It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

new background check record set on black friday.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
a reply to: intrptr

That's if the 38. is for protection and not collection though.

If it was for protection circumstances I'd probably go with a 22. or maybe a standard black 9mm.

The "beatifully crafted" I mentioned would be collectors items.

.22s are for target practice and brain boxing...I wouldn't recommend them for self-defense. I like a .357 because you can still use the less expensive .38 ammunition, but it can handle a heavier .357 round as well.

I also like a revolver simply because it has less chance to malfunction than a semi-automatic and is much easier for the less experienced gun owner to use and maintain.
edit on 2015/12/2 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Not exactly. The background check is a simple phone call and is almost instantaneous. The record of your purchase is not kept by the feds, but by the dealer, which is required to keep it for something like 20 years.

Depending on what state yu live in… your mileage may vary. Here it is triplicate forms, everything about you, to be shared with every agency.

Press hard…

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

what if it's too late and ISIS already got Santa?

Our guns are useless at that point! What about the children!!!!!!?

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I like a .357 because you can still use the less expensive .38 ammunition, but it can handle a heavier .357 round as well.

Practice with the same ammo you plan on carrying. Stick to one type, be surer of your target as well as your background.

.357 over penetrates. Neighbors might not appreciate that.

Edit: And you might be blinded by your own muzzle flash at night.
edit on 2-12-2015 by intrptr because: edit:

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore
a reply to: Bluntone22

what if it's too late and ISIS already got Santa?

Our guns are useless at that point! What about the children!!!!!!?

Thats not what Isis would do. They'd behead his reindeer one at a time, take his elves hostage and ransom them for the presents.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

I like a .357 because you can still use the less expensive .38 ammunition, but it can handle a heavier .357 round as well.

Practice with the same ammo you plan on carrying. Stick to one type, be surer of your target as well as your background.

.357 over penetrates. Neighbors might not appreciate that.

Edit: And you might be blinded by your own muzzle flash at night.

I appreciate the advice and what you say is true. I think you can use hollow points to minimize the penetration issue.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   

I did wonder if it carried over.

Love ya, brother.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

The "beautifully crafted" I mentioned would be collectors items.

Oh, show off. I used to collect firearms, they'd be priceless today. Mostly I was always worried someone would steal them. Genreally speaking .38 won't ever be collectable.

I knew a guy once that has General William Westmorelands .45 revolver, had his initials on it and a signed receipt under the butt grips. Another guy I knew has a bolt action Mauser rifle from Herman Goerings hunting lodge with his initials and fine engraving on it.

If I still had either them these days, I'd be rich. Back then they were curios, anything Nazi was held in disdain.

Ahh, the good ole gunshow days.

You can't own a firearm at all in the UK?

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Laws aside, it's a "responsible gun owner" ideology. No one who is responsible enough to own one, should never knowingly sell one to someone with mental health issues.
Actually, you can buy a gun as a present, just not for someone who would be restricted from buying on their own, if they are legal age. I bought one for my son, who was 14 at the time.
edit on 2-12-2015 by DAVID64 because: typo

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   

The laws are difficult to understand as they range from one place to another.

We're allowed shotguns and some rifles.
Within reason.

And other arms like pistols as long as it's muzzle loaded, lol

Personally though, if I wanted a gun I'd buy one, legal or not, I'm not gonna let the government decide if I can defend myself.

Hasn't been worth my while as of yet.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Specialized ammo is more expensive. Good ole 38 'special' copper jacket, two or three rapid fire at close range in a darkened hallway, with you wife and kids sleeping nearby… ought to do it.

I say don't overspecialize again because you probably practice with different loads than you keep loaded.

Practice, practice, practice.

That way, when you're groggy in a darkened hallway and your target is looming before you, you will hit what you are aiming at and thats the most important thing, not how mangling the ammo is.

Everything else you sad about readiness, reliability and simpleness of a revolver is great.

That is in a self-defense in home scenario. God I hate that word… scenario.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Thanks for the insight.

Is there any sources of what mental health issues are considered a no no for gun ownership.

My diagnosis was one episode of psychosis in 2012 not expected to return in the future, and so far it hasn't.

On a more permanent basis I hear voices, but they don't have an affect on my cognitive abilities & I am aware they're imaginary, not reality.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Yeah I've heard stories of the SA's jamming and backfiring.

Surprised that still a thing to be honest with such advances in weaponry...

I've always been advised to go with revolvers as a choice of protection.
As you said as well, easier maintenance.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Sorry BluntOne I feel I've taken this well off topic.

I'll stop now.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Personally though, if I wanted a gun I'd buy one, legal or not, I'm not gonna let the government decide if I can defend myself.

Hasn't been worth my while as of yet.

Thanks for the rundown. Muzzle loaders, lol. Those are good collectors pieces, sometimes.

I wouldn't trip either. You probably only need a firearm to defend your self one time in your whole life. Then you have to see the trouble coming, get to your gun, unlock it, load it and get the drop on the bad guys. Whom of course are bad guys and usually get the jump on you.

Or get your gun and use it on you, or steal it and use it on someone else.

God, I'll get flamed for that, Im not anti gun and I do believe in self defense. Just that it happens so rarely, unless you're in crime, law enforcement or the military, you'll probably never use a gun for anything except a fun day at the range.

Nothin like an afternoon of shoot-bangin at targets to calm ones soul.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Is there any sources of what mental health issues are considered a no no for gun ownership.

Yah, part of the questionnaire here. Have you ever been convicted of a felony, been addicted to drugs or declared mentally unfit?

Thats paraphrased… but means have you ever been clinically diagnosed with any of a plethora of psychological problems like schizophrenia, for instance.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Thats paraphrased… but means have you ever been clinically diagnosed with any of a plethora of psychological problems like schizophrenia, for instance.

I think it actually takes a court order declaring a person mentally ill/defective (or a stint in a mental institution) for a person to be prohibited from firearms ownership. The wording both in federal law and on 4473 uses the word 'adjudicated'.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Nah, I self-diagnosed schizophrenia because of the voices, but there is nothing official from Consultants besides First Episode Psychosis not expected to return.

Basically I was paranoid of MI5/6 following me at the time.

I've since snapped out of such delusions.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   

I've seen a few ghosts and a oofo over a lifetime, used to howl at the moon from mouton tops a lonnng time ago. You sound fine to me.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: vor78

I think it actually takes a court order declaring a person mentally ill/defective (or a stint in a mental institution) for a person to be prohibited from firearms ownership. The wording both in federal law and on 4473 uses the word 'adjudicated'.

Yah, THEY check for that, too. Mostly to see if you lie about it?

Everyone is guilty of something ,once upon a time.

<< 1    3 >>

join