It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students at Oberlin College Bellyaching about 'Inauthentic' Ethnic Food

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

They have every right to complain if the food sucks and it's sad that we have to make it a political issue.

It isn't a political issue, per se. It is a cultural issue.

An entire generation (multiple generations, now) of brats who expect everything they want the moment they want it. And for free.

That's the real problem. And it has arisen, in large part, due to a culture that can no longer direct and manage itself without state direction/manipulation/coercion.

That's where it gets political, and you're right, probably for another thread.

Kids being selfish entitled little twits are simply that.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

An entire generation (multiple generations, now) of brats who expect everything they want the moment they want it. And for free.

They are complaining about the food. That is not unreasonable. And they are not expecting it to be free. They are paying for it and want what they pay for.

That's the real problem. And it has arisen, in large part, due to a culture that can no longer direct and manage itself without state direction/manipulation/coercion.

That's where it gets political, and you're right, probably for another thread.

Kids being selfish entitled little twits are simply that.

Ah, yes. Of course it's a grand conspiracy of state coercion. Seriously, you guys need to get some fresh air. They are bitching about crappy food and people are taking this to idiotic extremes.

I'm sure someone will come along soon to show us how the Illuminati is behind this and it's a communist NWO plot to take over education through General Tso's chicken.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   
These students would eat Soylent Green then complain that it wasn't "people" enough!

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

so the food is not a decent quality because it is not authentic?

oh come on.

nothing but a bunch of cry baby bitch hipsters.

plenty of decent quality food right there a stones throw away from the main campus square.

since when does a school meal plan mean killer amazing authentic #?

let em eat out of vending machines like everyone else.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   

what exactly are the paying for?
what kind of meal?
enough to give them basic nutrition or authentic, 3 michelin star type food?

what a crock

you see them as bitching cause the food 'sucks' and they are not getting what they pay for

the article says kids are complaining that there is not enough fried chicken. saying the bread on their viet sammy was not correct.

this does not seem like a lack of quality to me.
seems like hipster assholes bitching cause they want things a certain way and everyone must adjust the whole damn world accordingly.

edit on 20-12-2015 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

wonder if these kids have ever heard of the culinary term - fusion cuisine?

Fusion cuisine sucks though. And, it appears it's being labelled as 'authentic'

“If people not from that heritage take food, modify it and serve it as ‘authentic,’ it is appropriative,” she said.

I really don't have anything to say on that specific case, but the banh mi being served with coleslaw is freaking weird. The complaint said 'ridiculous' and it's from a Viet student, so to me it's a legit complaint.

Others were up in arms over banh mi Vietnamese sandwiches served with coleslaw instead of pickled vegetables, and on ciabatta bread, rather than the traditional French baguette.

“It was ridiculous,” gripes Diep Nguyen, a freshman who is a Vietnam native.

A good banh mi is only $2-3 in most China Towns, maybe they should have just ordered in? Or maybe spend 5 minutes and get a proper recipe. I dont have any fancy liberal arts terms for crappy food design, but it appears this food just sucks ass.

The Nevada-based Universal Society of Hinduism joined the food fight last week after students discovered that the traditional Indian dish, tandoori, contained beef.

“Consuming beef was considered sacrilegious among Hindus,” blasted society president Rajan Zed, the Chronical-Telegram reported.

Isn't it called Tandoori Chicken for a reason? Apparently not...
edit on 20-12-2015 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: boncho

interesting.
i didnt know a culture/ethnic class had patents on certain foods.
didnt know that dishes were not allowed to be modified or ingredients substituted.

i mean the horror of having cole slaw instead of a pickled veggie...
i cant believe it.
they should strike and form a walk out.

i think they should join the weather underground and bomb some # cause their food is not to their liking

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I don't think Oberlin students have a leg to stand on.

Many, if not most, Italian, Chinese, [insert your ethnic cuisine], pizza places do NOT serve authentic foods.
Many foods bear little resemblance to the authentic dishes if you were to go to a restaurant or street vendor in the specific country.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
I don't think Oberlin students have a leg to stand on.

Many, if not most, Italian, Chinese, [insert your ethnic cuisine], pizza places do NOT serve authentic foods.
Many foods bear little resemblance to the authentic dishes if you were to go to a restaurant or street vendor in the specific country.

youre right.
never thought about it that way. too focused on the hipster babies.

i love the japanese girl being offended cause the sushi rice was wrong..
that is seriously funny.

can you believe that the sushi in tiny hipster town oberlin is not the same fare as in down town osaka?
whoulda thought that

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

further - even if you do go to < insert country of choice > you will find people offering different varients of < insert dish > with all oth them claiming thiers is the " authentic " reciepie

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

plenty of decent quality food right there a stones throw away from the main campus square.

They are required to buy a meal plan as part of their attendance.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: TinySickTears

They are required to buy a meal plan as part of their attendance.

cool.
they bought a meal plan and they got a meal

you said they want what they pay for
how much are they paying? what are they supposed to get?

sounds like the school is trying to give them a good mix of # to eat and all they are doing is crying cause it is not perfect to the culture it is from.
offended over white rice?
she should take her whiney ass back to japan though. get some real white rice and shark fin soup. none of this nasty, disgusting american food that is not fit for pigs

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: boncho

engage pedantry :

" tandoori " is an oven

you can throw anything you want in a tandoori pot

the only concession i will grant - is that serving beef to hindus is disrespectfull - though the source doesnt say it was not labeled beef

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Well there is a perfectly good solution for this-make your own food!

A small tub of chunky gaspacho and dipping bread won't spoil in half a day. let us bow down to our downtown upmarket connoisseurs that frown upon a tabouleh with slightly more parsley that upsets their palette.

Food is food! if you are hungry you eat! Do lumberjacks complain when their can of beans has less beans than expected?

My father had a saying: "If you don't eat, you don't crap-and if you don't crap, you die." If it's edible and sustainable then eat it- So your beef black bean didn't have Honshu certified Waygu beef or your Thai noodle soup didn't have the right water chestnut to noodle ratio. If you are hungry you will eat and if you don't like what's being served then starve. Simple.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: boncho

The Tadoor is the over in which it is cooked - one can have Tandoori Chicken, Lamb, or even Prawns.. Personally, whenever I order a take out from an Indian, I go for the Tandoori mixed grill, you get all the meats

As for the OP - I could understand if they were complaining about the quality of the food they are paying for, after all they have the right to complain if it is substandard.

However, it seems the kids have had some lessons at college and have learnt some fancy new words and feel like they know what they're talking about, henceforth the ridiculous claims of "cultural appropriation" for undercooked rice.

I am surprised they are complaining the Chicken is steamed and not fried - I would have thought beardy hipsters would want the healthier steamed chicken, no?

Anyway, it seems to be a bunch of pretentious youngsters making a noise simply because they can.

As for the poster commenting on these types wanting to "express their individuality" by dressing the same as their mates, I couldn't agree more. When I was at College, my best mate and some other buds were into the "alternative" scene (whatever the fook that means) and strived to be "an individual" and express the fact they don't follow the "mainstream"...

What did they do?

Dress like every other douche with baggy jeans, hoodies, piercings and chains..

When I pointed out they were actually following a group, rather than being individual, they simply didn't get it, even though all three of them were wearing identical outfits. It was like a uniform! Ironically, as I refused to bow to peer pressure and follow them, I was actually the only one in our group who did dress as an "individual".

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   

In reality, no one gives a crap what goes on at a college, ever, but since it fits into your wacky political spectrum you'll pretend you care for flags and stars.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   
These poor children would have starved on my diet in school.
Peanut butter and jelly or bologna sandwiches every day.
With chips, an apple and maybe a Reese's cup if I was really lucky.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Just imagine the lawsuits filed if they had eaten the pudding with the metal lid.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   

I have to know ... what do you think kids would do with Michelle Obama's school lunch program as presented in many schools?

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   

PS, Tandoori refers to a style of preparation, not a singular dish.

A Tandoor is a type of oven. So you can indeed cook beef in it as easily as you can chicken or pork. It's not like the menu probably said tandoori and then had beef in it where everyone expected chicken like a menu would have hamburger and everyone assumes beef.

I've seen menus for local Indian restaurants that feature Tandoori chicken, beef and pork.

It's also rather narrow minded to assume that every Indian dish would be prepared exclusively for Hindu Indians. India has sizeable Muslim populations who have no trouble eating beef.

I'm surprised they didn't lodge a complaint that they were calling something Tandoori that wasn't cooked in an actual tandoor.

edit on 20-12-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join