It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harrison Ford hits out at global inaction on climate change, warns of 'disastrous' consequences

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I can understand your position network dude.

Of all the options available, letting humanity perish through its own collective beef headed nature seems the most reasonable. Why pass that on to other worlds, right?

Wrong. That option seems best because of all the available options it requires no change, no effort. Entropy demands that the human race eventually collapse in on itself and consume itself, or be merely brushed aside by something from deep in the unknowable depths of the cosmos, be it cometary, or some massive blast of energy, or the collision of our galaxy with the next nearest galaxy.

But entropy also demanded that rain, winds, searing sun, bacteria and viruses, predators and lord knows how many other natural processes would see us wither and die as a species, long before we ever attained sentience, as happened to many other species out there. This species defines itself by mitigating for entropic effects. Entropy demands all complicated things reach a simpler state over time, and I know of few things more complicated and perplexing than humanity, both on the individual and the wider scale.

The simple fact of the matter is, that we can be better, because we need to be. We can change our ways, because we need to, we can learn to work together because we need to, because pretty soon the illusion of choice will evaporate. We can, and we must, because a species which can do battle with forces meant to reduce all complexity to banality can achieve anything, and if we can achieve the unity necessary to spread ourselves across the universe, then we damned well should, because in the doing of it, we will undoubtedly solve the problems which would otherwise make that spread a terrifying prospect for the rest of the universe.

We won't make it to the edge of the solar system without it. I say we try, and learn about ourselves along the way. Imagine you are on an ocean so vast, that the idea of any other land than the one you stand on, seems absurd to you. Imagine that whole island is on fire, right now. Do you throw yourself into the flames in certainty of doom, or build a rough raft, and row for the horizon?

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   

He's a former carpenter turned actor.

If Freeman Dyson, the physicist, wasn't qualified enough to render his opinion on the issue, then no one should give Harrison Ford's opinion two look-sees.

edit on 10-12-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
About 10 years back I was sitting in the booth adjacent to him and Calista Flockhardt at The Palm IN L.A.
They were enjoying the delicious flame-grilled CO2-producing steaks...along with everyone else.

I stepped out front for a smoke...and was starting to go back in, just as they were leaving (I even held the door for them...received no "Thank You").

At the curb, a big ol' gass-guzzling limo pulled up to take 'em away.

Do as I say...not as I do.

Yeah they want us poor suckers to eat dirt while they live the high life

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Harrison Ford is a hollywood celebrity. That makes him an expert on everything.

Why else do you think politicians use celebrities to push administration policies? If there is anybody you should trust on foreign policy, it's people like Harrison Ford and Jack Black.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

So we should ignore Ford because he's not a climate scientist? I can understand that. But then why should we ignore the majority of climate scientists whose research jives with what Ford is saying?

We should ignore Ford because he's talking out his ass for the same reason those scientists *were* (the sham is coming unraveled, in case you hadn't noticed) : They're all making money off of it. I see little difference between the climate change fear mongering done by those with a direct financial tie-in to whether or not the claims are believed and all of the conspiracy minded radio hosts who push the collapse of the US Dollar story while selling big money advertising space to gold and silver salehouses.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
Harrison Ford is a good man. When you have a position of power and a voice through the media, you should take a stand for what you believe in.

Let us not forget that almost every scientist in the world has come to the conclusion through studying the data, that man is causing global warming at an accelerated rate, irregardless of any natural cycle we may be going through.

Also, if you lived in Vegas over the summer, you wouldn't be saying things like, a little warming never hurt anyone. LOL Wow.

Also, I saw someone post that you don't just wake up and it's 180 degrees...but that's not quite right.. The Heat index in IRAN, I believe it was, was up to 164 degrees last summer, people died and were hospitalized.

Now is the time to take action. (I don't say this because I want a damn carbon tax-so please don't reply with that nonsense)

You say there is a debate? Then follow the money...follow the money right back to the big fossil fuel companies that run this planet. There's your debate.

It's funny, If someone on the "I am not ready to just believe that man is the driving factor in the climate" camp, and they said something like, well, it's been significantly colder in the South Eastern US for the past few winters, we woudl be told how ignorant we are and that's weather, not climate. But if someone who buys into "it's all man's fault" camp says something like "The Heat index in IRAN, I believe it was, was up to 164 degrees last summer", then that's different.

it's not, but it does make me smile.

How much of a factor is the sun in the climate models? How much of a factor are solar winds? How are the oceans changes affecting the output of the climate models? What impact has the changes that humanity has already made have on the climate models? (Just so you know, people way smarter than I am have many more questions like those that don't seem to be included in all the modeling, since they aren't really understood all by themselves yet)

It's cool that you jumped on the AGW bandwagon. It's a popular one. All the cool kids are doing it. And you may be right. But in my stupidity, I think of things like "the Earth is over 4 billion years old, and we have only collected real data on about 200 years of it, is that enough to say I fully understand the other 4 billion years? likely not". So while I am probably wrong, I do enjoy the realty that my wonder in all this won't affect the planet on tiny little bit. Not even a toe hair. So I'll wait, watch, try to learn a few things, and see what happens in a few years.

Remember, the Atlantic ocean has been rising at a steady rate for over 30,000 years. (I saw that on a cool show about NC's coast line and the idiots who built houses a few feet from the water) so, long before we fired up the first SUV, things were changing. So we will just have to wait and see what the Earth is going to do.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Who exactly is making money, do you have some knowledge about that, please present it for us....

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Not to bring up the point but his old plane uses LEADED GAS!!!

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   

If you ever saw the episode of South Park where everyone got a Prius and they were all smug and thought their own farts smelled wonderful, that's how I see the AGW crowd. I know it's not fair, but that is the mental picture I get. And I am likely to be wrong in my thinking, but I want so badly to at least not have the smug folks be right. It's petty and childish, but it's what drives me to reject the status quo.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

See, I ate lunch and came back happier. Now I think we might be alright to last as a species. That is if we can ever stop fighting for stupid reasons and being so damn greedy.

BTW, I hope things are looking up for you after your rough patch. You are too good of a man to be treated poorly.
edit on 10-12-2015 by network dude because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   

They do tend to come off like a bunch of Christians who wear their faith on their sleeve and love to tell you all about how they have a Christian cable company and a Christian telephone company and a Christian insurance company ... and tell you all about how you should do this, that and the other because it's so righteous way to live (not moral inside just outside for others to see) ... and they always have the icthus fish on their bumper and wear a cross and always have some kind of t-shirt with a pithy religious slogan along with their WWJD bracelet because they always have to show you how very religious they are instead of just being content to be that way.

Now replace all that stuff with green or enviro version and keep the attitude and you about have it right ...

And they irritate me and I'm even a Christian.

edit on 10-12-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

If you ever saw the episode of South Park where everyone got a Prius and they were all smug and thought their own farts smelled wonderful, that's how I see the AGW crowd. I know it's not fair, but that is the mental picture I get. And I am likely to be wrong in my thinking, but I want so badly to at least not have the smug folks be right. It's petty and childish, but it's what drives me to reject the status quo.

I love that episode and south park in general. They definitely make fun of the AGW crowd, although most of that crowd probably wouldn't understand some of the shows underlying meanings anyways.

Like Al Gore with ManBearPig which is really just a reference to global warming.

If governments, celebrities, environmental organizations, and climate scientists actually wanted to combat climate change here and now they would talk about livestock agriculture. Since they don't, it's pretty obvious they either don't believe in AGW, or simply don't care about the environment.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Anosognosia

They wouldn't all live on the coasts they continually tell us are going to be catastrophically inundated like this:

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Anosognosia

They wouldn't all live on the coasts they continually tell us are going to be catastrophically inundated like this:

What's funny about that movie is they kind of disprove man's involvement (at least in the plot of the movie) at the beginning, although you have to think about it to understand.

(the whooly mammoth that was frozen instantly with food still in his belly) If the same thing happened a million years back, how did man affect it then?

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   

we don't need to colonize other celestial bodies, we need to let nature take it's course and eliminate the nastiness that is "humanity".

And what you really mean by that is everyone but you and those you deem worthy of living. Oi vey!

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   

It's amazing what a little basic nourishment does for the soul, isn't it?

As for the rough times... Well it is going to be a bit of a spartan Christmas, but at least my kid will be getting a gift from me. I think everyone else I know will appreciate the reason that they will not be receiving the regulation bottle of booze and a card signed with blobs of errant rum.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk

we don't need to colonize other celestial bodies, we need to let nature take it's course and eliminate the nastiness that is "humanity".

And what you really mean by that is everyone but you and those you deem worthy of living. Oi vey!

Good lord no! I'll be gone long before the Earth purges us from it's plane. Unless AGW kills us all in the next few years.

LOOK OUT! OVER THERE!! IT'S.......IT'S.......GLOBAL WARMING!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   

It's a good thing you know that the season is about much more than stuff. Be well, brother.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Our Christmases are always rough times, so I sympathize.

I think in some ways it's better that we (our family) can't, and therefore don't, get to indulge in an orgy of consumerism though. This way, we don't start to expect what we may not be able to have in another year. We have each other, and we enjoy that.
It also lets us focus on why the season exists (at least for the faithful) in the first place.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

I have heard Harrison Ford being intervieiwd in the past and he doesn't strike me as particularly smart. He should stick to acting, although, for all we know he is being given his "lines" when it comes to climate change and he is just acting the script he was given.

lol indeed, and that counts for 99% of all actors
Once you enter, they won't let you out.

sry couldn't resist

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join