It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Create New Super Strong Metal With Nanotechnology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Scientists Create New Super Strong Metal With Nanotechnology

"It’s been proposed that nanoparticles could really enhance the strength of metals without damaging their plasticity, especially light metals like magnesium, but no groups have been able to disperse ceramic nanoparticles in molten metals until now (…) With an infusion of physics and materials processing, our method paves a new way to enhance the performance of many different kinds of metals by evenly infusing dense nanoparticles to enhance the performance of metals to meet energy and sustainability challenges in today’s society"

A team of UCLA led scientists have conjured a new magnesium based metal with the help of nanoparticles and it just might find application in a variety of industries ranging from aeronautics and space to automotive and biomedical, according to a university news release. As a result of their breakthrough–the findings of which were published on December 23 in the journal Nature–the researchers have created a new method that, according to the study’s principal investigator, Xiaochun Li, “paves a new way to enhance the performance of many different kinds of metals by evenly infusing dense nanoparticles to enhance the performance of metals to meet energy and sustainability challenges in today’s society.”

I thought this was a pretty cool development.

I'm not going to pretend to know what this new development may lead to but sounds interesting. With all the latest Nanotech developments either in the works or just around the corner we'll be living in a new world soon enough.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   
that is a very cool.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Beware nanotechnology, the bogey man has nothing on this particular nightmare.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69
There is this thread on the subject I started on Christmas.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Exciting find but was discussed here

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence

Cool

I searched under this articles name and didnt find anything.

Please contribute to machineintelligence's thread

Mods, please close this thread.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   

I believe Boeing a couple of years back had developed a Nano carbon-fiber skin for fighters, I believe it was being suggested for the F-22, iirc.

Far higher temperature resistance. Much lighter and stronger. As it would call for a complete reskin, likely a bit too costly at this stage.

Perhaps part of the 6th Gen fighter plans?

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Nice. But of course you know that this tech won't really filter down to the common people very quickly. Anything that's made of this miracle metal will be $5,000 an inch.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Imagine if you could shape the surface of a metal at a nanoscale level. Everything you see in electron microscopes with regard to aerodynamics of birds, fish (sharks included) and insects.

Sharkskin teeth:
duckduckgo.com... ticles.jpg

Wings of a butterfly:
2.bp.blogspot.com...

images.duckduckgo.com... 2520times.JPG&f=1

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Now if only I could get a sword made of said metal..now that would be a legendary sword.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

You could make skin for craft that "flexes like bird feathers"

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Did they finally decipher those metals found on the area51 crassite?

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   

top topics

join