It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

11 states least likely to legalize Marijuana

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

That's fine.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408
Let's vote and move on. That's my take.

I have no issue letting the states make a determination on this issue.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

It would probably turn out a lot different than most think. That's probably the easiest way to have it legalized in more states. At least from my experience in talking to others.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I have no issue there either. I DO have issue with the federal government not legalizing it and letting this cluster# around the legal marijuana market that is going on now continue to happen. It's high time the federal government legalizes the plant and if states STILL don't approve of marijuana, they can make it illegal themselves instead of piggy-backing off of the federal government's stance on it.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I agree with you. You know my Libertarian stance says turn as much of these types of issues over to the states and let them sort it out as each of them feels is best.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Exactly. Marijuana being illegal federally is government intervention plain and simple. There is no arguing around that fact.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Yep. I remember a story from a few years ago about a guy who was growing a couple of small plants on his property. The state used its fleet of helicopters equipped with Marijuana-seeking optical systems to find his small personal grow.

When the small armada of State and local Police forces rolled up on his property, he admitted that the two scrawny plants were his. This led to a small uproar about the amount of money spent, and the disproportionate response to find such a small amount of contraband. Ultimately the case was thrown out of court. But because the defendant admitted to possessing the small plants in question, the judge found him guilty of possession and his license was automatically suspended for 6 months.

The war on drugs at its finest...

-dex

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Unfortunately these are states that could benefit from the tax revenue. It is sad to say my state, Idaho, is dictated by what goes on in Utah, since we have a high Mormon population in the southern part of our state. We will soon be surrounded by states that have legalized marijuana so we are sending the revenue to other states.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   

I live in Texas and am an ardent supporter of legalizing pot in Texas. There are several really good reasons to legalize pot in Texas, not the least of which is that probably something on the order of 25% of the population under 40 and over 60 already use pot on a daily basis. Its senseless to load up an already overburdened criminal justice system.

Having worked with Law enforcement in Texas for years, I can tell you that the experience has shown that the "stoners" are the least likely people to cause problems.

Another reason to legalize pot is for the State to be able to tax pot sales to fund the schools systems. It would mean the state could stop funding the schools via property taxes. And there's a big push to altogether do away with the property taxes. As an added side benefit, its expected that legalizing pot would mean many parents of school age children would be freely smoking at home. A relative of mine in another state reports that she and her husband smoked pot like chain smoking cigarette smokers and both their kids were incredibly docile. She could set them down in front of the TV with the Test Pattern on and the kids would stare at it for hours. Stoned kids are peaceful, content and non-trouble making in school. The reduction in ADHD and bullying type problems would be an enormous savings in the schools systems.

Another good reason to support legalization is demonstrated in this article: www.washingtonpost.com...

It points to the fact that as the middle class continues to be hollowed out, there's been a huge upsurge in hopelessness in the last 10 years or so. Stoned people......just don't care. Since its obvious there's no solution to the economic plight of these people, it only seems fair to let them stone themselves into oblivion. Its kinda like morphine for the terminal cancer patient; they're still in horrible pain, but.....they don't care.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

You don't have to tell me any of this. If I had my way, marijuana wouldn't be illegal anywhere in the world for those reasons as well as many more.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore
Just don't bake them in any non-legalized states or upwind from any feds, 'cause, well you know

Feds gotta eat too son.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   

If we could have gotten Kinky Friedman in the Governor's mansion it would have been done long ago.. People imagine Texas as flat grassy planes, sparse houses near small country towns. Which, we have more than our share, and have the Buckle of the Bible belt in Abilene, with more churches per square mile than any city in the US and maybe the world. Abilene also has a bad Meth problem and one of the highest teenage pregnancy rates in the Nation, second to San Angelo Texas. Then we have Austin where the motto is Keep Austin weird, where in the bar district it is legal for women to walk around topless, on the street! Gotta love Austin, I always say its like a big Denton. Art, music, the 1st Jazz University in the world and Fry Street the once "trippiest" place in Texas, we have some pretty forward thinkers, not everybody is a hick redneck. Mark Stepnoski of Super Bowl winning Dallas Cowboys fame, speaks several languages, has multiple degrees, all of which he achieved while being an admitted daily user, was a vocal member of NORMAL and a great help for the cause.

Sorry for the commercial for Texas but I thought some members would be interested in hearing more of what it is like here. I kind of went off a bit, guess it just gets me worked up wishing the dang laws will change. This is by no means intended to call you out as wrong in anyway. Many are surprised to hear we have more than Cows and hunting.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: wastedown
If we could have gotten Kinky Friedman in the Governor's mansion...

Ah, the Kinkster. If I lived in Texas I would have voted for him, Kinky Friedman is the man.

Plus the guy loves a good cigar.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: wastedown

Well it was still a surprising development nonetheless; though I understand where all the rapid support for it came from a bit better now.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: wastedown

Kinky Friedman is one of my permanent heroes. He is my goto write-in candidate whenever I can't stand either candidate in an election.

-dex

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: RainbowPhoenix
Below I have listed the 11 least likely states to legalize Marijuana followed by a link to the full article.

1. Alabama

2. Arkansas

3.Georgia

4. Idaho

5. Indiana

6. Kansas

7. Oklahoma

8. South Dakota

9. Tennessee

10. Utah

11. Wyoming

Link to article

I'd like to point out that they all seem to be rural or southern states with large contingents of the "God wills it types". I've also noticed that quite a few of them are also lower in rankings of education standards. I will refrain from saying anything other than it paints a picture now doesn't it. Here is the link to those rankings Link to article

It's already legal for medical use in Georgia. Dispensaries and everything.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

originally posted by: RainbowPhoenix
Below I have listed the 11 least likely states to legalize Marijuana followed by a link to the full article.

1. Alabama

2. Arkansas

3.Georgia

4. Idaho

5. Indiana

6. Kansas

7. Oklahoma

8. South Dakota

9. Tennessee

10. Utah

11. Wyoming

Link to article

I'd like to point out that they all seem to be rural or southern states with large contingents of the "God wills it types". I've also noticed that quite a few of them are also lower in rankings of education standards. I will refrain from saying anything other than it paints a picture now doesn't it. Here is the link to those rankings Link to article

It's already legal for medical use in Georgia. Dispensaries and everything.

Like prescription drugs, that's exactly how marijuana should be legally handled IMO.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Georgia's already legalized cannabis oil this year and are progressing on legalizing recreational use so I'd probably take them off the list. Though, non of this really matters, I think it will be decriminalized nation wide within the next few years anyway.
edit on 4-1-2016 by rexsblues because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join