generates gravity waves. If trained properly, we can all generate them too.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Masterjaden
a reply to: Krakatoa

can't accelerate to faster than light, there's no problem with mass moving faster than light, it just can't accelerate to FTL...

Jaden

Nothing moves faster than light. So no matter can't move faster than light under any circumstance. In fact in physics if you manage to get something moving faster than light you have a problem. It can create a time paradox. You could litterally have something moving before it was created.The restriction on the speed of light isn't just because there is fundamental reasons for it. Now there is some ways to cheat you can bend space and you can arive before light can make the journey all the while going below the speed of light.

A bike can beat a car to a destination as long as a bike can take a shorter path.
edit on 1/13/16 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

I was under the impression that going faster than light can theoretically travel into the future but not the past. It's been a while since I read about that, but if you could clarify that would be great.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Remember kids,

Black Projects did it first

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 11:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: mazzroth

originally posted by: Phage

What practical applications can be made out of this discover?

Other than, once again, showing that Einstein was right?
Gnarly barrels dude!

Einstein can't hold a candle for Tesla ! as for Gravitational Waves they are faster than light which kills relativity theory.

It's not a competition. It's a new guest to the party.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 06:21 AM
link   
A status report has been scheduled for today in Washington where the teams involved will announce their findings.

Teams from the US detectors will speak in Washington DC at 15:30 GMT Thursday.
Speculation is rife that they will announce the detection of gravitational waves by both the US instruments, which together make up the Laser Interferometer Gravitational Wave Observatory
www.bbc.co.uk...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join