It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

new background check record set on black friday.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Apparently guns will be a big Christmas gift this year.
Could this be a reaction to the president's recent comments on gun control, or is it just a nervous public? Maybe both. I'm not sure yet.

Here are a few clips from the article.

"The National Instant Criminal Background Check System processed 185,345 requests on Nov. 27, one of the largest retail sales days in the country."

"This was an approximate 5% increase over the 175,754 received on Black Friday 2014," wrote Stephen Fischer, the FBI's chief of multimedia productions. "The previous high for receipts were the 177,170 received on 12/21/2012."

www.usatoday.com...

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Obama has been the best salesman for the gun industry. He is fantastic.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   
What if Obama and the progressives are pushing against guns with reverse psychology so the arms dealers make billions more...

Or what if Obama and the progressives are pushing against guns with reverse psychology because they know something the public doesn't and they want as many people armed as possible for the coming turmoil...

Gee thanks, Obama.

Way to save a Nation.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

Obama has been the best salesman for the gun industry. He is fantastic.

"fear" is the best salesman for the gun industry. the NRA uses it all the time in their adverts, communications to the public, and their members.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Are people allowed to buy guns for other people?

If/When I move to the States will one of you buy me one please, I don't think my mental health history will be helpful in buying my own.
I promise to be responsible with it.
edit on 2-12-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: Spelling.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Maybe monkeys will fly out of his butt.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   

I can sell a gun to another individual without paperwork.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Maybe monkeys will fly out of his butt.

Lol so true.

Just keeping with the conspiratorial nature of the site.
However unlikely.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I can sell a gun to another individual without paperwork.

Brilliant.

Put me down for a brand spanking new 38., please.
There are some beautifully crafted S&W's I've had my eye on.

edit on 2-12-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: Added image. Noted.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Its a continuation of a year-long trend. We've been heading toward another yearly record for background checks even before this. In fact, starting with May, each month has been a record for that particular month, and by no small margin, either. I'm not sure what's fueling it, given that this isn't apparently isn't a short-term reaction to another misdirected Obama gun rant, but rather a sustained round of buying. You're probably right that its general anxiety about the overall state of affairs right now.
edit on 2-12-2015 by vor78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

If/When I move to the States will one of you buy me one please, I don't think my mental health history will be helpful in buying my own.

Nope, you're out of luck. That's a straw purchase, illegal and punishable by 5-10 in a federal lockup.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: vor78

That's a damn shame.

Do you know of any States that are more lenient in the mental health department, or is that a Nationwide ideology?

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: vor78

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

Nope, you're out of luck. That's a straw purchase, illegal and punishable by 5-10 in a federal lockup.

ETA. You are absolutely right. The words "buy one for me" make it so. I could sell you one, but I could not buy one to sell to you.

It would be legal in many states, if he hadnt just given the seller a reason to believe he is unfit or otherwise disallowed from owning one.

Which he did.
edit on 2-12-2015 by ISawItFirst because: eta

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   

I can't tell you exactly what the law is in that regard, except that if you've been adjudicated as mentally ill by a court, you're prohibited from purchasing (and owning, using, borrowing, etc) any firearm. Its one of the questions on form 4473 when you purchase a firearm and is supposed to be cross-checked by the national database when the NICS background check is called in. This is federal law, mind you, so it applies everywhere. But again, as far as the details are concerned and whether a person has recourse to have that removed from their record, I couldn't tell you.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
"Background Checks"--

Heres your gun. Thanks for all the data we didn't have before. We know where your gun lives, when the time comes, we will be around to collect it.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: vor78

So they'd likely have to evaluate me rather than outright deny it just because of my history?

That sounds sensible.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Revolver, good. .38 special, good. If you're going to go hammerless, butt grip and lo-profile sights to ease it quickly out of your pocket without snagging, why get it in nickel or chrome so everyone can see it?

You are asking to get shot about a half second after you produce a glinting firearm.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

"Background Checks"--

Heres your gun. Thanks for all the data we didn't have before. We know where your gun lives, when the time comes, we will be around to collect it.

Not exactly. The background check is a simple phone call and is almost instantaneous. The record of your purchase is not kept by the feds, but by the dealer, which is required to keep it for something like 20 years. (It may be more) When a firearm is used in a crime the "path" to get to the original owner is through the dealer. Most states do not have a "registration" requirement for anything other than machine guns.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

That's if the 38. is for protection and not collection though.

If it was for protection circumstances I'd probably go with a 22. or maybe a standard black 9mm.

The "beatifully crafted" I mentioned would be collectors items.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   

I don't think you can own one unless you are a U.S. citizen, but I don't think your mental health status in your old country would be an issue in the U.S. If you were willing to become a naturalized U.S. citizen you can have all the guns you want and frankly I would welcome you here Charlie.

You are a good guy in my opinion.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join