It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

11 states least likely to legalize Marijuana

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Below I have listed the 11 least likely states to legalize Marijuana followed by a link to the full article.

1. Alabama

2. Arkansas

3.Georgia

4. Idaho

5. Indiana

6. Kansas

7. Oklahoma

8. South Dakota

9. Tennessee

10. Utah

11. Wyoming

Link to article

I'd like to point out that they all seem to be rural or southern states with large contingents of the "God wills it types". I've also noticed that quite a few of them are also lower in rankings of education standards. I will refrain from saying anything other than it paints a picture now doesn't it. Here is the link to those rankings Link to article
edit on 4-1-2016 by RainbowPhoenix because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: RainbowPhoenix

That list looks about right. I'd have included Texas on that list too, but they shocked everyone when they attempted to legalize it last year.

+22 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   
This issue all boils down to individual liberties. The state can regulate the substance, like alcohol, but it should be a matter of personal choice as to whether or not to partake.

Conservatives talk quite a bit about personal freedoms and liberty, but in very conservative states it seems that they spend quite a bit of time and effort trying to tell people what they can or cannot do with their own bodies.

It's quite confusing at times.
edit on 4-1-2016 by introvert because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-1-2016 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: RainbowPhoenix
Below I have listed the 11 least likely states to legalize Marijuana followed by a link to the full article.

1. Alabama

2. Arkansas

3.Georgia

4. Idaho

5. Indiana

6. Kansas

7. Oklahoma

8. South Dakota

9. Tenesee

10. Utah

11. Wyoming

Link to article

I'd like to point out that they all seem to be rural or southern states with large contingents of the "God wills it types" I've also noticed that quite a few of them are also lower in rankings of education standards. I will refrain from saying anything other than it paints a picture now doesn't it. Here is the link to those rankings Link to article

I'd like to point out that you should always proofread and double check your entire post if you're going to subliminally bash the education of the South.

Sticking to the topic, the citizens can decide which states do and which states don't legalize. Let them vote and drop the subject.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Not saying the states shouldn't have the right to vote AT ALL, not once never said that. I'm also not bashing the south that is not my study, i did not conduct nor publish it yet it is there for all to see. Nothing for you to be upset at me about just because you don't like the subject matter in question.

t reply to: LSU0408

I added a period so I hope that my post now meets your approval.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

From what I can tell, OP mentioned rural or Southern states, and went on to say that many of them were lower in rankings of educational standards.

I don't think OP was bashing Southern states, especially when you read that entire sentence (the one you bolded in your response).

On topic, I bet some of the legislators in these states would reconsider if they see the economic benefits of legalizing. But that's none of my business

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Problem is even in some states such as Illinois where it is allowed you pretty much have to be on your way out before you get approved for a medical card and that needs to change but I believe that in a few more years just about all states will legalize it not because it will help some of us but because the money they will make.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
This issue all boils down to individual liberties. The state can regulate the substance, like alcohol, but it should be a matter of personal choice as to whether or not to partake.

Conservatives talk quite a bit about personal freedoms and liberty, but in very conservative states it seems that they spend quite a bit of time and effort trying to tell people what they can or cannot do with their own bodies.

That's BS and you know this. Weed legalization is the only subject that can put the left and right together in agreement on yes or no. Has nothing to do with Conservative states.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: RainbowPhoenix

Well let's not get off topic. I only pointed it out because lower education was mentioned while a state was misspelled. I'm not upset, and the topic doesn't bother me.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408
Weed legalization is the only subject that can put the left and right together in agreement on yes or no. Has nothing to do with Conservative states.

Which is one of the few times that you can see that both parties are the opposite side of the same coin. Neither one really gives two s***s about the citizenry.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

From what I can tell, OP mentioned rural or Southern states, and went on to say that many of them were lower in rankings of educational standards.

I don't think OP was bashing Southern states, especially when you read that entire sentence (the one you bolded in your response).

On topic, I bet some of the legislators in these states would reconsider if they see the economic benefits of legalizing. But that's none of my business

Right. Rural or Southern, meaning rednecks and country bumpkins. I know exactly what point was being made. I just thought it was funny that education was brought up and Tennessee was......................Oh forget it.

Like I said, citizens should vote yes or no so we can put this subject behind us and move on to important things.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Very true. They've come together on both sides of this. I've decided that I don't care either way. I'm just ready to put it behind us so we can move on. If it's going to hurt us, time will tell. If it's not, time will tell. Let's vote and move on. That's my take.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I don't know where the state of Virginia falls in their list. Apparently it must not be in the 11 least likely, but it still has to be close to that grouping. Fortunately Northern VA is more culturally advanced than the rest of the state, so perhaps it will happen in my lifetime.

As I recall, VA will suspend any state issued license that you possess, even for the smallest infraction of any drug law. I don't think that the OP's study took those kind of draconian punishments into consideration.

A couple of years ago I was up late one night transplanting some Willow tree limbs that I wanted to see if I could use to grow Willow trees. The thin blades of the Willow tree leaves could possibly be mistaken for the individual parts of the leaf of a cannabis plant. I did this late at night, as that is the time that I tend to be awake.

The next morning a helicopter spent quite a bit of time hovering over my house at a relatively low altitude before it finally broke off and moved to a location a few blocks away. My next door neighbor even asked me if there was "a reason for their interest."

A state that is willing to waste those kind of resources trying to locate what they believe to be a small grow of the "demon weed" is not likely to legalize anytime soon.

-dex

link   

That's BS and you know this. Weed legalization is the only subject that can put the left and right together in agreement on yes or no. Has nothing to do with Conservative states.

We can agree to disagree.

link   

I get where you are coming from.

Rednecks, trailer parks are fair game, but other ethnic classes and ghetto's are NOT politically correct......

Whatever..............weed crosses all boundaries as you so tried to imply.

link   
The article and video seem more like a universal campaign advertisement.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: DexterRiley

As I recall, VA will suspend any state issued license that you possess, even for the smallest infraction of any drug law. I don't think that the OP's study took those kind of draconian punishments into consideration.

I lived in Richmond for awhile and remember learning that even if they found stems in your car, or some other very small amount of cannabis that it was automatic loss of license among other repercussions. I definitely think VA could be a 12th state on OPs list

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

You got it, brother...

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   

While it's true that marijuana legalization crosses partisan boundaries (and I would be one of the first to admit that too), it should be noted that conservative voters DO lag behind liberal and independent voters in their support of marijuana legalization. And this lag increases in severity the older the demographic you are looking at. So millennial conservatives more closely align with their support of legalizing marijuana as their liberal and independent brethren, but baby boomer conservatives are more likely to want to keep it illegal while liberal and independent baby boomers support legalization.

It should also be noted that the majority of resistance to legalizing marijuana comes from the right and most anti-legalization propaganda is targeted towards the conservative voting base. These are all things that cannot be ignored here.
edit on 4-1-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Ahh, Tennessee that was a typo, my fingers move too fast sometimes as I type while looking at the monitor and just keep typing. I miss things but then again I didn't think I had to worry about grammar Nazis trying to call my thread illegitimate over one misspelled and by accident word.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join