It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is not a day care. This is a university!

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
I agree there has definitely been some ridiculous stories coming out of some universities.
But I think this idea that we need to tell kids to stop speaking up when they feel disenfranchised is wrong.

They should see things that challenge them, but when that challenge goes to far then they should speak up about it.

I don't want people to just shut up and take it, but also don't want them getting mad about a sticker on a truck.

Also seems this letter is in response to one student that didn't like his sermon no?

Seems kinda of a weird way to deal with something like that...
Weird way to turn the other cheek if you ask me.

Does it mean anything to you that there's actually a difference between "speaking up" about something real, that's actually wrong / bad..............and crying like a baby 24/7 about incredibly stupid false fake things that don't exist ?

I love those biblical admonitions from people who hate religion in every other post. Some strangely inconsistent...... can't quite place it.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: 0hlord
a reply to: Metallicus

Attacks on Millennials = soot calling metal dirty.

haha, you really felt a need to create a micro-aggression-free / hate-free rewrite of pot-kettle.

Did you even think of avoiding being that guy that the president, and this whole thread......were spoofing ?

Egad. Embarrassment, shame, and dignity do not even exist anymore.

Only wah-wah let me tell you about me and what i want.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Realtruth
Then parents, educators, and adults need to stop their whining as well, because they are and were the ones responsible for this generations upbringing.

There is some of that at play here. Parents focused on raising good little safe children, and forgot their jobs are to raise good adults. Helicopter parents begat entitled millennials.

However.

Even the most self-absorbed entitled easily-offended delicate butterfly millennial needs to hear that life is hard, harsh, and takes an effort. If no one makes that clear, regularly and often, then we're in big trouble. This guy (in the opening post) made that clear.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: ThirdEyeofHorus

Thank you, I think they are very aware of their surroundings and how we got this way. What older generations perceive as narcissism or non participation is their way of rebelling. They dare not speak up about what they see in our everyday hypocrisy, they'll just get yelled at more.

Conform, obey, succeeed…

They go back to texting, its their only place to hide from the insanity. At least if they can't afford to travel and be with their counterparts they can text, send selfies and ridicule the establishment together on social media.

I'm part of the older generation, but I(m) like them, dis enfranchised, marginalized and disconnected.

edit on 2-12-2015 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn
And let's not overlook the role of educators and values clarification which purpose it is to separate their children's values and mores from their parents and replace with the political correctness of the nanny state. Our kids are being indoctrinated by the state. I've just seen a recent common core work book and sure enough it contains propaganda for climate change theory.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
"The Millenials" sure catch a lot of flack these days! There's naturally lots of finger pointing, and I am inclined to add: If it takes a village, the village F'd up! So we're essentially all to blame... but blame itself is at the heart of the matter here. It would seem there's a cultural problem with personal responsibility, which is apparently magnified in this generation. I'm not sure how to instill cultural change, but that's what's needed here. I'm reminded of this quote...

"If you suffer it is because of you, if you feel blissful it is because of you. Nobody else is responsible - only you and you alone. You are your hell and your heaven too. Osho"

How do we get that message out?

Anyone seen the movie PCU? It's actually pretty relevant here with the "Causeheads" taking offense to literally everything, culminating in a protest about protests. The movie is 20 years old, and pokes fun at gen Xers... this issue is not new.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I hear ya! In the hippie generation the flower children hated the plastic society snd now look what we've created, a society which is going away from
Real currency to plastic with virtual numbers and governments which steal money right out of bank accounts to pay for every war invented by the elites. Bill
Ayers was in sds and anti war etc but his creation is in every war dreamed up by the controllers. I feel for the youth.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord

However.

Even the most self-absorbed entitled easily-offended delicate butterfly millennial needs to hear that life is hard, harsh, and takes an effort. If no one makes that clear, regularly and often, then we're in big trouble. This guy (in the opening post) made that clear.

No argument here.

I deal with millennial kids on a daily basis so I get it, but again who is to blame.

I'm glad someone is pointing it out, but this is not the first time.

What we need is a whole change in our societal MO, and that would take a major shift in thinking and being. The Mommy and Daddy double income/ divorced pick a side generation has absolutely gutted the family unit.

We have a generation of Latch Key child basically raising themselves, whether the parents are married or divorced.

I'm not saying this is the only reason, but a major one. Many adults compensate for their mistakes and time spent away from the children buy buying things, but what that gets is exactly what we are seeing.

I don't think Millennials are a lost cause, but many will have a rude awakening when it's time to pay their way.

My opinion is get the family unit back together, but in reality there is so much hate being fostered between men and women, on many levels in our society, and divorce is an easy option, so I don't see it happening anytime soon.

As long as money flows in, the church will never blame the parents.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Is this a US thing?

When I did my biology degree a few years back my teachers were brutal and not above being harsh and handing out some life lessons and failing you. Hell i never even had time to think about petty things like political correctness rubbish let alone waste my time protesting.

Maybe it because I picked a science degree I and missed the ranting libertards around me?

How does it work in the USA? Do your students all have to sit through silly social justice courses regardless of degree?
edit on 2-12-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ThirdEyeofHorus

Yah, the hippy generation turned yuppie, selling out to the system, got theirs and now them and their kids are running it into the ground.

Todays kids coming up are looking at working their butts off to get indebted to that system for a college degree that they cant find work for anyway.

Any real reward is in the corruption of state where they can step on others and learn to steal from the public trough. Or wrk in a defense plant, mega corp, become cannon fodder in foreign wars.

Then theres Mickey D's… for now.

What choices are those?

David Bowie said it years ago…

Changes

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

How does it work in the USA? Do your students all have to sit through silly social justice courses regardless of degree?

Yes. A pthany of prerequisites and filler courses, designed to belay the actual work and earn more money for the coffers. College is a business here, they soak students dry, leaving them in debt to the banks before they even get a job.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   

! Yeah here you just do the courses relevant for your degree in most University’s.

Other courses are open but I never wasted my time in them.

What is the point in doing a side course in political correct micro aggression or whatever when I could be studding for actual relevant thing that will get me a job!

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

! Yeah here you just do the courses relevant for your degree in most University’s.

Other courses are open but I never wasted my time in them.

What is the point in doing a side course in political correct micro aggression or whatever when I could be studding for actual relevant thing that will get me a job!

The whole 'degree' thing. Near as I can tell if you labor hard and long enough to get one it means you will be a good servant for xyz corporation .

You have proven you can work long and hard for little to nothing to show for it.

I mean what else? A degree gives you work skills but little job experience. Most of what you learn in college isn't applicable.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThirdEyeofHorus
And let's not overlook the role of educators and values clarification which purpose it is to separate their children's values and mores from their parents and replace with the political correctness of the nanny state. Our kids are being indoctrinated by the state.

It still falls back on the parents. This would not be able to happen if the parents were engaged in the education of their children. Most parents are clueless to what their children are being taught, or even what is in the source materials their children are forced to study from.

When I left home for college, I thought I was the cat's meows. I was mortified, I know telling my age, when my mother called the Professor of my Psychology class and told him she wasn't paying her hard earned money to send her daughter to a school to learn the BS he was teaching. I quickly was put in check, right along with the instructor, because she was pulling me out of that school.

Every night at dinner we had to each give an accounting of our day to my parents, from the oldest to the youngest.At the time is was eight of us. You ever hear a two year old tell you about their day? It goes like this, "And then...". "And then..". "Wait a minute, wait a minute, I forgot." "Oh yeah!" "And then...".

My parents actually asked us questions about what we learned in school each day and they actually checked our homework. I know people don't do these old fashioned things anymore, but parents back then were engaged and they had no problems calling the Superintendent of Schools for accountability.

Schools were afraid of the parents back then. Like our government used to be afraid of us.

Anything that has immense value is desired, sheltered and protected. You don't treat Waterford crystal like it is Dixie Ware. But that is pretty much what we did with our children and our country. Now look at the fine mess we are in.

edit on 2-12-2015 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Word correction.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   

We have a generation of Latch Key child basically raising themselves, whether the parents are married or divorced.

I see it differently.

It's closer to something along the lines of: We have a generation of "Latch Key" children who are now adults and overcompensating for their "Latch Key" upbringing by being helicopter parents, and spawning a generation of people unprepared for adult life on their own.
edit on 2-12-2015 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: poncho1982

originally posted by: 0hlord
Shame on the older generations more like for being so narcissistic self absorbed and for eroding the moral foundations of society by not setting a proper example.

On behalf of all "Millennials"

WHAT DID YOU EXPECT!?

Oh, please.

Give me a break.

On behalf of all older generations.... WE TRIED, YOU CRIED ABOUT IT.

My point is... Now what? Haha, you be slipping as hard as "we" Millennials over this.

As an above poster pointed out "it takes a village, the village F'd up!”

edit on 2-12-2015 by 0hlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThirdEyeofHorus
And let's not overlook the role of educators and values clarification which purpose it is to separate their children's values and mores from their parents and replace with the political correctness of the nanny state. Our kids are being indoctrinated by the state. I've just seen a recent common core work book and sure enough it contains propaganda for climate change theory.

Uuggghhh.....common core! That's something that needs a thread of it's own. You know our kids are screwed when we, as parents, have to re-learn everything we were taught just to be able to help our kids with homework! Just two weeks ago, I was on the phone with the Board of Education over this issue. They want us to help our kids but, they are making it damn near impossible for us to do it.

I'm still able to help my youngest but, my oldest is in 8th grade and starting algebra. I can not for the life of me figure out how to do it the way they teach it today. The funny thing is....Math was my best subject in school. I loved it and was very good at it. Now, I'm having to pay out of pocket for a tutor so my kid doesn't fail.

Sorry for the rant and derailment...anyway, back on topic.

It's so important to be a part of their education though. It can be time consuming and a real pain but, it's my responsibility as their parent.

We need to know what they are being taught and we need to give them alternative ways of thinking if it's something we don't necessarily agree with.

They are my children and I will teach them what I think they need to know to make it in this crazy world.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Good for him. When these coddled children move into the real world, they won't be able to cope.

Pretending to be a victim won't play well once you're on your own.

Wrong Wrong Wrong. And that's the problem. These coddled children go out in the real world and then can't handle when a pizza place doesn't want to cater a fictional gay wedding. But sadly in the real world they get to sue the business, close it, ruin the employees lives, and be held as courageous winners by the media and the left wing.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

But sadly in the real world they get to sue the business, close it, ruin the employees lives, and be held as courageous winners by the media and the left wing.

Right, because its the Millennials writing the legislation that allows for such action. And it's millenial Judges passing judgement too. Wrong.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord

I see it differently.

It's closer to something along the lines of: We have a generation of "Latch Key" children who are now adults and overcompensating for their "Latch Key" upbringing by being helicopter parents, and spawning a generation of people unprepared for adult life on their own.

This is the case as well. I see it on both ends of the spectrum since I teach part time at a local school. And also have coached children's soccer and hockey for over 20 years.

It seems the parents either over-compensate, or don't give crap at all about what the child does, but I will agree the helicopter parents are a problem.

I typically read parents the riot act, in the beginning when it comes to coaching, if they don't like it, then I show them where the door is. I won't coddle any of my teams, or players. In fact, when I get a problem child and see potential for the future I allow peer pressure to take over, and it works wonders.

I had a few children over the years with entitled attitudes, but broke them of that MO immediately, and the result is a humble gracious child that loved the discipline, and the team working together.

What I did for hockey was if I got attitude, or back talk from a player early on I single them out. I proceeded to sit them comfortable in the middle of the ice arena, while asking them if they were comfortable, then I made the entire team do drills, around them double time, because of their attitude. Peer pressure was so over-whelming that within minutes they would be crying, or begging to join the others and asking for the punishment to stop.

When I spoke to the team later to explain why I did this my explanation was simple. "We are a team, and if one person makes a mistake it will effect the entire team. However I expect mistakes, but not someone who purposely holds the entire team back because they don't want to pull their own weight, smarts off, or feels entitled."

I never had one parent challenge my authority.

SO I truly believe that team work is lacking in our society today, and that is my entire reference to the fragmented family unit. It appears not many parents want to be firm or strict with their children, but in reality children need, and thrive on this.

The only answer I have is children need attention, but misguided attention can be almost as destructive as no attention.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join