It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Young black men nine times more likely to be killed by police

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
a reply to: Willtell

Your claim that white men are disproportionately more likely to be serial or spree killers is based on prejudice and stereotypes, not facts and statistics.

No I got this from statistics. I would have no knowledge of that otherwise.

Maybe those stats have changed since I last look them up.

So you're assertion is false

I would have no rhyme or reason to be inclined to think most spree and serial killers are white men.

This is reported by statistics

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   
When we think of violent gangs, we think of minority groups comprising these gangs. Whether it is black gangs like the bloods and crips or mexican gangs like ms13. The largest and deadliest gangs are comprised of minority groups, period.

The fact is, these gangs exist in urban areas predominantly. When a police officer sees minority groups he has this in mind. When he sees one wearing red/blue's, or is tatted up from face to waist, or is dressed in a way that asserts an affiliation, this is known as CRIMINAL PROFILING. The left likes to call this racism, or racial profiling, when truthfully it is a tool of truth that can be used to gain an upper hand on a bad situation. 'Evil' follows specific trends just as 'goodness' follows specific trends.

As humans, we use trends every single day of our lives to relate to our world and to do our best with what is in front of us. Stereotypes exist for a reason. Some are prejudiced and hateful while others are relevant and wholehearted truths.

There is a reason white kids on a playground with a "toy gun" are not associated with gun violence. There is a reason black kids with a "toy gun" on a playground are taken more seriously as a threat. This is not racism. This is humans using trends, statistics, and logic to better navigate through the world in front of them.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

And it is NOT the fault of the police.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

In use of force training they don't say "be sure not to shoot someone because of their race". Cops have bad reactions from bad training. Not because the system is racist

Saying we need to have an adult conversation about it is a great smoke/mirrors way to cram racist propaganda down people's throats.

Not agreeing with me doesn't make you a racist...but always looking at things in a context of race and looking into everything for preferential treatment based on race does. But again...good job at witty overused Internet rebuttles

If you aren't "colorblind" (ie you dont care/think about anybodies skin color) then you have some sort of race based agenda. The sooner we stop wasting time talking about this crap the sooner we can get back to advancing the only race that matters....the human race.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: darkwarrior

Not agreeing with me doesn't make you a racist

That's pretty much what you said.

...other people think otherwise because they have a racist perspective.

Saying we need to have an adult conversation about it is a great smoke/mirrors way to cram racist propaganda down people's throats.

Adults will acknowledge someone else's concerns and work to either solve the problem or put them to rest. Your approach will not work because you are not even willing to sit down at the adult table and work this out with those that disagree with you. You're saying "it's my way or you're a racist".

How can you solve a problem when you will not even recognize the opinions of other people, whether it's based on racism or not?

If you aren't "colorblind" (ie you dont care/think about anybodies skin color) then you have some sort of race based agenda.

That's a fallacious approach. You make it too easy for someone to say "if you are colorblind, why wont you discuss this issue? You must have a racist agenda".

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: glend

I've been a police officer for over ten years.

I have not shot anyone in that time.

I have worked with many black youth on patrol and as a School Resource Officer.

Never did I think they all carried guns.

Take your blanket hating, prejudice BS somewhere else.

edit on 1-1-2016 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

Good for you but the brain can see things that arn't there from apprehension which can be caused by a fear of blacks more-so than whites. no. How else would you explain the following?

* Police killed at least 101 unarmed black people in 2015, more than any other race.

* Nearly 1 in 3 black people killed by police in 2015 were identified as unarmed, though the actual number is likely higher due to underreporting

* 39% of unarmed people killed by police were black in 2015 despite black people being only 13% of the U.S. population

* Unarmed black people were killed at 6x the rate of unarmed whites in 2015

* Only 7 of the 101 cases resulted in officer(s) being charged with a crime

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 11:41 PM
link   

What is your source?

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 11:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

link

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Unless you are going to list what occurred in every incident where an unarmed person was killed by police those statistics mean nothing.

How many of those unarmed persons were actively fighting the officer that shot them? How many attempted to take the officer's firearm?

Also, those statistics generally include people who were high on a cocktail of drugs that attacked the police, then were tasered. Their deaths are generally attributed to ingesting a cocktail of drugs and a questionable medical history. Of course it is still counted as the police "killing" them.

Again, unless you are going to list the circumstances in each death of an unarmed individual the statistics mean nothing.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 11:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: chadderson
When he sees one wearing red/blue's, or is tatted up from face to waist, or is dressed in a way that asserts an affiliation, this is known as CRIMINAL PROFILING.

There is a reason black kids with a "toy gun" on a playground are taken more seriously as a threat. This is not racism.

What? Really? Sounds like it...gang bangers aren't the only specific group in society that is covered in tatts. It's if those people being profiled have actual gang tattoos.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Your link includes people that were killed in vehicle accidents involving police, people that tried to take officer's guns as they fought with them, even an ADULT that pointed a replica gun at the police.

Nope, not biased at all...

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: game over man

I don't speak for all police officers, but I don't assume someone is a criminal because they have tattoos.

I have two half sleeves, and both legs tattooed myself.

Now, I will admit, if I see a person with a MS 13 tattoo on their neck it may heighten my suspicions.

I'm scum, I know...

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 12:07 AM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

I didn't look at the links source admittingly. My brother was a police officer all his life so you obviously have taken the wrong impression of my original post. I would never have the patience nor attitude to deal with all the baddies and think all in all, police at least in australia, do a wonderful job. So rather than look these threads as a personal attack against yourself. look at them as an opportunity to share your experience, to tell people its not as simple as black or white (no pun attended). I am sure you were a model police officer so apologize for any offence.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Not all of those were shooting victims. They picked every black person that died in a police related incident. Traffic accidents included.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 12:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: theySeeme

No, actually what happens is black men are more likely to be arrested for their crimes, and SENTENCED - often times because black men are MORE LIKELY to not be able to affoard bail, lawyer fees, or other privilages that white people are MORE LIKELY to have access to.

All the more reason NOT to be a criminal, don't you think?

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 12:29 AM
link   

edit on 2-1-2016 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Report: Young black men nine times more likely to be killed by police.

This reminds my something I read in the last year or so that said there was a plan to start a 'Back to Africa" movement in the US in the hope that by giving blacks a hard time they will choose to immigrate back to Africa.

It was mixed with an article that said something along the lines of getting heroin into the back community as a means of wiping them out and if that didn't work then out would come the back to Africa thing.

Perhaps there is a reason why black men are nine times more likely to be killed by police??

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 04:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Azureblue

Perhaps there is a reason why black men are nine times more likely to be killed by police??

There sure is, but everyone wants to make excuses for the blunt truth.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 06:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: darkwarrior

A discussion on use of force has nothing to do with race though

That's your opinion. Other people think otherwise.

Regardless of whether or not race is part of the issue, it must be addressed.
race is an issue to you guys because it only matters if the cop is white and the alleged victim not white.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join