It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Political Correctness is Going to Destroy US

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

i agree!

i once heard someone i know say they'd wish all lgbt people would be put on island by themselves. i walked away and didn't say anything. that still shames me. anti-pc crowd if i had spoken up - would that have been too much?

i gotta say, and maybe i don't get out enough, but i have not witnessed this pc thing taken to the extreme. I've not seen anyone shut down for what they say... i think a lot of this stuff happens on social media and i don't participate in that.

i certainly don't think it's going to take down our country, lol.

hopefully, it'll will work itself out like you said, and we can learn to come together and discuss things rationally.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Here are some more good reasons why political correctness is so corrosive. It undermines the very foundations of liberty and teaches you not to be a free person in a free society. It also trains you to accept the decisions of arbitrary authority rather than teaching you how to trust yourself and makes you believe there is some mythical right not to ever be offended which is also antithetical to liberty and free speech.

When I was brought up a long time ago, I suppose you could call it a genteel

upbringing, no one swore not even the men, and even now three generations

later still don't use bad language.

There were 'words' I grew up knowing, acceptable words eg.. coloured,

crippled, blind, gay, and Mohammedans.

Then the business of *life* took over marriage-children divorce career and

so on.

When I got to the stage of being able to sit back and relax I discovered

(in conversations) that coloured was no longer acceptable ... it was

now black! crippled was now disabled! blind was now visually

impaired!

It may be laughable now but there was NO sex education!! can you believe

that?

I was unaware of homosexuality till my mid to late 20's and then only because

of reported court cases and Quinton Crisp, who if I remember correctly called

himself 'queer.' So when homosexuals hi-jacked the word gay for themselves,

imagine my bewilderment at the sudden explosion of all these happy males!!

for that is the dictionary definition of gay the last time I looked.

About 20 years ago I was in a conversation when I had occasion to mention

Mohammedans and I was looked at with blank expressions, later on checking

out my faux pas I discovered somewhere along the line Mohammedans had

morphed into Muslims .....

What!! ....When did that happen?

Not for me growing up were Sci-fi films .... NO! I had Cowboys and Red Indians

OOP's!! did I just say that? how very un PC of me - correction Cowboys and

Native American Indians.

Yes I fear I must be a racist bigot!!!
edit on 10-1-2016 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-1-2016 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   
The non sequitur "you're against PC therefor you must be for hate" is absurd.

When Noam Chomsky or Christopher Hitchens defended the right of holocaust deniers to deny the holocaust in speech and print, they didn't do so because they too deny the holocaust, but for the reasons given in the principles as laid out by John Stuart Mill. We need to continuously justify our reasons for opposing certain ideas, and if we actively suppress, hide, or even ignore their arguments, we lose that justification. We forget why it was wrong in the first place. We forget why it is untrue.

Of course, Chomsky and Hitchens were called holocaust deniers by unscrupulous PC opponents—guilty by association is another technique PC crowd uses— no matter how ridiculous that charge is.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   
People calling the "PC crowd" bigoted, people massively generalizing. Oh the irony. -sigh-

I will repeatedly state: the issue is that no one actually knows what "PC" is. There isn't a universal definition we share.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis

Or" Sweden has a problem with Arabic immigrants sexually assaulting women".

How about some immigrants - instead?

Works for me.

Don't back down to thought police. That's essentially what PC is.
edit on 10-1-2016 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra
BLAME the nice people again and side with people who want to let their racism all hang out.

There in lies the problem. You actually believe you're one of the "nice" people, yet you're just as bigoted as anyone else.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

oh my! i don't know how you handled all those changes, poor thing!

gays "hijacked the word gay" the horror.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   
This is your brain on PC.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   

You beat me to it.

I was also thinking "poor black youths killing other black youths" would be more accurate, because you don't really have the same problem with middle and upper class black youths, right?

Part of "PC" to me is also being accurate, and not painting a broad brush. I would also say that some men are mysogonistic, some women are gold diggers, and some Christians are bigoted. Is that kind of PC so bad?

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Political Correctness is Going to Destroy US

I'm starting to think that hyperbolic drama queens jumping up and down on their soapboxes screaming and whining about 1st world "problems" are what's going to destroy it...

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

Works for me.

Actually I thought her idea was a more accurate description of the situation.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

You beat me to it.

I was also thinking "poor black youths killing other black youths" would be more accurate, because you don't really have the same problem with middle and upper class black youths, right?

Part of "PC" to me is also being accurate, and not painting a broad brush. I would also say that some men are mysogonistic, some women are gold diggers, and some Christians are bigoted. Is that kind of PC so bad?

OR You could permit a person to say what they think without cherry picking every little turn of phrase you don't happen to like.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   

I like the idea of people being taught to be more careful and precise with their words.

Maybe I'm alone in preferring a future where we are more refined in our method of speech, rather than less so?

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

Works for me.

Actually I thought her idea was a more accurate description of the situation.

I doubt that. You never said "all Arab immigrants". If you would have said or implied that, which anyone can see by reading that you didn't, there might be a point to call you on it. But the implication and thought that you actually meant "all Arab immigrants" is their generality, their error, not yours.

Unless you meant all Arab immigrants after all?

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75
There in lies the problem. You actually believe you're one of the "nice" people, yet you're just as bigoted as anyone else.

It seems bigotry is used a lot here and I would like to address that. To be a bigot you must have intolerance and that means you have an "unwillingness to accept views, beliefs, or behaviors that differ from one's own." When Political Correctness overrides views, beliefs, or behaviors where is the intolerance really at? Is it with those being attacked with The PC club or the ones holding the PC club?

If I suggest I do not want a flood of Middle Eastern refugees to come here I'm called a bigot, but I love much of the Middle Eastern culture, and I care little for their religion in they can do as they like. I respect their personal differences/needs and even enjoy Ramadan with them, so I do not see much intolerance there. Now if I say I do not want them here I'm instantly slammed by the PC club and labeled even when my reasons are more inline with the cost we will need to pay and that we have 100 million out of work already that we should take care of first, plain and simple.

edit on 10-1-2016 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Kayla, let me show you something. If I so choose, I can do this to your post content:

So you believe that because a child is born into poverty he is amoral and prone to violence? Are you saying that because some parents are unable to accomplish a wage above the poverty line due to unfavorable circumstances or else need public assistance they are unable to properly raise a child and instill values and morals in that child?

Just because a parent has a good paying job -- that somehow makes them a more loving, smarter parent, who is more capable of teaching right and wrong to the their children? It sounds like you are saying middle class and wealthy people are superior to poor people, is that what you're saying? Because if it is, you need to post some links to support your position on this and PROVE that middle class blacks are superior morally to poor blacks.

I find your comments prejudicial towards impoverished persons".

I didn't mean any of that. I just wanted you to know I can do this too. Kinda creepy to find yourself in a defensive situation when you weren't implying anything of what I said, right? But that is PC gone too far. Like we are seeing nowdays.

edit on 1/10/2016 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Unless you meant all Arab immigrants after all?

No I didn't. I would have thought anybody would have known that. So. You've got a point. It comes to looking for something to complain about, as I did in the post above.

edit on 1/10/2016 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: knoxie

oh my! i don't know how you handled all those changes, poor thing!

gays "hijacked the word gay" the horror.

LOL!! Typical ....

I comment on the evolvement of PC in five separate areas over

the years ....

and there's always one gets picked out to bring out the

PC police .....

Wouldn't have expected anything else!!

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Correct. They are serruptitiously implying some over-generalizations on your part, when it is obviously theirs. They are grappling with their own tendencies towards generalizing, and expect you to do the work for them by speaking in a manner they approve of. But by telling you what to say and how to say it, by extension, they are telling you what and how to think, which is to say, like them.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

It's omitting that word some - right? What we say means something. How we say it - and why we say it

When people say Muslims did this, or black people do that, what we hear is - this is how all those people are

We're not allowed to point that out however. Policing language and apparently thinking seems to be the right of some - but not others

:-)

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join