It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A wary start to Syrian refugees’ new life in Kentucky

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

Is not that easy, as a mother of a college graduate from UGA in GA I have to say that my daughter no only graduated with high honors and dual degrees on stem cell research and biology, but had to forget about getting a job on her field due to grand selection favoring foreign students, yes foreign students that comes to the US with student visas, get tax payer money and priority for research in science.

My daughter worked for a bank for 3 years while going back to school to try another field, after the frustration, thankfully, again graduated with honors and got a job that allow her to live her dream life even with all the student loans she is paying.

Life is not easy for American born college grads this days, at least my daughter had us to help her, many students had to survive with whatever while paying large student loans.

Our local hospital is full of foreign doctors that can hardly speak English, some of the even get translators.

What that tells you, been a born American this days is actually a disadvantage.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   
fields such as medicine LOVE forieners.Doctors that are foreign trained still have to pass a battery of USA tests, & they must serve a residency in a USA hospital.

Most teaching hospitals in the USA are 'charity' hospitals. These teaching hospitals use the doctors (residents and interns) as slave labor. Therefore when these hospitals have a strong incentive to import as many residents as they can. (within a set of government approved regulations)

Imagine you're the CFO @ Joe Doh hospital. You have a bunch of poor sick people, not enough doctors, and no budget. The solution..........import some free foreign doctors. Of course, after 2/12 years they may practice anywhere they like. It is the same in alot of industries.... the same goes in the tourism industry. Russians imported...Haitins...etc.

India bringing more more and more families overseas to set up motels, all the family living in motels, relying on kin from India to make things work—you realize they have other things that help them move up and it’s not just about meritocracy.

It is in every industry really Marg

edit on 28-12-2015 by ReadLeader because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   

It is, I will not deny that, but then when our American born students complain of no jobs and student loans that they have to pay, they are told to shut up, man up and work for walmart.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

I did not attend college- I have had my own company for almost 16yrs. I am now returning to college to "see what they know"

However, my industry (I.T. & security) is in high demand; I get offers every week from companies that pay extremely well. I have relatives in Wal Mart HQRS that earn an incredible living, so don't quite bash them yet; I myself have done a lot of contract work through Wal Mart for 'Samsung' and the pay is well above average; I have been solicited by recruiters for Wal Mart to relocate and utilize my skill set for a well above salary and stock offerings... but I am choosing a different route.

Maybe your daughter just didn't have any experience or could have settled for a little less to 'get her feet wet' ?
OR maybe she just didn't have the network of associates... I am going to school for a retirement job in healthcare and the opportunities (here in the Midwest anyway) are abundant!

ETA- just a quick search on Indeed on stem cell and OR Biology pulled up hundreds of jobs!!!!

edit on 28-12-2015 by ReadLeader because: job search

edit on 28-12-2015 by ReadLeader because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

There are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many jobs where I live; the issue (s) that I see, as I know many 20 somethings; they are not going to accept, in most instances a job that pays a measly 30-40K per year (starting out). The expectations are way too high.

For example, I was hiring for an inside support position that starts out at 28900K per year. The college grads had their eyes on the 40+K per year salary. The job is really a 48,000 per yr. salary, BUT you have to learn the job & put in the effort; there is hardly (if any) life experience, customer skill set at such a young age.

I have a real simple pre-hire test that my candidates must take on their 2nd interview; one of the items is a quick spread sheet (you would NOT believe how many fail this part) the rest are somewhat IT related, and situational. I have had college grads- late, no call, no-show, no call; and flat out not return to a 2nd or 3rd interview.

It is concerning where the future will be industry wise….

On another note, I am thankful for social media, as it allows me to see what kind of person the candidate is and life styles even more so:-)! ! ! ! ! I am able to weed out the slackers real fast!

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Hopefully this guy isn't like a guy I heard on NPR the other week. A refuge wanted to go to England or the USA...but then went on a rant about how the USA and their allies are the cause of the death and destruction in his homeland (Afganistan). That guy wanted to do harm for sure.

But this guy, wanting to be with his friends and family doesn't seem the case. I just feel sorry for him that he is in freaking Kentucky of all places.

I'm sure in a years time, he'll own his own business and be living the American dream.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   

She was into the research part of stem cell, for that you have to earn a grand within the colleges that does the stem cell, when she graduated it was not many, the stem cell was under scrutiny. She did her practice with the CDC in Atlanta.

Now things have change, but also my daughters profession, she also relocated to Panama City beach, she is happy with the medical field choice, and live very well, I ask her if she will consider going back to research but she now will not even consider it.

As for Wal-Mart here in my neck of the woods a welfare majority town with 4 of them all you get is minimum wage jobs.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Hey marg, I wonder what kind of $$$$ they get for 3 months worth of rent for 6 people? Also utilities, furniture, household goods such as kitchenware, bedding, towels, blankets, food, clothing, laundry,medical, transportation, dental, whatever they need right? It realllly sux as everyone I know is suffering and desperate to find good jobs where they can barely survive at best. Did you see where they were suing because they could not afford their food on foodstamps! Yeah, bring on the sob stories, the sob stories of American families to balance this mess.
edit on pm1231pmMon, 28 Dec 2015 19:41:30 -0600 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader I would rather my tax dollars went to a refugee family than some Meth head on food stamps.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Look2theSacredHeart

I know there MUST be others, however, Wisconsin is going to start drug testing food stamp recipients. Now, I know everyone goes through hard times. My personal belief is that; if one is going to apply for aid or assistance, and it is coming from my tax dollars, they A-Better be in dire need and B- be straight, no booze, no drugs C-, they better be looking for gainful employment (if physically and emotional capable)each and every day M-F.

Albuquerque has begun payin g the homeless to do city clean-up work, brilliant!!

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 01:40 AM
link   

The caseworker led them back into the living room to sign paperwork. She explained that the ­government would pay their rent for the first three months, just as it had for 90 other Syrians who had arrived in Louisville in the past year. They would be provided with job training, cash assistance, food stamps and English classes. They were expected to be ­self-sufficient within five or six months. “This is money you can spend in case of an emergency,” the caseworker said, handing Sarhan $100 in cash. “These will help you travel places,” she said, giving him a roll of tickets for the city bus. “Do you have any questions?”

So, we are handing out this money, rent and everything else to these people....
Let me put this right here....

Lets take care of our OWN first before we take care of ANYONE ELSE

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 02:05 AM
link   

What sort of people continue to breed more children when the place they are living is so bad that they have to leave ?

Crazy #, i do not feel sorry for them at all.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I can't get a good laborer for my assistant. They keep quitting because they have to work 40 hours and be on time. High school diploma only and paying $23 an hour with full bennies and they want to work 20 hours at the most. Come in at 10 work for a few hours then leave when they want to.

My next laborer is going to be a long hard look and 6 months probation instead of 30 days

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: HomerinNC
Lets take care of our OWN first before we take care of ANYONE ELSE

So are you?
Are you personally dealing with homelessness and the metal health issues that so often precipitate it? Have you pressed your representatives to make it a priority issue? Why can't you deal with both calamities? There's always more than enough money to blow # up, but never enough to fix it afterwards.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join