It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brazil declares emergency due to Zika Virus outbreak

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: concerned190

That is scary, knowing Gates supports global population reduction.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 12:24 AM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

Correction. Gates supports a reduction in population growth. So do I.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 12:28 AM
link   
What do genetically modified mosquitoes have to do with a disease which has been known for 70 years?

The rant in your link makes no sense. Zika virus is Zika virus, it is carried by mosquitoes whether or not those mosquitoes are genetically modified.

edit on 1/4/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 12:54 AM
link   
"Oxitec’s male OX513A GM mosquitoes are intended to mate with wild females and produce
offspring which die as larvae. Releases of many millions or billions of GM males, vastly
outnumbering the wild male mosquito population, are intended to reduce the total adult
population of mosquitoes over time, as many of the GM offspring fail to survive to adulthood.
The GM mosquitoes released in the experiments are of the Aedes aegypti species, which
transmits the tropical disease dengue fever. There is as yet no evidence from any country
that releases of GM mosquitoes can reduce the incidence of dengue fever."
From the pdf I can't link.
Yes it's a disease that's been around for ages but they are releasing millions more and they are surviving and breeding still. Even though they are meant to terminate at larva stage.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 01:00 AM
link   
There has been no monitoring of the impacts on dengue fever of its GM mosquito releases in any country, despite a scientific consensus that assessing impacts on disease is essentialto assess the efficacy of new technologies.5,6 Oxitec and its research partners in Brazil have both admitted that the experiments there (the largest ones conducted) are inadequate to assess the impacts on disease.
In February 2014, a dengue emergency was declared in
Jacobina, Brazil, one of the areas where Oxitec conducted its experiments.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Just in time for the world to show up for the Olympics.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

Correction. Gates supports a reduction in population growth. So do I.

That makes sense, if you kill or sterilize people and lower the population, then there are less people churning out new fresh babies.
And then population won't GROW as much or as quick as now.

Your play on words is ridiculous though. Supporting a reduction in the growth of population is the same as supporting a reduction in the population.

Maybe when you openly offer support for elitist agendas like Bill Gates style agendas, it makes you feel a sense of superiority? What business is it to you if people grow faster or slower in regards to population growth?
edit on 5-1-2016 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I just wanted to give this a bump,

As it is now approaching February, and I heard on BBC news last night that the disease will most probably spread throughout the Americas, excluding Canada and Chile.

Also heard that the numbers are something like 150 cases of microcephaly last year, and 4000 from October 2015 till now, in Brazil alone.

Cases suspected in Puerto Rico, Honduras most recently.

Just keeping an eye on any new reports.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Wetpaint72

There was just a report on our local news about a confirmed case in Arkansas.

It was on THV11 news at 5.

I just checked the website and its not posted yet... probably in an hour or two.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I still find it odd that the very same kind of mosquito that carries the virus just happens to be the same species of mosquito that they have genetically modified and have been releasing in Brazil since 2011.

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonlover12
Will take a look...thanks!

Eta just read the report. Seems both the Virginia and Arkansas case involved travel to outside country, not invasion of the actual mosquito.

Spring will be interesting, as the wet environments and warmer weather, prime for mosquito infestation, rolls around.

edit on 26-1-2016 by Wetpaint72 because: To add

posted on Jan, 26 2016 @ 08:05 PM
link   
And BTW also reports of it being sexually transmitted as well.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: concerned190
This person thinks there is a connection between the virus and gmo mosquitos. birdflu666.wordpress.com...

mosquitoes fed on cat food

Since when did mosquito's eat cat food?? I thought they only feed on blood?
edit on 27-1-2016 by TiM3LoRd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Zika has finally touched Europe. And guess what I am in Europe now. As one member had once said, either trouble follows me or I follow trouble

Head-shrinking Zika virus reaches Denmark after tourist returning from Latin America is diagnosed with the disease.

Danish tourist diagnosed with Zika virus, linked to brain damage in babies Returned from travels in Central and South America, said Aarhus hospital Pregnant women are told to avoid travelling to the affected 22 countries.

Four cases in Italy, three in Britain and two in region of Catalonia in Spain.

LINK
edit on 27/1/16 by asen_y2k because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 05:12 AM
link   

I still find it odd that the very same kind of mosquito that carries the virus just happens to be the same species of mosquito that they have genetically modified and have been releasing in Brazil since 2011.

yet it took 4 years to establish an outbreak. Seriously, I could do a better job if I had those resources

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 05:40 AM
link   

This person thinks there is a connection between the virus and gmo mosquitos. birdflu666.wordpress.com...

The carrier of the Zika virus, the Aedes aegypti mosquito, was genetically modified by the British company Oxitec, which has received funding from Bill Gates.

The larvae of genetically modified mosquitoes are supposed to die at the late larvae or early pupae stage unless they are exposed to the antibiotic tetracycline when they have increased survivorship.

Scientists at the Insitut Pasteur in Paris discovered that genetically modified mosquitoes fed on cat food consisting of factory reared chickens fed large amounts of the antibiotic tetracycline had an increased survival rate.

djees, Jane Burgmeister

She wnet into crazy mode when the mexican flu broke out, I guess she still is stuck in that mode

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 12:07 AM
link   
The UK company Oxitec has conducted experimental open releases of genetically modified
(GM) mosquitoes in the Cayman Islands, Malaysia, Brazil and Panama. Oxitec’s releases of
GM mosquitoes in the Cayman Islands and Malaysia have ceased but open releases in
Brazil have continued since 2011 and started in Panama in 2014.All the company’s open field
experiments to date involve its OX513A strain of the Aedes aegypti mosquito.
Oxitec and its research partners in Brazil have
both admitted that the experiments there (the largest ones conducted) are inadequate to
assess the impacts on disease. About 200 biting female GM mosquitoes were released in every million males.
There are a number of mechanisms through which Oxitec’s GM mosquitoes can survive and
spread, including by feeding in areas contaminated with the antibiotic tetracycline, which is
widely used in medicine and agriculture. In the laboratory, 3% of the offspring of Oxitec’s GM
mosquitoes survive to adulthood, even in the absence of the antidote tetracycline.42 When
GM mosquitoes were fed cat food containing industrially farmed chicken, which contains the
antibiotic tetracycline, the survival rate increased to 15-18%. Oxitec claims that this survival rate will not happen in the wild because
the GM larvae will breed only in clean water. However, a number of studies have found that
Aedes aegypti mosquitoes can breed in septic tanks where there can be high levels of
contamination with antibiotics such as tetracycline. Ae. aegypti also commonly
live in areas where discarded takeaways are likely to contain meat contaminated with
tetracycline.The
percentage of surviving GM insects, including biting females, could also increase if
resistance to the genetic killing mechanism evolves over time: for example, genetic
mutations in the insects which allow the GM insects to survive and breed successfully could
be rapidly selected for during mass production.
www.google.com...://www.genewatch.org/uploads/f03c6d66a9b354535738483c1c3d49e4/Oxitec_GWbrief_Mar15.pdf&ved=0a hUKEwil_OPErs7KAhUCTSYKHYzbBLwQFgggMAE&usg=AFQjCNFWTQRAM-blKI3nzZxCCv-HwfUtfg
edit on 1/29/2016 by concerned190 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Oxitec and its research partners in Brazil have
both admitted that the experiments there (the largest ones conducted) are inadequate to
assess the impacts on disease.

That statement is somewhat convoluted. Are you saying the producers of the GM mosquitos are not sure if they have something to do with the rapid spread of Zika or if they have something to do with the increase in the rate of microcephaly?

Could you provide a link which might better explain your point?

Oh, nevermind. I see your source is not Oxitec.
edit on 1/29/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Brazil, what a far away place to try out new diseases, found in forest monkeys? KMA.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 06:46 AM
link   
There are a number of mechanisms through which releasing GM mosquitoes could make the
impacts of the dengue virus worse, including:
(i) In areas of high mosquito abundance, where dengue is endemic, reducing the
frequency of biting can increase the incidence of the more serious form and
often fatal of the disease, dengue haemorrhagic fever (DHF), by reducing
cross-immunity to the four different serotypes of the dengue virus, or
increasing the incidence of dengue fever (DF) due to age-related effects
(known as ‘endemic stability’).

(ii) Enabling an increase or expansion in territory occupied by the competitor
species Aedes albopictus, an important vector for dengue and chikungunya in
many countries which may be harder to eradicate than Aedes aegypti.
Brazilian experts have warned that dengue may mutate so that Aedes
albopictus becomes a more important dengue vector in such circumstances.
The potentially devastating effect of a single mutation in the virus has already
been observed with chikungunya. Aedes albopictus has been responsible
for concurrent epidemics of dengue and chikungunya in some countries and
its presence can also extend the dengue season and perhaps introduce new
viruses.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join