It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I seem to drink a lot....

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   
If you have to ask or question your self.. then yes it is to much..

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   
If you think you might have a problem....then you might have a problem....

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: lavatrance

To me it doesn't sound bad, but that's the opinion of an alcoholic. Soo maybe don't listen to me.

here's a good test, don't drink for the next few weeks. Live your life. You'll be able to tell if you have a problem cause you'll end up drinking instead of being sober if you do.

Alcohol is a sneaky one.
edit on 5-12-2015 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   

What are your thoughts?

Well since you asked I'll give you my cents worth...(not worth much!)
Are you lying about your drinking?
For example: Have you ever gone and bought massive amounts of alcohol under the guise of "taste testing" different wines before the gathering?
Just kidding really!

Here is a test.
National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence

I am certainly not advocating this particular test but, it may be a starting place for you. If your drinking concerns YOU AND those you love then possibly it IS a problem for YOU...other people (friends, family, ATS members, general public) may not have the same problem...

BTW:

The results of this self-test are not intended to constitute a diagnosis of alcoholism and should be used solely as a guide to understanding your alcohol use and the potential health issues involved with it. The information provided here cannot substitute for a full evaluation by a health professional.

Good luck! I have massive amounts (unfortunately) of experience with alcoholics and addictions so I mean "Good luck" sincerely.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   
My brother died in April aged 50 due to alcohol. Turned out he had been self-medicating depression secretly for years. Ironically his wife eventually persuaded him to see a doctor two weeks before he died in intensive care (he was very stubborn).

It made me realise how many people use alcohol to self-medicate stress on a regular basis eg a glass of wine as soon as you arrive home from work. When it stops being a choice it becomes an addiction.

edit on 5-12-2015 by deliberator because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Iamnotadoctor

yes.

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

Not a reliable test. There are some who are binge drinkers. They go for weeks or months at a time and then........BOOM. They go on a 3 day bender, destroying everything they touch. Relationships, legal problems, nothing is safe.

Oooh la- yeah you're talking about serious problems!!
I'm not able to even comment on such sort of drinking... I only meant to respond in case it was a person with more reasonable behaviors just being overly cautious.

I guess if one is American, the very concept of what is "reasonable" is different from what I've gotten used to. Here it is very badly seen to get inebriated. There is no concept of acceptable weekend "letting go" or anything.
On one hand, I argue with people here that that doesn't mean anything and is not a good way to determine who is an alcoholic or not.
The alcoholics have a higher tolerance built up and can drink heavily at a party without showing signs of being drunk.
Regardless, if you are seen slurring or acting buzzed, the word will go around that you are an alcoholic immediately.

The only good thing about this is that it does make one consider the possibility of a problem earlier than in the culture where it is acceptable to drink a glass after work each day, or get wasted at a party.

edit on 5-12-2015 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   

You cant compare yourself to bigger or smaller people, or heavy drinkers, non-drinkers...there's no way to compare precisely to you, your habits, weight, issues etc.

I suggest to you, if its bothering you and you think you are drinking too much...at least for you...then you have an issue with yourself. Otherwise, you wouldnt be here asking...!!!

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Maybe what I'll do is just switch to wine. My understanding is it's far better for you. ...then beer....then lastly drink hard liquor. And try and drink hard liquor a lot less often. That's probably a safe means to mitigate the problem without going cold turkey which I know I won't be able to do anyway.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Real brewed ale is very good for you.
Liquid bread.
But coming not from the greatest island in the world you will not be used to booze.
It is in our DNA the fact we here can ingest so much...comes from the fact we brewed our water instead of boiling it to make it safe.
I have seen many alcoholics in my time running pubs, spirits are worse.
I knew one old boy who went through 2 x 2 litre bottles just at my pub a week...thats around 80 shots I think.
Oh and yes he died at 55.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 05:08 AM
link   
I may have a problem. I've been drinking all night. Tomorrow is Sunday, I guess it's today now, and I won't be able to buy alcohol until noon. No distilled spirits. Just beer and wine.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 05:11 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

When I ran pubs I would be on 20 pints a day testing the ale of course.
I did worry when I left I would want to continue drinking that amount but It has never bothered me i never have thought I need a drink apart from just after a bad day at work.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Further to what I said earlier in this thread... ... I'm going to try this time. The last few days have been horrendous. I need a hobby, something constructive to take my mind off it. Like building ships from matches.

I seriously can't go on like this - A Christmas without booze would be amazing. But also impossible I fear.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I'm having a bottle of wine every night.

Yeah I may be drinking too much too

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
Further to what I said earlier in this thread... ... I'm going to try this time. The last few days have been horrendous. I need a hobby, something constructive to take my mind off it. Like building ships from matches.

I seriously can't go on like this - A Christmas without booze would be amazing. But also impossible I fear.

I find certain activities and certain foods leans the mind towards drink. If this is true for you as well, try to avoid these activities and foods.

Don't allow yourself to get caught up in the too much idle time trap. If you have too much free time, give some of it away.

There are hundreds of local community organizations looking for volunteers. You like to build things? How about Habitat for Humanity? They are always looking for volunteers, and you don't even have to be pro at construction, you learn along the way. You don't have to be strong or very mobile. There are a lot of little jobs that need to be done like, sanding and staining, or passing out water and sandwiches.

Try the United Way website. Join and they will send you volunteer alerts for local events. They are pretty good, I joined and kind of forget about it until I got an alert with a request. I decided why not and I had an absolute ball helping out at a fair given by Autism Speaks. My other community activities keep me pretty busy, but I still get an occasional alert that I can't pass up. Oh, the added bonus is that you get to attend the events free, and you get to rub elbows with the movers and shakers in your community. So you have a good chance at actually getting your opinions to those that might make a difference.

Now for the next two they many be really tough. People, especially ones you like or love, can be a huge obstacle to achieving your goal. You may have to stay away from those people, if possible, until you have this thing under your control. If impossible to avoid them, then ask them to take the journey with you.

The second may be harder, you may have to go to the library to visit ATS, because I know for some, ATS can drive you to drink.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Usually, if you are asking if you drink to much -- you probably already know the answer.

Looking on the internet and asking people you know is a technique used to justify the habits you know are unhealthy, but want to continue doing.

Drinkers, smokers...anyone who indulges in an addictive behavior finds excuses and ways to rationalize their use. Another popular way to rationalize the amount you drink is to claim you are a "connoisseur" and only drink top-shelf, expensive brands. You only indulge in the finest whiskey and microbrews.

Society has us all brainwashed into accepting alcohol as something that's "good" -- even though according to the CDC, alcohol is the cause of 1 out of every 10 deaths for working Americans.

And this is legal?

The Centers for Disease Control has put a figure on how much it costs the American economy: $249 billion.
That includes spending on health care as well as the economic toll of lost productivity, car crashes, crime, and deaths attributable to excessive alcohol consumption.

Bloomberg

And this is encouraged by society? This is tirelessly advertised on TV non-stop?

Best thing I ever did was quit drinking.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   
well I didn't drink last night. And I don't plan to drink tonight, but.... that could change quickly. Plus I'm going to buy some wine ltr so anything could happen.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   

I would call someone who reaches for a beer in the morning instead of
coffee as having a drinking problem.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   
The history of one's genetic history does come into play. I've got the Irish and Northern European blood. We come from thousands of years of drinking alcoholic beverages. I also have Native American blood. They seem to have a poor tolerance. A drunk Injun is a mess of a person.
I do likes me some beer and liquor. I partake on a fairly regular basis. It requires some level of discipline to avoid getting caught by the balls.
If I can go a week "dry" without getting the shakes, I'm in good shape.
This song has special meaning to me.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 01:49 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Good words. I'm buying a house and some land at the moment so maybe that will be a good distraction - won't get in there until March though. I'll have a look at the routes you suggest - definitely sounds better than building boats from matches.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join