It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A wary start to Syrian refugees’ new life in Kentucky

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Source

LOUISVILLE —America’s newest family of Syrian refugees flew in late at night, and Sarhan Aldobai, 36, looked down from the plane at the distant lights of his new home. His wife was nursing their baby in the next seat. His five other children had fallen asleep. Sarhan took out the small world map he had carried since leaving Syria in 2012 and tried to trace the plane’s path.

Curious about the plight of Syrian refugees and how the arrive in the States then this article is a must read. Come follow one families journey from war torn Syria, to Jordan, applying for refugee status with the UN hoping for a place in Europe (because of family and friends) only to be randomly sent to the US. Learn about how the US investigated them for two years, gave training on American culture, and how they're settled into Kentucky with their rent being paid for 3 months while their training continues to help them seek a job, learn English, and hopefully will self sufficient in 6 months or so.

edit on 27-12-2015 by Swills because: (no reason given)

+20 more 
posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
The money spent relocating one refugee all the way in the US could fund the relocation of 13 war refugees in a safe place in the Middle East closer to their home. There they can speak their language and continue their customary way of life.

And of course it will be much closer and easier for them o go back home whn the war is over.

Why help so relatively few whn you can help 13 times more?

+11 more 
posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

In six months he will be joining the welfare lines just like the rest of the unemployed Americans right now.

With 6 children they will have not problem with that, perhaps a lesson on birth control should come handy.

Still they get 3 months pay rent more than most poor in this nation ever get, let no forget the homeless, nerveless I welcome them to the American experience, life in the mighty US is not always an American dream.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

Many of the ME nations have been taking in refugees. In this case, Jordan refused to give him a work permit. He then applied to the UN and wanted to relocate somewhere in Europe but was given the U.S.

The U.S. has been taking in refugees since forever so why is it a problem for you now?

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Ugh, why am I not surprised by your post.

Why do you assume he will be on welfare, is it because he won't be able to find a job or will become a freeloader?

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Hopefully he can get a grant and start a business.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Syria isn't a city of mud huts. Syrians are a modern people with television, electricity, computers, cars, skilled jobs.. There are many well-educated who have gone to university and are skilled engineers and scientists. Many of the refuges sold their homes when they left and so they have some money. It cost them to exit the country and travel, and they anticipated the need for funds. Some things to keep in mind to put this in context.

+10 more 
posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Research on the unemployment statistics in the US and you will get your answer.

And I am glad you are "no surprised by my post", I don't hide my views or opinions, thank god for Americas freedom that as a women allowed me to speak my mind without been beheaded.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: hillbilly4rent

Good luck to them starting a business in Louisville. The turnover rate on commercial property here is crazy high.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   

What does having to be a woman have to do with this? Btw, who knew you were a woman? Ohhhhhh, marg..

Research eh? I love that I have to do it to back your statement. I'm sure google will find damming evidence and evidence to the contrary from a wide field of sources. If I look at Fox news, Glenn Beck, or Breitbart I'm sure all I'd see are negative statistics about refugees and immigrants but will also find the opposite if I'm reading a liberal news outlet.

At least the US gov't continues to work with these people and provide job training, teaching them English, and so on, because that will give people the best chance to fulfill the American dream.

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Of all places LOUISVILLE, Ky? As another poster stated; "in 6 months they could be living on the system"

The article stated "They had to sign up for benefits and Social Security cards at a government office downtown. Both Sarhan and his wife needed to go." This is when I stopped reading and took offense....

I for one am embarrassed due to the fact we have our OWN American Citizens that dont have food, shelter or clothing. But we're bringing in refugees and handing the key to OUR American dream.....AT the Taxpayers expenses!!!!

When do we start taking care of ourselves for a damn change......

edit on 27-12-2015 by ReadLeader because: Sp

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

Ugh, why am I not surprised by your post.

Why do you assume he will be on welfare, is it because he won't be able to find a job or will become a freeloader?

What we have seen happening over in europe will probably happen here.The "refugees" will
end up on some kind of public assistance.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   
well on the upside some of you can stop focussing on Americans who are in the unemployment line and focus on the new boogieman....

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

Taken into consideration the 6 under age children in between you know how It will end, specially when no even Wal-Mart pay enough to feed such a large family, I am sure the mother will produce another child within a year, one that will be born American.

But is ok, because they are guarantee tax payer benefits, in their refugee status.

Refugees eligible for federal public benefits

www.rcusa.org...

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   

All at OUR expence....

2nd....

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

No, I disagree. It's obviously very easy for any Middle Eastern to sneak into Europe by way of Turkey, refugees included! Similar to the US southern boarder issues but if a refugee wants into the US they can't just drive/float over. A very small few have actually made their journey from Syria to South America hoping to get the states but the rest will just apply for refugee status with the UN/US. Once that happens a two year investigation begins and when vetted then they are flown to the states.

I think the US has taken in the least amount of Syrian refugees of all the nations accepting them.
edit on 27-12-2015 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: okachobi

There are many well-educated who have gone to university and are skilled engineers and scientists.
Text

And just how many US college graduates cannot find a job ???
Don't you see the frustration of US citizens?

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: samkent

There are copious amounts of jobs that are available nationwide. The main problem With recent college grads, is that they believe they should start at the top, rather than working thier way up the corporate ladder....

The average "recent" graduate (millinials) stays at thier job for less than one year, the majority of that Time searching for something bigger /better

www.mainstreet.com...

"Many in the Millennial generation are taking jobs that they are over-qualified for and thus are eager to move on when something better appears," said Bob Funk, CEO of Express, and a former chairman of the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City. "

edit on 27-12-2015 by ReadLeader because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
The money spent relocating one refugee all the way in the US could fund the relocation of 13 war refugees in a safe place in the Middle East closer to their home. There they can speak their language and continue their customary way of life.

And of course it will be much closer and easier for them o go back home whn the war is over.

Why help so relatively few whn you can help 13 times more?

Simple answer Europeans were getting upset the United States wasn't taking in Syrian refugees. So this waist of money is happening to maintain relations nothing more. However The US has taken in refugees from central America under the same circumstances and we didn't scream for Europe to take them I'm as well. Why? For the exact reason you mentioned to far from their home as the ultimate goal is for someday they can return to their country. Though in reality most would choose to stay I'm sure.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 11:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: samkent
a reply to: okachobi

There are many well-educated who have gone to university and are skilled engineers and scientists.
Text

And just how many US college graduates cannot find a job ???
Don't you see the frustration of US citizens?

Not many this is a myth college graduates have plenty of jobs available. Often it is an inflexability on their part that leads to unemployment. Just because you graduated doesn't mean your ready for the job. Often you need to start in a lower position and learn the trade so to speak. But today people think the degree alone will get you a good job. In actuality it just gets your foot in the door.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join