It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Young black men nine times more likely to be killed by police

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Sure street crimes are always statistically more prone to be done by poorer segments of the population…that is in America black and brown people. Consequently street cops will have more confrontations with them.

When the Italians and Irish were persecuted immigrants and very poor you had them being more inclined to street crime and violence and consequently in more confrontations with street cops.

It’s a socio economic phenomenon.

Now the OP far as I read didn’t draw any editorial conclusions on these statistics just commiserated his regret that these statistics are a reality in American.

Now if reality had cops shooting white color criminals as they have confrontations with street criminals then most of them would practically all be white men.

Or serial killers, spree killers, the vast majority of them would be white men.

Is their racial injustice in America still? Yes

Has it gotten better over the years? Yes

Is it still room for improvement? Yes

This is a statistic that is very relevant to this issue

The average white person in America has a net worth of 100,000 dollars

The Average black or brown person has a net wealth of 5000 dollars

Case closed

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: theySeeme

originally posted by: Justacasualobserver
But are young black men or other minorities statistically more likely to be involved in crimes which would lead to more encounters with police? I am not saying they are it just seems to be a possibility. Correlation = causation ??

a reply to: Revolution9

No, actually what happens is black men are more likely to be arrested for their crimes, and SENTENCED - often times because black men are MORE LIKELY to not be able to affoard bail, lawyer fees, or other privilages that white people are MORE LIKELY to have access to.

And a whole range of other social injustices. This is white most cold-casese that get solved statistically end up with the arrest of a white male.

you can fact check anything I've said, it's all true.

To put that spin on it requires an intense racist perspective. How in the name of God does a white have more access to a lawyer? Lawyers will take money from anybody because money is always the same color regardless of who's hand it's in.

See statistics weren't meant for this. If more blacks are arrested vs. whites then that doesn't mean blacks are "more likely" to be arrested (unless you're a racist). This isn't the stock market.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: theySeeme No, 99% of those killed were and 99% of those young black men who dropped out of school are.

edit on 1-1-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I can agree. It's a discussion we need to have, nonetheless.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   
As a person whom has traveled the U.S. vastly I can honestly say that there just as many if not more white gangs and gang bangers as there are black and latino

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Your claim that white men are disproportionately more likely to be serial or spree killers is based on prejudice and stereotypes, not facts and statistics.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
Are people seriously trying to claim that white teenagers in the US never dare to hang out in a playground with a fake gun?

Do they fire within a second because he was black or was it because of the city/society they work in has a much higher chance that Rice had a real gun and would have shot at them than lets say in another area with a lot less violence.

Here is an interesting article and if all true it kind of shows how desperate the Cleveland police force is to hire anyone with the level of crime there that has given the city a ranking of 16 out of the top 100 highest crime cities in America.

Bad Cop

By December 5, 2012, Loehmann was no longer a police officer. The Independence Police Department has stated that Loehmann’s employment lasted a total of five months. Four out of those five months were spent in the police academy. Loehmann had spent only a month as an official police officer before his alarming misconduct became too much of a liability for the Independence police force.

According to Loehmann, he voluntarily resigned. According to the Independence Police force, he quit before they could fire him.

In five short months, Loehmann was deemed “emotionally unstable” and unfit for service as a police officer. In his personnel records, his direct supervisors described him as having a “lack of maturity” as well as an “inability to perform basic functions as instructed.” These supervisors were referring to the disturbing behavior Loehmann exhibited during a weapons training session.

Loehmann’s worrisome conduct and mental instability when handling weapons would become a reoccurring theme in his personnel files.

In another training session held at a gun range, Loehmann suffered what was described as an “emotional meltdown.” In a memo sent to Human Resources, Deputy Chief Jim Polak of the Independence Police Department referred to this incident as a “dangerous loss of composure.” Polak noted that Loehmann’s “handgun performance was dismal” and that he was “distracted and weepy” during the training session. After Loehmann’s weapons were taken away by the training officer, he continued his “emotional meltdown” with detailed descriptions of his apparent issues with a girlfriend.

Deputy Chief Polak’s memo included several additional incidents of worrisome misconduct. He concluded the memo with the following:

“Individually, these events would not be considered major situations but, when taken together, they show a pattern of a lack of maturity, indiscretion, and not following instructions.”

“I do not believe time nor training will be able to change or correct these deficiencies.”

In March 2014, after spending two years being denied by every police force he applied to, Timothy Loehmann received an offer from the Cleveland Police Department. They did not check his personnel files.

A few months later, on November 22, 2014 at 3:30 PM, Loehmann shot and killed a 12 year-old child named Tamir Rice.

edit on 1-1-2016 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

A discussion on use of force has nothing to do with race though...that's why I'm just laughing at all these idiots.

You people really think that same cop, same crime, same area but different race of victim a cop will act differently and not shoot? You absolutely have to be racist to have an opinion like that. You also have to not know chit about use of force training ...

(post by Deny Arrogance removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

Especially after guys like the Detroit man who murdered many and kept the bodies in the house where he killed them, he was black. And Matthew's he was black and was both a serial rapist and murderer. Bill Cosby seems to be a serial rapist. No the facts behind only whites doing those crimes is totally biased.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

They are also 9 times more Likely to Commit Criminal Acts that Warrant being Shot by the PO Leece . A PUSH .

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Revolution9
www.theguardian.com...

End of year statistics report by The Guardian.

Despite making up only 2% of the total US population, African American males between the ages of 15 and 34 comprised more than 15% of all deaths logged this year by an ongoing investigation into the use of deadly force by police. Their rate of police-involved deaths was five times higher than for white men of the same age.

The Guardian has done an excellent job of monitoring these statistics this last year. They have very much tried to highlight the reality of statistics.

Non-white Americans make up less than 38% of the US population, but half the number of people killed by police are minorities.

and minorities make up more unarmed people killed by police

Check the figures for yourselves. This is mighty unpleasant reading for me. I hope that 2016 can somehow bring better statistic news. I'll be watching just like the Guardian and most of the world.

America, so near yet so far.

I already anticipate the kind of response here on ATS, so I will not be looking at this thread as I will get too upset. Just letting you know.

Your OP is a fallacy of sorts, because it doesn't show correlating statistics of how many of these young Blacks are more inclined to be involved in criminal activity.

If I gave you a statistic showing total vehicular accidents per year, you would think cars were the worst thing in existence. But if I THEN included how many of them were drunk drivers, it turns out to be a different story....doesn't it?

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   
What's the statistic of young black men being killed by young black men? Where's the data that shows the likelihood of anyone else being killed by cops in their respective demographic? These statistics are charged and absolutely one sided.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
a reply to: butcherguy

Show me any instance where a white 12 year old child playing with a toy gun in a playground has had a few rounds fired into him after seconds of the police arriving... to only then have the police cleared of any wrong doing?

Show me an instance of that happening to a white kid, then your comment might have some substance... Until then, its fair to assume that racism dictates the justice system in the US.

Tamit Rice! = Description of entire US justice sysyem!

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: chuck258

Actually in San Bernardino Ca years back a young white boy was shot and killed by a police officer on school property after hours. they were playing lazer tag or something like that at night on the school grounds. The cops were called and when they saw a suspect with a gun, they shot him. turned out to be a lazer tag gun.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: darkwarrior

A discussion on use of force has nothing to do with race though

That's your opinion. Other people think otherwise.

Regardless of whether or not race is part of the issue, it must be addressed.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

...other people think otherwise because they have a racist perspective. You still aren't getting it. Racism is a perspective, not a word or an act.

Addressing a race angle on everything all the time just trains people to be racist.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   

You still aren't getting it. Racism is a perspective, not a word or an act.

Addressing a race angle on everything all the time just trains people to be racist.

No, I get it very well. Some people have a different point of view than you or I and many believe systemic racism is a problem. That must be addressed and we must have an adult conversation on the issue.

...other people think otherwise because they have a racist perspective.

So if people do not think as you do on this issue they are racist?

That's not a very intelligent position to take.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Just a thought but racism in not just a perspective, it is also and act and a word.

is Xenophobic the word they use for the fear of another race? because maybe reading race into everything would cause that but not necessarily a racist.

I agree with you race must be addressed in certain instances and this is one of those.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Young black men nine times more likely to be killed by police

Its because police see all black persons carrying a gun

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join