It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students at Oberlin College Bellyaching about 'Inauthentic' Ethnic Food

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I didn't complain about my college food, and none of it was presented as "ethnic".

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

And is this some kind of million-man protest?

This is laughable. A handful of kids...really. This is a pitiful attempt to paint a large swath of the population in a negative light.

These kids are actually pretty smart...using PC seems to get a lot of attention. When you don't have the numbers, use racially charged rhetoric!

It certainly seems to be getting your attention!

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Come on now. How would you guys like a burger made with mustard on it? Or peanut butter on a hot dog?

Oh My, I just recall a friend of mine doing that

but he was always a weirdo
edit on 20-12-2015 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Mustard > Mayo.

EOT

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

The US is weird in a lot of countries because we have peanut butter.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Yessiree... no doubt about it.

There most certainly is a whole lot of bitching, whining, moaning and groaning going on around here these days.

... and I'm not talking about the college students at Oberlin.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I would have to agree with the kids steamed Gen Tso's chicken just sounds nasty.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

They are complaining about the food. That is not unreasonable. And they are not expecting it to be free. They are paying for it and want what they pay for.

Expecting to get what you pay for is entirely reasonable, yes.

Do people go to college for the food or for the education? Let's keep our perspective here, firstly.

Second, and more importantly as far I'm concerned, is:

When does the bitching stop?

It's not really about the lunch or who pays for it. These are specifics of a much larger problem--a society that only knows how to solve problems by throwing fits until they get their way.

It's about people growing up and taking responsibility for their own lives. It's about shutting up and doing your homework, kid. Perspective, remember?

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

We're talking about a normal human response that transcends age and education. If you go to a restaurant and you get a side of rice that is not cooked properly, or perhaps a steak that is overcooked and tough, you will probably complain.

Is this a new phenomenon to complain about horrible food?

No.

To say this is some sort of societal problem is absolutely absurd.

People have been bitching about bad food for thousands of years.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Exactly, I also found it amusing that when kids run into bad sushi rice. It isn't just improperly made sushi rice. It is an insult to the culture of Japan and an attempt at cultural appropriation.

The Hindus are upset because someone cooked the beef Tandoori style, but there are plenty of recipes where you can cook it that way likely because the Indian version is to use lamb which is expensive and difficult to source in the US ... so swap out the lamb for beef which happens in plenty of recipes you can find. It is not an intentional insult to Hindus, but that is how the complaint is couched.

If the African-Americans want more vegetarian dishes with less cream. Ask for them, it is not intended to be an insult to your culture because they are not there. And if someone told you they were having fried chicken every night because someone heard that's what African-Americans liked ... someone would have been upset because that's racist! Instead, they aren't having it enough ...

Maybe ... if you don't like the food your dining hall is having, you just shouldn't eat there? But just because they aren't cooking it like you like it doesn't mean they are intentionally trying to offend you or your culture in some deep-seated way.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

People have been bitching about bad food for thousands of years.

For most of those thousands of years, if you bitched about your food you were cast into the wilderness to starve to death as an ingrate.

But that's beside the point. It isn't the food. It's everything. The generations coming up bitch about everything and expect all of their problems to be magically solved for them without expending any of their own effort.

It's ridiculous and tiresome. That is, I think, what many are so exasperated with.

That, and people never being taught how to count their blessings. They're getting an education that is the envy of most of the world (regardless of who is paying for it), and there they are bitching about the damn chicken.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   
And yet another thread to cry about supposed PC.

The people who complain about this new idiotic PC movement seem to whine about it just as much the people they dislike...

The people in the middle, like me, just watch these two sides and laugh.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   

The generations coming up bitch about everything

You guys are on an internet forum complaining about college kids complaining about food.

It's ridiculous and tiresome. That is, I think, what many are so exasperated with.

You're right. I'm tired of college kids bitching about food and I'm tired of nutters bitching about stuff that is so silly that I have to question whether or not they are on the same intellectual level as a college snowflake.

They're getting an education that is the envy of most of the world (regardless of who is paying for it), and there they are bitching about the damn chicken.

That's a logical fallacy. A red herring.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: theonenonlyone
And yet another thread to cry about supposed PC.

The people who complain about this new idiotic PC movement seem to whine about it just as much the people they dislike...

The people in the middle, like me, just watch these two sides and laugh.

Exactly, it's reverse-PC.

It's not PC to be PC. Weird, but it seems to be the new thing these folks are doing. They're using PC tactics to fight against PC people.

IMO they're worse, as they're perpetuating the entire PC thing by using PC themselves. What an odd world we live in...

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

It is like they do not see what is going on..

"These damn whiny kids ", let me start a thread and whine about them.

It is like they don't see the irony..

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

It is ironic, because they are attempting to show us that these PC students need to be like them and suck it up.

But what is coming across is not a person who sucks it up and walks away but are coming across as the very people they despise and I for one love it...

edit on 20-12-2015 by theonenonlyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Yeah, they are wining, but probably not so unfounded (even though I hate winey)...
looks like this town and school has most of the students by the short and curly's.

There is not a place to eat for a long ways around that campus. Take a Google of the area...

Looks like you eat there, or you have to drive somewhere.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   
These are the students at Oberlin:

They demonstrate a rising trend in the declining resilience in college students.

A year ago I received an invitation from the head of Counseling Services at a major university to join faculty and administrators for discussions about how to deal with the decline in resilience among students. At the first meeting, we learned that emergency calls to Counseling had more than doubled over the past five years. Students are increasingly seeking help for, and apparently having emotional crises over, problems of everyday life. Recent examples mentioned included a student who felt traumatized because her roommate had called her a “bitch” and two students who had sought counseling because they had seen a mouse in their off-campus apartment. The latter two also called the police, who kindly arrived and set a mousetrap for them.

I wonder if any of the poor dears were traumatized enough that they had to seek emotional support for this insensitive assault on their wonderful cultures by dining services?

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I wonder if any of the poor dears were traumatized enough that they had to seek emotional support for this insensitive assault on their wonderful cultures by dining services?

Are you able to find someone for emotional support? This has obviously effected you in some way.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv
Yeah, they are wining, but probably not so unfounded (even though I hate winey)...
looks like this town and school has most of the students by the short and curly's.

There is not a place to eat for a long ways around that campus. Take a Google of the area...

Looks like you eat there, or you have to drive somewhere.

And they are required to purchase meal plans as part of their tuition. Kind of hard to run-out for an alternative if you are a broke college kid.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join