It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

JebBush.com redirects to DonaldTrump.com

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

What if another person named Jeb Bush controlled the domain. That person could do as they wish with it.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

What if another person named Jeb Bush controlled the domain. That person could do as they wish with it.

They could, and I would see no issue there. But that's not what's happening here.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

They could, and I would see no issue there. But that's not what's happening here.

How do you know that? i will admit it is probably not the case though.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Seems real Jeb Bush would have had savvy enough campaign folks to cover this, especially in light of massive financial backing that his run has.

Faux Paux on them.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable

originally posted by: Blackmarketeer
You'd think politicians would grasp the concept of buying every version of their name possible, to keep this from happening. You're running for president, you're a Bush, an ex-gov, but someone else comes along and registers your name. Jeebus Jeb.

^^^THIS^^^

This was my point, Jeb is a complete moron for overlooking this. It's not like this is some exotic permutation of his name. For God's sake, that's his name.

I'm not sure which way to go here. It shows the domain was created in 1997, Jeb may not have ever had an opportunity to buy it. On the other hand, he's had quite a few other web related issues with his campaign so they might just not have anyone technically savvy enough to know better. Regardless of the reason why, do you think it's right that people can impersonate him, and in this case cause him a financial loss, completely legally for something that was potentially beyond his control?

I never said it was right. It's just a case where someone who is already trailing by @ 25 points in polls is sent to his arch nemesis who is already leading. It's an unfortunate circumstance for someone who is already in dire straits. To the layman without technical knowledge it appears to be a half-ass campaign.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   

How do you know that? i will admit it is probably not the case though.

Because the domain is owned by a corporation in Australia, not by someone named Jeb Bush.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 11:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blackmarketeer
You'd think politicians would grasp the concept of buying every version of their name possible, to keep this from happening. You're running for president, you're a Bush, an ex-gov, but someone else comes along and registers your name. Jeebus Jeb.

^^^THIS^^^

This was my point, Jeb is a complete moron for overlooking this. It's not like this is some exotic permutation of his name. For God's sake, that's his name.

I'm not sure which way to go here. It shows the domain was created in 1997, Jeb may not have ever had an opportunity to buy it. On the other hand, he's had quite a few other web related issues with his campaign so they might just not have anyone technically savvy enough to know better. Regardless of the reason why, do you think it's right that people can impersonate him, and in this case cause him a financial loss, completely legally for something that was potentially beyond his control?

I never said it was right. It's just a case where someone who is already trailing by @ 25 points in polls is sent to his arch nemesis who is already leading. It's an unfortunate circumstance for someone who is already in dire straits. To the layman without technical knowledge it appears to be a half-ass campaign.

Well, he said he could think of 50 things that would be cooler than running for POTUS.

I suggest he goes and does all 50. What a self righteous ahole.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   
www.tedcruz.com
edit on 7-12-2015 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 12:52 AM
link   
This isnt a domain name rights issue. The domain system works pretty good.

But Jeb made a mistake. The same mistake Paul Rand made too.

The mistake is, someone can own your name, and if you are a public figure, you best get control of it.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Jeb Bush's lawyer's should send a cease and desist letter or offer to buy at a reasonable price. Jeb Bush .com should belong to Jeb bush or no one.

I used to mess around with buying domain names cheaply. Sometimes I would get a cease and desist letter - as in the case of amex-card.com In that case I transferred it to a Canadian private buyer. Haven't checked it, and similar ones I had like that, others may still be playing tag with them.

I did sell some domain names for a good amount of money, during the 'rush'. You have to show traffic first, they aren;t an automatic sell.

In the case of it being someone's name, I don't think that is legal. The Jebbush.com owners will have a problem, eventually.

It is still a good way to make a buck, if you are creative. I would not ever use someone's actual name, though.
edit on 8-12-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)
You do own your name.
edit on 8-12-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 02:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: smirkley
This isnt a domain name rights issue. The domain system works pretty good.

But Jeb made a mistake. The same mistake Paul Rand made too.

The mistake is, someone can own your name, and if you are a public figure, you best get control of it.

NOT correct. No one can own your name as a domain name. These people will lose in court if challenged.

Though I agree, Jeb's people should have handled this long ago.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 03:33 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

While I dont necessarily disagree with you, you will find that names can be owned by another party.

Not new to domains either.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra
I did sell some domain names for a good amount of money, during the 'rush'. You have to show traffic first, they aren;t an automatic sell.

In the case of it being someone's name, I don't think that is legal. The Jebbush.com owners will have a problem, eventually.

It's completely legal, cease and desists are just to scare you into complying. It's property you bought and someone with that name can't make you give it up.

This is why I said above that we need to revamp the system. You can't do that with non digital items.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join