It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Young black men nine times more likely to be killed by police

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 07:02 AM
link   
www.theguardian.com...

End of year statistics report by The Guardian.

Despite making up only 2% of the total US population, African American males between the ages of 15 and 34 comprised more than 15% of all deaths logged this year by an ongoing investigation into the use of deadly force by police. Their rate of police-involved deaths was five times higher than for white men of the same age.

The Guardian has done an excellent job of monitoring these statistics this last year. They have very much tried to highlight the reality of statistics.

Non-white Americans make up less than 38% of the US population, but half the number of people killed by police are minorities.

and minorities make up more unarmed people killed by police

Check the figures for yourselves. This is mighty unpleasant reading for me. I hope that 2016 can somehow bring better statistic news. I'll be watching just like the Guardian and most of the world.

America, so near yet so far.

I already anticipate the kind of response here on ATS, so I will not be looking at this thread as I will get too upset. Just letting you know.

edit on 1-1-2016 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

+25 more 
posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 07:19 AM
link   
But are young black men or other minorities statistically more likely to be involved in crimes which would lead to more encounters with police? I am not saying they are it just seems to be a possibility. Correlation = causation ??

a reply to: Revolution9

+12 more 
posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Justacasualobserver

He/she knows that is the fact, hence he/she will not be back to the thread as he/she stated

+7 more 
posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: 200Plus

and here's a thread I made last summer detailing the statistics that back up the previous two posts...

The Elephant in The Room - The Culture of Minority Violence

edit on 1-1-2016 by rexsblues because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   

''I already anticipate the kind of response here on ATS, so I will not be looking at this thread as I will get too upset. Just letting you know.''

Well why bother starting the thread then?
I am sure you will be back to see how many stars you get but.
Now run off to your ''safe space''.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 07:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justacasualobserver
But are young black men or other minorities statistically more likely to be involved in crimes which would lead to more encounters with police? I am not saying they are it just seems to be a possibility. Correlation = causation ??

Which should lead to death? No.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: rexsblues
a reply to: 200Plus

and here's a thread I made last summer detailing the statistics that back up the previous two posts...

The Elephant in The Room - The Culture of Minority Violence

Think about your statistics when you take into account Tamir Rice. Then you know what you can do with those statistics.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   

There are many factors that come in to play with those statistics. It's easy to say they commit more crimes, but why is that statistic high?

Are there economic factors involved, or perhaps education?

If there is systemic racism the statistic may be indicative of minorities being targeted by police more than the average white person.

Honestly, to say it's because they are statistically prone to commit more crime really misses the bigger picture. It's the easy way out for people that are not mentally prepared to deal with the issue of systemic racism, brutality and police targeting.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 08:22 AM
link   
That would depend upon the individuals response to those encounters. Since I do not have the facts surrounding every incidence I do not know what the outcome should have been. One can not assume that every time someone dies at the hands of police that they were unarmed or surrendered peacefully. Sometimes,( definitely not always) the outcome is justified.

to a reply to: reldra

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Don't see too many white gang-bangers. When every big city in our nation has black gangs that rival a police force, it says something.

Edit: This is also why 'death' is a part of the equation. The criminals are in the death business themselves, to die by the same sword that they live by is how it works.
edit on 1-1-2016 by chadderson because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Are people seriously trying to claim that white teenagers in the US never dare to hang out in a playground with a fake gun?

Of course they do! How ignorant could you be to think it doesn't happen constantly? Out of 340 million people, I'm sure its a daily occurrence.

The only difference is, as far as I can see, is that the cops don't rock up and start firing within seconds, if the suspect is white.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 08:56 AM
link   
To be fair, I never said they committed more crimes. However, a quick search of demographics and crimes will show that minorities commit a disproportional percentage of crimes per their population percentage overall. The fact that young black men and/or mixed race make up a larger percentage of the population than say, young white males, the law of averages would dictate that they would be prone to more police encounters and they are not necessarily being targeted.

en.wikipedia.org...

www.fbi.gov...

a reply to: introvert

edit on 1-1-2016 by Justacasualobserver because: link added

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
Are people seriously trying to claim that white teenagers in the US never dare to hang out in a playground with a fake gun?

Of course they do! How ignorant could you be to think it doesn't happen constantly? Out of 340 million people, I'm sure its a daily occurrence.

The only difference is, as far as I can see, is that the cops don't rock up and start firing within seconds, if the suspect is white.

One might ask you if every black child playing on a playground with a toy gun was killed by police.
I have seen news reports where a white child was killed in his own home by police because he had a Wii controller.... Which does not physically resemble a handgun.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Show me any instance where a white 12 year old child playing with a toy gun in a playground has had a few rounds fired into him after seconds of the police arriving... to only then have the police cleared of any wrong doing?

Show me an instance of that happening to a white kid, then your comment might have some substance... Until then, its fair to assume that racism dictates the justice system in the US.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Depressing whether it's because of racism in the police, or, if in fact it is true that young black men are more likely to be involved in crime (or both). We should be asking ourselves why this is happening and working towards changing things.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Every situation has different participants, influences, constraints, etc. There's a multitude of information from each situation being overlooked.

Making a generalization based on numbers like this is ignorant. It's just another loaded Stat geared toward this fake racism crap.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   

What use are the statistics when less than half of all crimes are ever solved?

A third of murders aren't solved. That's the highest-profile and most-solved type of crime. Think about that.

Some property theft clearance rates (solved cases) are below 20%.
edit on 10Fri, 01 Jan 2016 10:49:10 -0600America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago1 by Greven because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

You got starred for that lol. Way to be PC bro. Tamir has nothing to do with all the "minorities" who committed crimes. Those crimes don't uncommit themselves because of Tamir.

This is a rediculus discussion.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: 200Plus
a reply to: Justacasualobserver

He/she knows that is the fact, hence he/she will not be back to the thread as he/she stated

How sure are you on those 'facts' hmm? See my post above.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Proof or I call BS it's just the way it is you know!

a reply to: Subaeruginosa

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join