It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, this is how a Milennial sees a solution to the "Living Wage" issue....

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

the economy started blowing in the 70's..... and it's just gotten worse and worse. heck my husband made more in the 80s as a machinist than he did the last year he worked as a journeyman...

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
a reply to: Xtrozero
my husband passed away in febuary of this year. about a month or two before that, we bought a rather large bag of rice, which well, that along with a package of sausage which is costing me about a buck a day and about a third package of frozen vegetables, I can make a pretty decent meal.... chicken is rather cheap also, and works well... cheap pizzas are 3/$7, ect.... like as said...as long as you don't worry about your health....

Chicken and rice is great so is beans and rice. Rice is carbs but it is how much you eat of it, I can think of a hell of a lot, like ALL process foods, that are 10 times worst, and rice feeds about 70% of the world. My wife does a lot of veggie meat dishes over rice, or soups with a little rice in them...all good to me...hehe

I read so many posts of people with low income that live on 90% process foods, that there is there true killer.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 01:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChuckNasty

I only need that much (35k) to support a fam of 5 (not kids mind you, but active adults)...and 2 dogs.

I live within my means though.

And that there is the problem that we have less and less good job that actually pay well to go around, and so people want crappy jobs to be turned into good jobs pay wise and I do not blame them. 35k for 5 adults is not easy I would think.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 01:02 AM
link   

a reply to: nullafides

Doesn't the top percentage of top earners pay the majority of all tax monies in the USA.

How can we expect them to pay more?

Well they do but they also make the most too, so people want more of that taxed. Right or wrong it isn't enough to fix what they are trying to fix.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Rice as most of the populace buys it, has little to no nutritional value. The nutrients you read on the package is usually the powder they add to the white rice. ...Sadly, many people wash white rice thinking that the starch is an evil villain. The truth being told, the washing method removes the vitamin quality of the white rice. Many modern packages of white rice will state, do not wash.

Eating washed white rice is more destructive than eating bleached white flour. At least when eating a bleached white flour product, you can't remove any added vitamins.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Kind of funny how American corporations can apparently afford to invest so heavily in the Australian economy, which has a minimum wage of $20.50 (or $15 US).

Yet these same corporations carry on and moan about how they simply couldn't afford to pay more than the $7.25 minimum for the citizens of there own country... Obviously these corporations are just a bunch of freeloading opportunists and could afford to pay double what there currently paying in minimum wages.

A hard days work, always deserves a fair days pay... no matter what you do for a living!

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 01:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

Go ahead and try it now and see what the real issues are instead of claiming a bunch of bull# from your ivory towers, you know nothing all you have is a personal experience unrelated able with no facts to back it up.

Enlighten us please.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 01:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

It's not that they can't afford it. It's that it cuts into their bottom lines. Why should they make 1 billion when they can make 20 billion?

It's sickening... especially thinking about how the minimum wage employee is their key to making that 20 billion.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Eating washed white rice is more destructive than eating bleached white flour. At least when eating a bleached white flour product, you can't remove any added vitamins.

I buy Thailand rice and yes we do not wash it. Good point.And if you can afford brown rice all the better, but it isn't very cheap for those on a small budget.
edit on 30-12-2015 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 01:14 AM
link   

a reply to: dawnstar

Don't waste your time debating with them.

69% of the economy is service sector.

Simple facts people simple facts.

Several people in my family do the service sector...as nurses and such.

The servitude industry was on the climb when I was in school...teachers spoke of nurses, doctors, janitors making an honest living.

Yes janitors. I've seen janitors make 17 an hour at the local county school.

If you are not resilient, you will be left behind.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I always figured that if I try to cook the way my mother did, it would be healthier than the food that is out there today...
don't remember her ever washing the rice, so I don't. do wish that butter would be cheaper though, would much rather have that. but then that got too expensive for my mom when I was a kid also...so. what can I say.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 01:16 AM
link   

I didn't know that washing rice would rid it of its health benefits. I definitely learned something new through this thread.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 01:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

I buy Thailand rice and yes we do not wash it. Good point.

Ditto. Had to tell the wife many times about washing the Jasmine rice..any rice for that matter.

Even went on to a discussion on how the glycemic index of jasmine rice was compared to a basmati rice... deer in the headlights.

Believe eating a spoon full of refined sugar had the same index as a spoon of jasmine rice.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 01:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace

I didn't know that washing rice would rid it of its health benefits. I definitely learned something new through this thread.

Unless it is brown rice...a whole grain.

Eating brown rice is tons better for you than eating anything refined (as in white rice).

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Eating brown rice is tons better for you than eating anything refined (as in white rice).

Not a fan of brown rice, but I always wondered why it cost so much more when it is less processing.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 01:40 AM
link   
a reply to: ChuckNasty

The facts are that half of the working population make less than 32k a year and that number needs to change.

When did working full time and working hard become not enough to be able to support yourself on?

Give me a damn break you selfish bastards.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 01:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

Not a fan of brown rice, but I always wondered why it cost so much more when it is less processing.

Doesn't store well. Spoils easily.

White rice - lasts freakin forever.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 01:44 AM
link   

a reply to: ChuckNasty

The facts are that half of the working population make less than 32k a year and that number needs to change.

When did working full time and working hard become not enough to be able to support yourself on?

Give me a damn break you selfish bastards.

Our company is in need of labor. You'd make enough to feed your fam if yer willing. Comes will many downfalls.

Edit: A NonUnion Millwright will be your new trade if you decide to venture into what is currently building Merika.
edit on 30-12-2015 by ChuckNasty because: edit as above.

2nd Edit: Noticed no takers. PM me and I might fwd you a link or two. The job req 100% travel and you won't be home when you are working. Starting pay is garbage, but easily upped. Starting pay is enough to support a fam.
edit on 30-12-2015 by ChuckNasty because: 2nd edit as above

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Doesn't store well. Spoils easily.

White rice - lasts freakin forever.

Less than 1 year compared to 20 plus years. Since we are a rice eating family I actually have 8 50lbs bags of it as part of my survival supply, and we just rotate them as we use a bag up.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 02:11 AM
link   

About the time the US lost all its manufacturing jobs. You can bust you butt digging ditches but it doesn't pay much and neither does many of the jobs available because they are low skilled jobs easy to fill, replace and train, nothing new there since forever, but what is new is we do not have as many quality jobs that pay better. I'm not sure how to fix that than to force companies back to the US and stimulate job growth, neither seems like a priority for our government.

Now if you want to make 35k flipping burgers you better own the place too, sorry to say.

edit on 30-12-2015 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join