It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are people so paranoid about guns

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye
a reply to: itsallintheegg

This is the reason.

SOURCE

GUN VIOLENCE ARCHIVE 2015 TOLL OF GUN VIOLENCE
Total Number of Incidents 49,501
Number of Deaths 12,532
Number of Injuries 25,302
Number of Children (age 0-11) Killed/Injured 656
Number of Teens (age 12-17) Killed/Injured 2,482
Mass Shooting 315
Officer Involved Incident 4,121
Home Invasion 2,136
Defensive Use 1,167
Accidental Shooting 1,791

I looked at the source and there are things I find suspect. For instance, the 'mass shootings' category. Any shooting involving more than one victim is considered a mass shooting. When you talk about mass shooting people generally consider something of a greater scale than two people in a robbery or gang related incident. The term Mass Shooting is used frivolously and is misleading.

The other thing I noticed about that source information is that one very important statistic is missing: the number of incidents involving illegally owned weapons compared to legally owned. In the absence of that information it is possible that not one legally owned weapon was involved in any of those incidents. I am not saying that was the case, only that it is possible. Perhaps the number is so low they decided to leave that information out, or never bothered to collect it in the first place as it might have undermined their motives.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I would like for this Christmas - from today until at least the first of the year, that no gun crime of any kind happens anywhere in the world. (I'm going to see how good I am...)

Maybe rainbows and incense flies out of my ass, too, but we'll see.

I have been associated with firearms all my life - coming from a military family, being in law enforcement, and owning and operating a gun shop. I've tried to promote the second amendment as well as the rest of them, but some people just don't seem to learn, can't learn, won' listen. Kids still shoot themselves or get shot and killed by guns left by idiots that passed a background check. BTW, most criminals take better care and responsibility for their weapons than law abiding people - not wanting the weapon to be discovered and confiscated. Go figure...

When I sold a gun, I would go over the rules and regulations, laws and common sense in handling a weapon with the purchaser. I took pride in selling a weapon to someone that was going to keep the 2nd and promote good gun handling. I also had people come in and try to buy pistols to "shoot their boyfriend" or people that would call me and try to buy explosives or parts to make their AR "full auto". I wondered if the ATF was testing me, sometimes.

All that was a few years ago and not too long after that, Killeen, Texas happened. I wondered then what went through the mind of someone who would pick up a weapon and shoot unarmed people just to kill them. I know there are drugs that will make a person loose inhibitions and morals for while the drug(s) are internally active. That was the only way at that time I could justify in my mind something like that happening.

These crazy actions of people shooting unarmed people seemed to snowball and I noticed that it all ways happened when there was anti-gun legislation pending in the senate or house. Hmm, says I, interesting. But, that would mean there is a logistics group that would create and execute these heinous crimes. I also kinda saw a pattern emerging between shootings and gun legislation.

Then recently, a friend of mine pointed out something I didn't know. Remember Aaron Alexis (not his real name, BTW) who shot up the "logistics group" in the Navy building in Washington? Allegedly, he was one of the so called shooters at Sandy Hook, the one of the two seen running away from the school. The one that got caught disappeared and that left Alexis to try to "rectify" his position. He bought a shotgun and the rest was history. My friend also pointed out that it was about 18 months before another shooting was created as this logistics group was re-established. Looks like they have come back with a vengeance.

I have to take this with a grain of salt because I just don't know. The more I research it scares me. I hate that I have friends in low places...
edit on 12-12-2015 by NightFlight because: Missing word

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: itsallintheegg

Maybe sites like these:
Trace.org

There's a thread by a fellow member with a link to see how many gun incidents have occurred near you in the past year.
Eye opening!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I agree with the above posters who feel it is NOT the weapon but, the HANDS of who is holding it...

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

Any shooting involving more than one victim is considered a mass shooting.

No, it's 4 victims, dead or wounded.

The other thing I noticed about that source information is that one very important statistic is missing: the number of incidents involving illegally owned weapons compared to legally owned.

I would like to see that too.

Btw. there is a news source to all incidents with more info, just click the numbers for a page with a breakdown and link.
edit on 12-12-2015 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   
The problem is more people die by gun in the U.S.than any other civillized society, and really IMO roughly 25% of you have no business having a gun..I figure about 25% of the population is stunned/ignorant/self centered..those people are not responsible enough, far too often they are treated as cool toys..they are in a way but somehow the danger/respect element is forgotten. Way too many accidental deaths/kids die each year..I guess though it's always someone elses kid.
Alot of people are tired of it..it is a "people problem"

Im for better/mandatory safety training, better storage rules..not sure what more makes sense or is doable at this point.
edit on 12-12-2015 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Any shooting involving more than one victim is considered a mass shooting.

No, it's 4 victims, dead or wounded.

The other thing I noticed about that source information is that one very important statistic is missing: the number of incidents involving illegally owned weapons compared to legally owned.

I would like to see that too.

Btw. there is a news source to all incidents with more info, just click the numbers for a page with a breakdown and link.

I stand corrected, it is four not two.

I looked at a few of the incidents and they were typical run of the mill gang stuff or robbery and such. It is kind of misleading in light of current events to use the phrase mass shooting. I hear that and think of France or something similar.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   

I agree, but it's hard to put a number on what qualifies as a mass shooting.

Here is a video example from today of a shooting in march 2015, is this a mass shooting or just youth being stupid.

LIVE LEAK

Albuquerque, NM - Albuquerque Police have released a high-profile witness video of a deadly skate park shooting, but it’s unclear if its release will help police or family members answer many linger questions surrounding the case.

The video, which was recorded cell phone and spans about 3 and half minutes, captures a fight leading up to a shooting that took place at the Los Altos Skate Park on March 22, 2015. Six people were wounded in the shooting and 17-year old Jaquise Lewis was killed.
Read more at www.liveleak.com...

edit on 12-12-2015 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Myself and 5 other guys had a direct hand in the deaths of over 400 people within a month.

Murder is murder whether it's government sanctioned or not.

We live by the examples we see our rulers set.

This is where the fixing must begin.

There is no honor in war.

Sales pitch failed on me.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   

I agree, but it's hard to put a number on what qualifies as a mass shooting.

Here is a video example from today, is this a mass shooting or just youth being stupid.

LIVE LEAK

If it were up to me I would not call that a mass shooting. Mass shooting IMO is something that seems planned, designed to inflict as many deaths and injuries as possible. This is some thugs who got out of control. Yes, there were several victims, but it wasn't planned in advance or designed to injure or kill as many as possible. It is just an unfortunate incident where some thugs with illegally possessed weapons got out of control.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   

I agree, to some point.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   

The only reason anyone was in danger there was because the majority were law abiding citizens who didn't unlawfully pack a gun.

A skateboard across the neck from behind would have put a stop to the spineless criminal who failed to exercise any impulse control there.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: MyHappyDogShiner

The only reason anyone was in danger there was because the majority were law abiding citizens who didn't unlawfully pack a gun.

A skateboard across the neck from behind would have put a stop to the spineless criminal who failed to exercise any impulse control there.

If you bring a skateboard to a gun fight, you better be real good on that board...

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
No one is coming for your guns!

How do you shut down a 6 billion dollar industry in the US. That's billion with a B.

all this...."dey comin for mine guns" is total BS. Right Wing Conservative BS

It's BS conspiracy theory is it? Then why is Obama trying to ban assault rifles? Obama AR Ban

The Obama administration has maintained that strengthening background checks, banning semi-automatic rifles deemed “assault rifles” and revoking the Second Amendment rights of people on the “no-fly” list could prevent dangerous people from getting guns.

Funny thing is the anti gun folks don't even know what a assault rifle is! Many think assault rifles are fully automatic which are illegal in the US. [9][10][11] Some jurisdictions define revolving cylinder shotguns as assault weapons.[12][13] Legislative definitions do not include fully automatic weapons, which are regulated separately as Title II weapons under federal law.[14][9][n 1] A key defining law was the now-defunct Federal Assault Weapons Ban of 1994.[14] At that time, the United States Department of Justice said, "In general, assault weapons are semiautomatic firearms with a large magazine of ammunition that were designed and configured for rapid fire and combat use.]Wikipedia defines AR

This would basically include almost all guns! Most handguns would be included as well per the above referenced definition.

Interestingly all the non sense Obama is trying to do regarding gun control wouldn't even have stopped the SB shooting.

Hypothetically is there ever was a ban of assault rifles 1. the authorities would have a tough time forcing AR owners to turn them over, 2. The bad guys and cops would be the only ones with them!

A majority of gun deaths are not even from assault rifles anyway!

Obama is coming for our guns! He may not be successful but he will try!

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: MyHappyDogShiner

I just don't quite understand how our species can be around for as long as it has and remain so incredibly stupid.

TV

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: sirlancelot

Is it just Obama? How many times so you see progressives or liberals stand up and fight for the 2nd Admendment? If they could they would get rid of it, but they know they cannot so they will subvert it anyway they can.
edit on 12-12-2015 by joemoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I really do not think the numbers are there. Obama wants to say the vast majority of America wants gun control and its a small group buying 100 million in a short time. I beg to differ, and I think it is more area driven as to who might have guns or not. Where I live the gun people well out number the none gun people and my area has a lot of progressives. Even my neighbor who are British will say they do not like guns be he has a little .32 snub nose for home defense. So people range from no guns (small group) to some guns (very large group) to all you want (medium group). I see it as if I'm mowing my large lawn I can do it with a $100 push lawn mower or a $5000 riding lawn mower to do the job, just as I can try and hit someone coming into my house 30 feet away with .32 snub nose (good luck) or shoot them with a full size Glock, or even a M4 with aim point sights, what works best for the job.

The paranoia is pure propaganda driven and of course no matter how small that group might be it will always try and have the loudest voice to make people think they are huge. Every time Obama opens his mouth on this 100 million guns get sold and it isn't 1 million people buying 100 guns each it is like 100 million buying either another gun or their first gun.

edit on 12-12-2015 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel

If you bring a skateboard to a gun fight, you better be real good on that board...

originally posted by: MyHappyDogShiner

Skateboard is a very common weapon in Portland with the homeless young people with their 200 bucks skate board and IPhone 6. They can kill you with it quite easily, but as you say I'm not sure it will stand up against a 380 with hollow points.

edit on 12-12-2015 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Just replace the word gun with coc aine or heroin and you will understand the debate better.

Donald Trump and the NRA are right to point out the problem of mental illness in American society.

Being addicted to guns is a serious illness.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: ispyed
Just replace the word gun with coc aine or heroin and you will understand the debate better.

Donald Trump and the NRA are right to point out the problem of mental illness in American society.

Being addicted to guns is a serious illness.

I think killing addiction is worst. I really do not want to kill anyone so I guess I'm good on that.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: itsallintheegg
Why are people so paranoid about guns

Because they kill people ....

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join