It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vladimir Putin Signs Law Allowing Russia To Overthrow Human Rights Court Verdicts

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t
Just clear up what appears to be some confusion among a couple of posters. The ECHR is not part the EU. It is based on the European convention on human rights not EU law which is why it applies to Russia.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

Thanks for that clarification there. I was wondering where the bit about the EU was coming from myself.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech
a reply to: Sparkymedic

It's not EU it's European, there's a difference. Russia is not part of the EU but is one of the 48 member states of Europe, meaning they have signed inclusion and therefore do fall under the ECHR, however this new law like sosobad has mentioned is no different to laws already in place for other member states

You beat me to it. (see my prev post)

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Thanks for that clarification there. I was wondering where the bit about the EU was coming from myself.

In fairness a lot of people get confused between the European court of justice which is EU and the ECHR.

(post by benwyatt removed for a manners violation)

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: benwyatt

Got anything to add to the thread besides your ad hominem about me?

PS: I'm a veteran. I've already put my money where my mouth was while in Iraq the last time we were there.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Thanks, I wasn't aware that Russia was a member of the intergovernmental oginization known as the Council of Europe, who runs the ECHR.

Still, consider the political atmosphere.

Not saying it's a good move, but still...things aren't exactly being made easy on Russia lately. Meanwhile American hegemony still reigns and they are seemingly immune to anything regarding human rights abuses.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Why would Russia or any sovereign nation listen to the ravings of some foreign kangaroo court? Putin is right to ignore these fools. Mind your own business.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Ignoring human rights violations is the right thing to do?

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   

I really feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone with this thread. Russia passes a law that punishes victims of human rights crimes and everyone celebrates it as Russia retaining its autonomy. Yet, I'm pretty sure a bunch of these same people constantly demand we go blow up ISIS because of their own slew of human rights violations.

We blow up Isis because of their credible threat to our own population. We don't or at least shouldn't police the world. I think you feel you are in the twilight zone because you are so out of touch with everyone else.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Says the guy who just got done rationalizing policing ISIS then immediately afterwards said we don't exist to police the world...

PS: ISIS doesn't pose ANY risk to America. There is literally 0 chance that ISIS could ever overtake America politically or militarily. To believe otherwise is just allowing yourself to be swept up in the fear rhetoric.
edit on 15-12-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Ignoring human rights violations is the right thing to do?

Ignoring international "courts" is the right thing to do.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   

So because the courts say they are human rights, that means they aren't really human rights?

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Russia is part of the Council of Europe and has been since 1996 and the European Convention on Human Rights is part of that. Periodically they open protocols for amendments and signatures. Russia has signed on to some of them and has not signed on to others.

Don't sign treaties you don't intend to honor.

But, by the same token, when Saudi Arabia is appointed head of the Human Right's Council in the UN, it just goes to show you that things can become very weird very quickly when you put your signature on something allowing others to have partial control over your affairs.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Russia is within its right to do this. The US has the exact same setup albeit from a supreme court ruling instead of a law. The head money case resulted in a ruling that clarified foreign treaties and their relationship to the constitution. It made them subordinate to the constitution while incorporating them into the US federal body of law. This allows congress to make changes and the courts to have jurisdiction. It allows citizens to have standing in court if they are affected.

With that said we need to watch what rulings they ignore and go from there. Just as is done with the US and its actions.
edit on 15-12-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
With that said we need to watch what rulings they ignore and go from there.

Yes, we should. It is very concerning to me since Russia tends to rate lower in the international corruption index than the US does.

In that link I just provided, the US is tied for 17th and Russia is all the way down at 136.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
Ignoring international "courts" is the right thing to do.

Sometimes I ask myself can people really be so ignorant and selfish?!

Ignoring international court is very bad, and might be bad for everyone, where countries that do ignore them, tend to abuse human rights to the point of genocide, which just mere 20 years ago was supported by Russia and performed by Russia's little bro, Serbia on Balkans.

This is not to mention Russian occupation and destruction of Chechnya and current occupation and support for separation of territories of Ukraine. No wonder rest of countries in area are already worried about possible other moves from Russia.

But I guess in your opinion everything is dandy until they don't try to occupy your backyard, right? Nothing to worry...

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   

ANOTHER BOTTOM LINE!:

You only have the rights you can defend.

I think it is time everyone took their rights back from out of control "authorities"

I will keep my rights, all the way into the next world, like a man.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Good! Can we in the UK do the same thing. Human rights has become more of a twisted tool to aid the perpetrators of crime and terrorism.

Time to abolish this horrid law worldwide. Create a new human rights act that protects the victims of crime and doesn't kick them when they're down.
edit on 15-12-2015 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: benwyatt

Are you planning on ever addressing the topic in a rational way?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join