It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is not a day care. This is a university!

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Exactly!!

That's how I see it, too.

I can't help but compare all too many of these kids today with how I was raised.

During the summer? I was never home, I and my group of friends were out hither and yon, usually yon. The winter, If there was snow, we were on the sledding hill, usually doing really stupid things that make me shake my head looking back on it...

Today? I see scheduling "play dates" all too often. How do you schedule play? Isn't play supposed to be spontaneous?

Overcompensating for the absence of "their" parents by suffocating their own kids. Goes a long way towards explaining it.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   

If anyone in this "University" has been playing the Victim card its the University itself!

Affiliation from their about page:

The Voice of the Martyrs is a non-profit, inter-denominational Christian organization dedicated to assisting the persecuted church worldwide. Their purpose is to spread the message of the atrocities that Christians face in restricted nations, while establishing a network of offices dedicated to assisting the persecuted church.
www.okwu.edu...

VOM’s Five Main Purposes

1. To encourage and empower Christians to fulfill the Great Commission in areas of the world where they are persecuted for sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ.

www.persecution.com...
edit on 2-12-2015 by 0hlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0hlord

originally posted by: poncho1982

Shame on the older generations more like for being so narcissistic self absorbed and for eroding the moral foundations of society by not setting a proper example.

On behalf of all "Millennials"

WHAT DID YOU EXPECT!?

Oh, please.

Give me a break.

On behalf of all older generations.... WE TRIED, YOU CRIED ABOUT IT.

My point is... Now what? Haha, you be slipping as hard as "we" Millennials over this. As an above poster pointed out "it takes a village, the village F'd up!”

Show us how it should be done.

It is easy peasy. Even if we screwed up things so bad you can't fix it all in your generation, it should be a cake walk to fix the main part of it, and set your children up for a future much better than yours.

Just keep in mind, that is what generation before you has done, and it has failed.

So learn by our mistakes and make an amazing future for you and the future generations. You have the blueprints of the failures, make yours a success.

Just don't expect the generations that follow yours to be understanding or grateful for you sacrifices, no matter how great or how small, it will not be enough. It will always be too little, too late.

edit on 2-12-2015 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Fixed transfer glitch.

edit on 2-12-2015 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Word correction.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

We've spawned a whole new generation, and not just with the young, but the older generation as well.

Connected, but disconnected as well. We are all guilty of it.

Kids do as their peers. We only need to look around at what we are creating. The virtual world has much more appeal than the real world, thus we have people, not just kids indulging in this artificial matrix.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

originally posted by: crazyewok
a reply to: intrptr

! Yeah here you just do the courses relevant for your degree in most University’s.

Other courses are open but I never wasted my time in them.

What is the point in doing a side course in political correct micro aggression or whatever when I could be studding for actual relevant thing that will get me a job!

The whole 'degree' thing. Near as I can tell if you labor hard and long enough to get one it means you will be a good servant for xyz corporation .

You have proven you can work long and hard for little to nothing to show for it.

I mean what else? A degree gives you work skills but little job experience. Most of what you learn in college isn't applicable.

Depends on Degree.

If its some liberal arts BS yeah.

If is a STEM degree like I did then no it is important. You cant just turn up at a lab and claim your a scientist.....well you can but it will likely get the police called on you!

Same with being a Doctor, vet, Dentist, Lawyer, engineer ect You do need university for them.

edit on 2-12-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   

If anyone in this "University" has been playing the Victim card its the University itself!

Affiliation from their about page:

The Voice of the Martyrs is a non-profit, inter-denominational Christian organization dedicated to assisting the persecuted church worldwide. Their purpose is to spread the message of the atrocities that Christians face in restricted nations, while establishing a network of offices dedicated to assisting the persecuted church.
www.okwu.edu...

VOM’s Five Main Purposes

1. To encourage and empower Christians to fulfill the Great Commission in areas of the world where they are persecuted for sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ.

www.persecution.com...

They're playing the victim card because you dislike their goals and beliefs ?

That's really solid, yipperdoo.....

Alinsky's proud of you. Doing your best to sweep the bitching, moaning brats off the table and insert your own hated targets instead.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

a reply to: intrptr

! Yeah here you just do the courses relevant for your degree in most University’s.

Other courses are open but I never wasted my time in them.

What is the point in doing a side course in political correct micro aggression or whatever when I could be studding for actual relevant thing that will get me a job!

The whole 'degree' thing. Near as I can tell if you labor hard and long enough to get one it means you will be a good servant for xyz corporation .

You have proven you can work long and hard for little to nothing to show for it.

I mean what else? A degree gives you work skills but little job experience. Most of what you learn in college isn't applicable.

Depends on Degree.

If its some liberal arts BS yeah.

If is a STEM degree like I did then no it is important. You cant just turn up at a lab and claim your a scientist.....well you can but it will likely get the police called on you!

Same with being a Doctor, vet, Dentist, Lawyer, engineer ect You do need university for them.

I got my MD and PhD in Physics from ITT !! What of it ?

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Being "that guy" in a thread dedicated to how idiotic that guy is.......no way to go through life.

Self abuse ? Because that's all that guy has in life, knows how to do ?

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I'm 25. I felt the problem lied with the whole public school system. The obliviousness of the teachers and conselors to reality. Or at least the reality they shared with the students.
Brainwashing minors into the college dream. NON-stem degrees should not get government funding in my opinion. It was just a big debt con job picking on ignorant minors.

And also yes people my age are also idiots. Many obessed over stars and themselves. Is it worse than the hippie age young adults or the hair band sex drugs and rock n roll young adults? I do not know.

One thing I feel older people are oblivious on is that the wages younger people get is a lot lower than they think. I think inflation is not accounted for when discussing such matters. Take one's wage from 1990 and cut that in half that is today's wage.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Stay engaged.... you are 100% correct.

Also, I understand what you mean about some private school kids being little elitists. Just to clarify, where I live it's really (some of) the high schools that are really considered to be prestigious. The local elementary private schools really depend on the neighborhood. In our case, and keep in mind his school is connected to our parish so we have known many of the other parents since well before we had our son, most people aren't "rich" by any stretch of the imagination. For the vast majority of the parents, paying the tuition is most definitely a sacrifice so they really do tend to be engaged.

Regarding the last sentence of your post.... if I ever need our little guy to put down toys or whatever and engage with an "old" person (your word, not mine).... All we have to do is visit my father. Our son, for reasons that I can't quite comprehend... absolutely, positively LOVES his grandpa (and vice versa).

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord

originally posted by: Realtruth
We have a generation of Latch Key child basically raising themselves, whether the parents are married or divorced.

I see it differently.

It's closer to something along the lines of: We have a generation of "Latch Key" children who are now adults and overcompensating for their "Latch Key" upbringing by being helicopter parents, and spawning a generation of people unprepared for adult life on their own.

THIS!

We are WAY beyond the first signs of this.

Children who never learned to be adults, now have children of their own who have now come of age.

The chickens have come home to roost you might say.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: stevieray
No, its just an indication as to what has potentially motivated this preacher to "Go public" and bitch about a minor incident to the whole world... The message is clear. Milenials are a threat to the Church.

Poor persecuted traditional Christian
Vs
Spoilt moaning millenial...

For the love of God.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: poncho1982

Children who never learned to be adults, now have children of their own who have now come of age. 

Reality check. This problem is thousands of years old.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   
A troll is gonna be a troll...

No changing that.

Poor little things...locked inside their own little bubble of a world.

Just pat them on the head for reassurance, tell them that they are the Bestest!

edit on 2-12-2015 by MagesticEsoteric because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: poncho1982

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord

originally posted by: Realtruth
We have a generation of Latch Key child basically raising themselves, whether the parents are married or divorced.

I see it differently.

It's closer to something along the lines of: We have a generation of "Latch Key" children who are now adults and overcompensating for their "Latch Key" upbringing by being helicopter parents, and spawning a generation of people unprepared for adult life on their own.

THIS!

We are WAY beyond the first signs of this.

The chickens have come home to roost you might say.

This right here!

This is a truth that speaks volumes to past, present and future parents.....

That's about all I can say...I want to say more but,I know that it will only fall on deaf ears for the most part.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

These kids have not been shown how to think or what conviction truly is.

And I bet you are just the person to "show them how to think" and "what conviction still is" you have plenty. Too bad thought and conviction apparently ends with your generation.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: MagesticEsoteric

agreed.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth

You aren't wrong.

I had to ride the bus the other day, and it was around the time school got out. Bad timing on my part, I thought. Bunch of yammering kids all around me was just going to suck. Right?

I've never ridden on a bus that was so quiet. Everyone had their noses buried in a phone. Most amazing thing I've seen in a long time. No one, I mean no one, was talking to anyone. I leaned over, and asked the driver "Is it always this quiet on this bus?" I swear to God, she almost jumped out of her skin.

She said it's usually a little louder, but not much.

So, all connected, but totally disconnected like you say. Not totally their fault, parents too, for allowing such unfettered access to electronic unreality.

I wonder how much skill these kids have in interacting in a physical manner with anyone outside their peer group, or even within it...

Totally blind to the world around them, and just while on the bus. Some didn't even look up from the screen while walking down the sidewalk...

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 12:52 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Must be you Americans. My school bus, you know, the one I was still using a few months ago, was crazy loud. The quiet people were listening to music or trying to sleep because they were tired.

Alternatively, if it was a public bus, it's because they didn't want to talk loudly around strangers and felt awkward.
edit on 3/12/2015 by Eilasvaleleyn because: Reasons

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 01:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Eilasvaleleyn

I freely admit, I seldom ride the bus anymore...but I once did ride it nearly daily. While somedays it would be quiet, this was , by my standards, strangely quiet. I thought it strange.

Probably indicative of nothing. Or maybe it is?

No background talking, certainly none that I noticed. I don't think I"m that intimidating...

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join