It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sick of thieves

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I have to get this off my chest I'm angry as hell. I live 2 blocks north of Detroit and a certain demographic of people moved into the neighborhood and crime has skyrocketed. 4 of my neighbors cars have been broken into. Twice I've caught people in the act. I smoke out side and I'm up at all times of the night. 2 of of my neighbors homes have been broken into. They wiped my neighbors out. Someone came into my house last summer when I wasn't home. I left the back door unlocked because my grandmother was home. They took off when they found she was home. Thanksgiving night someone tried getting in through the front door. I was out shopping with my cousin and my grandmother was home alone. My uncle has had his house broken into twice. They climbed under his car and cut his catalytic converter off with a torch. I'm at my whits end with the thieves. My family is getting together for the holidays and I can't go because I have to watch the house.

I called the police department today to find out if I can shoot someone if they break in. I figure it would send a message to the rest of the dirt bags in the neighborhood. Unfortunately I can't shoot them unless my life is in danger. I have a lot of stuff in my house. My cousin lives here along with my grandmother and I. Between my cousin and I have about $50k in stuff. $10k in just fishing equipment and another $10k in guns and hunting stuff. Not to mention TV's Computers and all that. I can't get a dog because my grandmother is allergic to them. I know we are a target because of prior incidents. I don't know what to do. I can't leave my house without worrying all the time.

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   
When you live in a war zone, you should expect that kind of behavior. I know it sounds cavalier to say so, but move. I know you have all sorts of reasons not to, but the fact is, when you finally get to the point where your current issue outweighs all the reasons for not moving, you will do so. Sometimes you have to let the animals have the zoo while you relocate to somewhere more civilized. Besides, this behavior is not exactly new. It's been going on for generations. I was in a suburb of Detroit in the mid seventies and it was bad then.
edit on 11/28/2015 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Put an alarm, you can get one with multiple sensors for like 200$

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: schuylerI've lived in the area for 40 years I can't afford to pick up and leave.

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent
Put an alarm, you can get one with multiple sensors for like 200$
Any suggestions on what to look for?

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: wantsome

I would not know, Honeywell alarms are good, in the 80s my family home had one with windows sensors and ir detectors inside the house.

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_2?s=security-surveillance&ie=UTF8&qid=1448759802&sr=1-2&keywords =Alarms

Many places (homedepot and similar) sell alarms you can setup yourself, be careful where you place the sensors if you put then in a backyard cats and other animals can activate them all the time and it's very annoying.
edit on 28-11-2015 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Rent a secure storage space out of the zone .. put all your valuable things there

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Something like very bright outside lights that trip from sensors, lighting up the house and sounding a really loud siren, for starters. Then cameras to monitor the front and back yard.

Visible deterrents are best, so is a big dog (oh, scratch that). or a big dog sound on loud speakers…

If they wander onto your property and flood lights switch on then sirens, they'll look for less protected property to risk getting caught in. The problem is you are surrounded by thieves that know what they are looking for. They are waiting for you to leave.

Theres also this app for an entry way camera that links to your phone, you can talk over the intercom to whomever is at the door.

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Find a sign and post it blatantly on your premises and all doors.

Here's two of them that might make this point!

And if that fails here's this one.

edit on 11 28 2015 by MadRob because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: MadRob

That's awesome but I think I'm going with the alarm system. My grandmother might flip over those signs. Besides the people of the neighborhood might take it as a personal challange
edit on 28-11-2015 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-11-2015 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Most break-ins happen on the first floor of the residence. Make sure all ground level windows have a glass break sensor on them...and then use sensors on the doors. I'd even add the screaming alarms on the doors so that it will wake up everyone in the neighborhood when the door sensor is triggered.

You could also get a surveillance system that will allow you to remotely monitor and view the premises. Go with good, digital, high res cameras that have night vision.
edit on 28-11-2015 by CIAGypsy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: CIAGypsy
Most break-ins happen on the first floor of the residence. Make sure all ground level windows have a glass break sensor on them...and then use sensors on the doors.

You could also get a surveillance system that will allow you to remotely monitor and view the premises. Go with good, digital, high res cameras that have night vision.
Thanks I'm going to look into it for sure.

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Sorry...added a few suggestions to my post above.

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Well in my neck of the woods, we keep out varmints with a simple inexpensive bear surprise. Go buy a few 2x4 's at your hardware dealer, or scrap if you can find it and some 6 penny nails, larger is up to you. Nail the nails spaced unevenly into the boards the entire length. Make sure the nails are sticking through the other side.
When night falls, set out under the entry points to your home, nails sticking up side. Cover with leaves or debris so it can't be seen easily. Be sure to let friends and family in on your new security system. Might take a few days, but the varmints will be scarcer and they usually don't come back for a second dose. Also if you can pretend no one is home , method can be quicker. And we don't kill the varmint's, just a safe way to discourage them. Also fit very well under an old welcome mat.

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   

I would get video surveillance as opposed to an alarm. The alarm might scare em off, but I prefer video evidence, and it's probably cheaper and most have night vision.

Also you can only use deadly force if your life or another persons life is in danger, but in Michigan you have special rights when someone is in your home at night.
Stealing your car at night, can't shoot.
In your house at night... Shoot

Remember dead men tell no tales, and give no testimony.

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Chansi3

You can get sued for booby traps.

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chansi3
Well in my neck of the woods, we keep out varmints with a simple inexpensive bear surprise. Go buy a few 2x4 's at your hardware dealer, or scrap if you can find it and some 6 penny nails, larger is up to you. Nail the nails spaced unevenly into the boards the entire length. Make sure the nails are sticking through the other side.
When night falls, set out under the entry points to your home, nails sticking up side. Cover with leaves or debris so it can't be seen easily. Be sure to let friends and family in on your new security system. Might take a few days, but the varmints will be scarcer and they usually don't come back for a second dose. Also if you can pretend no one is home , method can be quicker. And we don't kill the varmint's, just a safe way to discourage them. Also fit very well under an old welcome mat.

Someone in Detroit just got a burglar with something similar while they were breaking into their legal medical marijauna garden outside.

It's sad but the homeowner is gonna do some time in jail. I don't advise this method

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: wantsome

originally posted by: MadRob

That's awesome but I think I'm going with the alarm system. My grandmother might flip over those signs. Besides the people of the neighborhood might take it as a personal challenge
Go with both. Make it fear unto trespassers. Don't just be passive. Use fear! It works with government on citizens so why not Citizens on punks!?
Trust me those that would be offended are the target of your security, and are the ones who need schooling!
edit on 11 28 2015 by MadRob because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Chansi3

You really can't booby trap your home.My husband knew someone who did
and the thief was injured ,sued and now owns the house he broke into.

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chansi3

That sounds like a huge lawsuit if one of them does step on one. It sounds stupid but in this PC day in age any trap outside your house is prime for getting yourself arrested and sued if anyone gets hurt on your property from them.

You cannot place booby traps around your house that can cause harm to an individual because it's impossible for the trap to differentiate from police, firemen, PG&E and anyone else to come by your house at the time. No matter the time.

Those traps are illegal in all 50 states. The ones that ARE legal are sound devices and marking dyes.

So please don't go around telling people to do illegal things trying to prevent illegal things.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join