It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is not a day care. This is a university!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wookiep
a reply to: MagesticEsoteric

Yup, no more troll feeding needed. I'm out, good thread though, I'm glad this university is standing firm. I hope we see more of this from other universities!

Yup. me too.
Now, GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

I liked the letter, and if I can paraphrase something slightly: "The only consistent factor in bring victimized, bullied, or being made to feel guilty, is you". Instead of looking out for ways to change the world so that you don't suffer a microaggression, instead look inward at how to not let that bother you. People are always going to come into conflict, that's part of society and you'll never be able to force everyone to change, nor should you force anyone. Instead, learn how to deal with their actions, and then look at what actions you can take that end that behavior. If a pastor is making you feel guilty for example, then perhaps changing your behavior to no longer perform those guilt producing actions is something you should do.

I'm glad I'm not around these people at school. The ridiculous work load in my major keeps me and the others in my program from having the time to do things like look around for microaggressions.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

I really do enjoy your posts

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Millennials have been taught to speak their mind...

The previous generations understood the importance of doing as they are told and not making waves.

The reaction toward millennials by the other generations (and even some millennials) to attack this behavior and say it's due to millennials getting whatever they wanted as children, generally can't grasp the concept and are even a little jealous because they did not have the freedom to speak their mind in such a manner.

The story about a kid sharing his view on the Bible verse.... And? People have opinions about religion, discussion is the result. Why is the Pastor whining about it; the kid was curious enough to listen and to share his opinion and offer discussion. That is what the Pastor should want. This is certainly not news worthy - or even unusual (for any age).

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wookiep

Yup, no more troll feeding needed. I'm out, good thread though, I'm glad this university is standing firm. I hope we see more of this from other universities!

Once he's not fed the drama he seeks....he'll just move along.

I agree with you on the stance the university took...long over due IMO.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

It will have to hit rock bottom before it balances out and people wake up.

The woman at the end of vid is asked by Maher where will it end up? And she said 'we're there'. She says after all the issues (PC and such) that has been building up for years, "it has reached it's logical conclusion".

Our vocabulary will change. Again. For example, people used to say "fat", but it became rude, so it was changed to 'obese" which is now become rude so it is changed to 'persons of size".

edit on 12/1/2015 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Infinitis

I only read the first two sentences of you post and can tell you that you are already wrong in my opinion.

Several generations before this one laid the ground work for the current generation when it comes to vocalizing descent.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0hlord
pretty much everything in this thread

If this really is what millennials are like, I weep. These snowflakes need to rub some dirt on their Id and walk off their bruised egos.
edit on 1-12-2015 by Teikiatsu because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Yes. But Millennials are the first to have the power to utilize that voice through technology. That has exponentially increased the impact of a single voice and allowed this generation to be by far the most successful at it; not because of who they are, but because of the times we live in.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Infinitis

Millennials have been taught to speak their mind...

The previous generations understood the importance of doing as they are told and not making waves.

The reaction toward millennials by the other generations (and even some millennials) to attack this behavior and say it's due to millennials getting whatever they wanted as children, generally can't grasp the concept and are even a little jealous because they did not have the freedom to speak their mind in such a manner.

The story about a kid sharing his view on the Bible verse.... And? People have opinions about religion, discussion is the result. Why is the Pastor whining about it; the kid was curious enough to listen and to share his opinion and offer discussion. That is what the Pastor should want. This is certainly not news worthy - or even unusual (for any age).

You have identified one of the causes of this so called "problem".
"Millennials" relationship to authority.

The jealousy it creates in older generations is very apparent. Just read this thread. Mindnumbing. In fact, read just about any ATS thread... Same jealousy trolls.

But it creates an additional problem for society. These jealous attacks are very real. And worse, they're seen as legitimate. Both by the media and by academic sociologists.

I was once handed a Google print out some years ago in my teens by a relative (professional psychotherist), it was for a "syndrome called" Anti-Authoritarian Dissassociative Disorder (or some such horse manure).

From that day forth I knew there were two competing definitions of humanity in this world. The academic false one, and the true natural one.

Cause and effect. People are not born with labels. People invent them. Millennials, generation x y z, ... Etc... Just labels. Like bar codes. That's all we've become. Mindless hypocritical trolls. We're the self hating migrants of our own conscience, beating the enemies war drum, ringing our own death knell, filling our own gas chambers with our own poison gas in our own concentration camps for our own children in our own holocaust...

When I say we I unwittingly place the martyrs crown upon my own head.
But that furthers no good cause. So I throw it to the ground and spit on it....

The worst thing you can do is agree to identify with this fiction. And participate in the divisive self har!ing / self hating behaviour.

edit on 1-12-2015 by 0hlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   
There's a reason adults teach the classes while young people learn;
Adults have experience the younger generation lacks.
Working real jobs with real people.
You quickly learn life isn't about YOU.
It's about your task at hand at your job or keeping things running in a household.
Attending a dozen raves over the summer does not qualify one for anything.
edit on 1-12-2015 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Yes. But Millennials are the first to have the power to utilize that voice through technology. That has exponentially increased the impact of a single voice and allowed this generation to be by far the most successful at it; not because of who they are, but because of the times we live in.

Agreed but, again....prior generations were not afraid to voice their opinions. Quite contrary actually. Look at what transpired during the 60's and 70's. That generation was the pioneer in many ways...they just didn't have the technology to spread their opinions like this generation does.

Just because this generation has the technology to spread information in a different way should not negate what the prior generations did to pave the way...that's all I'm saying.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   

‘Tis not due yet; I would be loath to pay him before
his day. What need I be so forward with him that
calls not on me? Well, ’tis no matter; entitlement pricks
them on. Yea, but how if entitlement prick them off when they
log on? how then? Can entitlement set to a leg? no: or
an arm? no: or take away the grief of a wound? no.
Entitlement hath no skill in surgery, then? no. What is
entitlement? a word. What is in that word entitlement? what
is that entitlement? pixels on the internet.
A trim reckoning! Who hath it?
he that cried o’ Wednesday. Doth he feel it? sadly yes.
Doth he hear it? sadly yes. ‘Tis bizzarely sensible, then.
Yea, to the brain dead.
But will it not resonate with the sensible?
no. Why? detraction will not suffer it. Therefore
I’ll none of it. Entitlement is a mere scutcheon: and so
ends my catechism.

Props to my man Willy. Update a few words and it still rings true. Words are just that, words. These kids have not been shown how to think or what conviction truly is.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagesticEsoteric

Agreed but, again....prior generations were not afraid to voice their opinions. Quite contrary actually. Look at what transpired during the 60's and 70's. That generation was the pioneer in many ways...they just didn't have the technology to spread their opinions like this generation does.

Just because this generation has the technology to spread information in a different way should not negate what the prior generations did to pave the way...that's all I'm saying.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Where did the coddleing come from. Was it sympathy left over from the youth put through latch key tv babysat lives? Or is it pc related?Parenting has changed from spanking ... grounding to grounding with mobile acess...video games...tablets...

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

You might have a point. No one cares about real world concerns... instead are making all about them.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Shame on the older generations more like for being so narcissistic self absorbed and for eroding the moral foundations of society by not setting a proper example.

On behalf of all "Millennials"

WHAT DID YOU EXPECT!?
Speaking as a millennial, typical millennial scapegoating. Of course, we're the victims. It's our parents' faults we turned out like this. SMH

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Today's crybabies will be tomorrow's homeless. Life will eat you alive if you play the victim, there is no way around the reality of that. ~$heopleNation

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Thank you for that refreshing and promising insight, Skep!
Bumped for pure content. I'm sending this man's link to all
my friends to give them some hope.
I believe Dr. Piper's faculty is not about to be repopulated
with progressive change agents anytime soon... the era of
personal responsibility isn't yet dead in some private schools
anyway.

Personally I'm old enough to own my shortcomings; and
endeavor to not crutch them out to make it 'easier'. Life,
contrary to the popular meme has no easy button.
I got it. Thirty years ago, but thanks for reminding them, Doc.
(It really ought to save OKWU scads of money sending the new
grads out without memory foam pillows for the hard butt landing).

For Shamrock and the rest of us old school... thank you also.
I've noticed almost always that career students are 'brain lazy'.
That won't cut it in an engineering program, however few
may choose to swing at the beast. One good, big mistake out
in the world, and other people can get physically hurt or worse.

A fresh math prof said 'You can start doing your homework now."
It was the middle of October... he didn't have to repeat it.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 01:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: JohnFisher

Shame on the older generations more like for being so narcissistic self absorbed and for eroding the moral foundations of society by not setting a proper example.

On behalf of all "Millennials"

WHAT DID YOU EXPECT!?
Speaking as a millennial, typical millennial scapegoating. Of course, we're the victims. It's our parents' faults we turned out like this. SMH

I don't believe you actually take yourself seriously.... I just can't.

Where do they print you?

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join