It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stopping Terrorist Attacks - a purely political problem

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Jerry Falwell jr. created a stir by saying " I've always thought that if more good people had concealed carry-permits we could have ended those Muslims before they came in and killed them".

It was said crudely and could have been worded better but the substance of his comment holds true; if there were people with concealed weapons lives may have been saved in San Bernardino. This applies to terrorist attacks anywhere; if the citizens who are the ones coming in to contact with terrorists have guns then not only can lives be saved but it would eliminate "soft targets" which is a nice name for human shooting galleries - anyplace large numbers of civilians will be but guns are banned.

I think you've probably surmised the political aspect of armed civilians being the problem. Rural areas have little problem with the idea but the closer you go towards cities and suburbs the more resistance there is to concealed carry, or even allowing handguns for citizens.

Let's face it - terrorists rarely if ever attack heavily armed targets like police stations or military bases but favor attacking the average person who is unprepared to respond. An armed citizenry is the only way to make terrorist attacks stop.

Israel has been living with the threat of attack for decades. Their people carry weapons and attacks are rare and often stopped before serious damage is done, there's no reason the United States cannot train it's own people to defend themselves.

It is our RIGHT not to mention our DUTY.

The only thing terrorist attacks prove is how little governments care for their own people. Politicians, the wealthy and public figures all have armed bodyguards - why is it "We the people" are not allowed the same level of protection? Nothing points out the inequality and hypocrisy of our society more than the bloviating politicians who tell everyone how bad guns are while surrounded by armed guards 24/7.

So anti-gunners, do you think the police can protect you?
Would you deny yourself and others the right to defend themselves?
Concealed carry can make us all safer.
It's all a matter of competent training, just ask any Israeli.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I fail to see the point of this, other than a 2nd dick swinging but if you REALLY want to talk about terrorism, my thoughts have been clear. Stop creating them. Get out of the ME.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
I fail to see the point of this, other than a 2nd dick swinging but if you REALLY want to talk about terrorism, my thoughts have been clear. Stop creating them. Get out of the ME.

While you are completely correct that our actions in the ME have created the mess we are in today, we really had little control over that as regular citizens.

So not only do we need to change our foreign policy, we need to allow the people to exercise their right to protect themselves, if and when the consequences of that failed policy comes to our communities.
edit on 12-12-2015 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals
I've noticed that most mass shootings have been in gun free zones. I've given up trying to tell anti 2nd amendment people that though because they will not hear it. Anywho, good luck on the thread. I hope you're wearing fireproof undies because I have a bad feeling that you're going to get flamed.
ETA: I found this video for you. You might find it of interest.

edit on 12-12-2015 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Politicians, the wealthy and public figures all have armed bodyguards - why is it "We the people" are not allowed the same level of protection?

They see the people (and each other) as more of a threat than them terrs. They don't even move in the same circles we do, whisked by limos, jets and helicopters from iron gated fortress to iron gated fortress. Their living spaces and business palaces are far removed from normal society. Regular people pose little direct threat unless we are talking about organized resistance, overall.

I hope they lie asleep at night worrying about that. As long as the people at large are armed, they will.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I grew up in Lynchburg so I knew Jerry Sr. well and mostly disagreed with just about everything he said. His son is a different animal altogether and he's offering concealed carry classes on campus. I live about 2 miles from campus and see kids from Liberty everyday. Yes, I trust them to act like competent adults and exercise their 2nd amendment rights. They're a good bunch of kids that come to Liberty. Crime is low to non-existent here despite 20,000 college kids .
People here carry and armed robberies and assaults have gone way down. This was a crazy place a few decades back but there has been a huge surge of conservative people moving to the area. I actually live in a really great town and a big part of that is due to Falwell's influence over the years.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Yeah terrorism is a political problem, and the sole means to prevent or at the very least mitigate is also a political problem.

One could call it a conundrum. Everyone knows terrorism exists because of the snip our government does. The Founding Fathers in their infinite wisdom set forth in stone. A means of protection from the Federal State having it's head up it's rear, and ANY would be aggressor both foreign and domestic.

The second was the swiss army knife of tools for the American people, and people need to face the FACTs.

Neither the police, or the Federal State is going to protect you or even save you.

The only thing cops do is clean up after the mess.

The only thing our government does is take more freedoms from us.

And in my opinion anyone who doesn't get the meaning of the second.

IS a terrorist using a weapon of mass destruction called the US government.

Some say our second is why the Japanese NEVER invade the conus.

Think about it.

Because behind every blade of grass was a trained marksman.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Politicians should live in fear of their people.
It helps keep them honest.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Yes, everyone knows that Liberty is a Christian college. They advertise it nationally. So your solution to the ME problem is to arm everyone there? With CCW? OK. I can't see any problem there.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Is too late for that, radicals are all over the world and in every country, waiting for the right moment.

We just have to learn no to become their victims when they get their call of whatever agenda they may have.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   
The next mass terror attack is currently Missouri (hope not). Everyone here has guns. If they open up in a Walmart they won't get very far. The public should be trained and if they refuse to carry then good luck to them. You can't bring a complaint to a gun fight

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

Is too late for that, radicals are all over the world and in every country, waiting for the right moment.

We just have to learn no to become their victims when they get their call of whatever agenda they may have.

Oh, so sorry. You lose Marg. You've succumbed to fear. Thus the terrorists win. Doesn't anyone except the Italians get this?

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Is that why the anti G's are crying about terrorists on no fly lists getting guns ?

That's Fear.

People stepping up to protect themselves, and their own ?

That is the red badge of courage.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   
If Americans want to keep their "gun culture" (poor term but it gets the point across) you should make firearms safety courses mandatory in every high school to be refreshed every year. Only then may anyone wishing to CCW will have the knowledge and the skill to do so. Minimum age for CCW should be the same as legal age drinking for that state. Home schooled children could take a NRA or equivalent or state approved private course.

Guns don't kill people, idiots with guns kill people.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   

I have not lost anything intrepid, I still live my life to the fullest and I am has happy as I can be, life is too short, but I am not going to become a victim of some radicalized piece of crap because they want to show how stupid and retarded they are to their causes.

Every time a terrorist die killing innocent victims in the name of whatever agendas they have they are winning and we losing our friends, families and loves ones that get caught in the middle, if carrying a gun protect me at any given time so beat it, my husband carry his all the time.

That is a fact, intrepid.

edit on 12-12-2015 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Marg, we go back a LONG way. Reread that. Is that not fear?

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Kukri

If Americans want to keep their "gun culture" (poor term but it gets the point across) you should make firearms safety courses mandatory in every high school to be refreshed every year.

Alright then lets make people take speech safety courses mandatory.

Then after that make people take voting safety courses mandatory.

Since constitutional rights get to be defined by the mob without so much as an amenable reason.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Yes we come a long way, that is why I will refuse to argue my feelings about the present states of affairs in our nation when it comes to the issue of radicals running wild with you.

Fear comes in many forms and can be apply to many reasons.

The only fear I have is to be killed for some stupid reason related to radical religious views, when I don't even consider myself religious.

Beside that I take death regardless as it will come eventually, but life is too short let just no speed up the final possibility and outcome of living a full life.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   

I agree that it is a political problem, but I don't think guns are the solution.

terrorists are martyrs for their cause, hey have huge egos and like the attention that they get. They like the fear they generate.

Terrorist attack? We respond by shooting the coward (if it is still alive) in the head and leaving its stinking rotting corpse in public for anyone to spit on.

We have to terrorize the terrorists. We have to make the idea of attacking us unpalatable as possible.

Harsh retribution.
Disregard for their customs, rights.

We have to become cruel if we want to beat them.

There is a mindset in the ME that laughs at compromise and considers negotiation as weakness.

imho

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

Yes we come a long way, that is why I will refuse to argue my feelings about the present states of affairs in our nation when it comes to the issue of radicals running wild with you.

I'm sorry you feel that way. It's a telling thing about the state of the nation that OLD friends have come to this. Very sad.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join