It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saving "Bacon" the 200 Pound Pig

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I saw this and just had to share it with all of you pet lovers!
Latoria Middleton had raised Rick "Bacon" Ross since he was just a piglet...

On Wednesday the two year old (you know how toddlers are!) had wandered away from home.
His sibling, a dog, followed his (Bacon's) scent to a manhole where he had fallen into.

Latoria climbed down into the manhole, thinking she could bring him up on her own but, alas...she could not.

When the firefighters arrived, Latoria climbed out and they (the firefighters) set out to harness the 200 pound pet and pull him to safety.

“Once we started the process, it only took maybe 10 minutes to get him out,” Stafford said. “He was fine. went right up to his owner. He was just happy, as good as could be.”

WARNING!

His squeals of fear and joy are a little annoying...probably why I don't have a pet pig!

I have had a pet go missing and it scares one to death! Luckily his dog sibling was able to locate him. Especially THIS time of year with so many people with ham in their eyes for Christmas Dinner.
Happy ending!

Atlanta Journal
edit on 20-12-2015 by TNMockingbird because: add photo

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Prob some squeals of pain too, but glad they were able to get Bacon out of there!

I heard pigs can be some great pets, always kinda wanted to get one

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   
(Someone had to do it)

Imagine if there police officers here, could you imagine how many times that pig (no pun intended) would be shot after charging the officers and them fearing for their lives?

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: RomeByFire

You're kidding right? Pigs of a feather and all that.

I kid really. I have some cops in my family.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Is 200 lbs big or small for a pig?
Just curious?

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Phibes

I think a "regular" farm hog can run upwards of 1000 lbs.
A "pet" pot bellied pig can get up to 250...

That is fairly big for a pet pig...can you imagine the wandering around the house?

Just wow! I am sure people love them the way I love my dog.

My brother had a pig in Florida. He LOVED that pig...they treated him like a human...I'll see if I can find a photo...

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Thanks that's kinda what I thought. I heard pigs can be really fun and smart pets as well. But i also think it would kinda suck getting attached to a pig and have to get it slaughtered one day cause of it growing too big and or hostile? These might be myth's though. As you can tell I am a city boy, lol.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I raised this beast from a cute little wild piglet. He was approaching 600 lbs. Had to put him down when he started getting aggressive.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Phibes

Maybe it's true...not sure...AND I don't remember what happened to my brother's pig.

I CAN'T even remember it's name! GEEZ!
(Note to self: call your brother! It's Christmas for gosh sakes!)

Anyway, here's the pic...took me a minute to find it AND turn him into a "demon" LOL!

This is when it was a baby and they would send photos like you do of your children...he and my SIL never had children so their pets were their kiddos...

edit on 20-12-2015 by TNMockingbird because: spelling and add photo

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

That's kinda what i thought, they do get mean as they get older and are not pet material at all.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Thanks, and seriously call him.

ETA: I understand not calling him also. I myself have a brother i will not talk to and never will too, so i can understand if that is the case.
Anyway happy holidays and Merry Christmas.

edit on 12 20 2015 by Phibes because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Good story! I love pigs; they are very intelligent animals. I'm glad Bacon was cared about and found by his dog and human.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phibes

That's kinda what i thought, they do get mean as they get older and are not pet material at all.

He was still cool with me and a few other people that he grew up with. If you were a stranger or a dog you were in trouble.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Yep, I bet that was the case. I heard it's really easy for pigs to go Ferrel and become hostile.
So did you have the pig butchered and processed? Or was it to old?

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Yep, I bet that was the case. I heard it's really easy for pigs to go Ferrel and become hostile.
So did you have the pig butchered and processed? Or was it to old?

His head is mounted on the wall. There was a lot of bacon. His hams weighed about 60 lbs each. Nothing was wasted.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23I guess that was all good. Was he a pet? How did you get past the pet/food barrier if that was the case? if so sorry, i bet it was hard if so.

edit on 12 20 2015 by Phibes because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   

a reply to: skunkape23I guess that was all good. Was he a pet? How did you get past the pet food barrier if that was the case? if so sorry, i bet it was hard if so.

It was one of those 'Ol' Yeller' moments when I had to do him in. It was for the best. And he was delicious.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23Thanks and sorry if i brought up bad memories. I was just curious. I am glad that you did however utilize the meat.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   

a reply to: skunkape23Thanks and sorry if i brought up bad memories. I was just curious. I am glad that you did however utilize the meat.

No apologies necessary. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. He had a good life, he died with no suffering, and he fed a lot of people. Pretty much a win/win situation for all involved.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I'm glad for that. Again sorry if i brought up bad memories. I was just curious about the pet/food barrier. Thanks again for being honest.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join