It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ashdown urges UK to pressure Saudi Arabia over jihadist funds

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Lord Ashdown has accused the government of failing to put pressure on Saudi Arabia and other Gulf states which he said were funding jihadism. The ex-Lib Dem leader said cutting off jihadists' income should be a "crucial part" of the UK's strategy.

BBC News

Ok the lib dems may have collapsed and become a party of irrelevance and I am still waiting for Lord Ashdown to eat his own hat as promised.

But he is spot on the mark here. The UK should be cracking down on Saudi Arabia.

The UK being a centre of the banking world could hurt Saudi Arabia. And we should. They are not only a nation of barbaric laws but are supporting ISIS and other terrorist groups. The UK needs to get a back bone and crack down on them. Stop handling there dirty blood money.

Same goes for Turkey,Qatar and the UAE.

But like the USA and Israel our Politian here blindly march to Saudi Arabia drum beat.....

edit on 24-11-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 05:44 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

The U.S needs to do the same with our brothers in the U.K , I am tired of Islamic extremists and the nations/states that support them. In my world 1 Islamic extremist is too many, and now an opportunity for unity between the super powers may be destroyed, because of another nation/state: turkey may threaten all of the world as we know it.
edit on 24-11-2015 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Totally agree, my red coated amigo!

I am raising a Spock eyebrow in muted surprise that a Brit mainstream senior politician and Lord is daring to spill the beans and say what the real problem is.

You are right. Britain's banking power could indeed hurt Saudi Arabia. However, we better start making friends with Russia and Iran though so we have some oil, lol. That is the real problem. We need Saudi for oil and they know what guzzlers we are and can use it as a bargaining tool.

Now I know this and will not use oil personally. I have no car. I walk and cycle everywhere. You see, I know what colour crude oil really is. It is the same colour as blood.

edit on 24-11-2015 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 05:48 AM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

If the USA and UK sanctioned Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Turkey and the UAE together we could do a LOT of damage.

USA and UK together control almost all the worlds banking anc currency exchanges.

All those Saudi Princes and Oil Oligarchs would quickly change their tune when there money gets frozen and there currency becomes worthless and they can’t buy their 27th Lamborghini or super Yacht.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 05:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

We got more than enough oil in the falklands. We just need to stops pussy footing around the Argies and tell them to go shove it.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Why would the UK government put the profits of their sponsors in jeopardy? They don't give a flying # about a single one of us. When attacks in Paris happen, they rub their hands together in glee at the bonuses they are likely to receive from the various nefarious organisations that benefit from it.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 05:54 AM
link   

God damn right! Right now is the time for a leader be it U.S U.K or God forbid even Russia to stand up and unify and focus our mission. Now is the time for a great speech, for a great action and a great leader.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Hats off to him (no pun intended) for speaking up, this won't be popular in the circle. But Cameron won't do it, keeping our biggest arms market sweet is more important than, y'know, morals or ethics.
edit on 24-11-2015 by Scouse100 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 06:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

We got more than enough oil in the falklands. We just need to stops pussy footing around the Argies and tell them to go shove it.

Is that true? I had no idea there was a lot of oil in Falklands. Can you briefly tell us what you know about that here as it does relate to your thread quite definitely.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 06:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Scouse100
Hats off to him (no pun intended) for speaking up, this won't be popular in the circle. But Cameron won't do it, keeping our biggest arms market sweet is more imporant than, y'know, morals or ethics.

You just have to look at last weeks queation time to see how our inner circles of the government are sucking up to the Saudis. The conservative bitch on the panel wouldn’t even let the guy finish his criticism of them.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 06:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Revolution9

Is that true? I had no idea there was a lot of oil in Falklands. Can you briefly tell us what you know about that here as it does relate to your thread quite definitely.

Falkl and oil

It will be more expensive per barrel. But end of the day I would rather go back to £1.30 a litre than take SA blood money.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Paddy aint a dumb idiot he was a marine and in the security services (including the SBS) so knows his onions i'm sure so if he says something i'd believe it more than Cameron anyday

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Yes I just read up quickly on this.

Now I see why Argentina were so willing to go to war over the Islands. Obviously huge natural resources potential wealth is there. Hence, why the Brits are so keen. Wow, what a horrid little back stabbing world this is.

Oil is the Devil's libation (damn that is a good phrase I think I'll copyright that
)

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Hats off to him (no pun intended) for speaking up, this won't be popular in the circle. But Cameron won't do it, keeping our biggest arms market sweet is more imporant than, y'know, morals or ethics.

You just have to look at last weeks queation time to see how our inner circles of the government are sucking up to the Saudis. The conservative bitch on the panel wouldn’t even let the guy finish his criticism of them.

Oh yes, I saw that, she pees me right off that woman. At least it seemed the audience could see right through her. More needs to be made of this!

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 06:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Maxatoria
Paddy aint a dumb idiot he was a marine and in the security services (including the SBS) so knows his onions i'm sure so if he says something i'd believe it more than Cameron anyday

Yep, from time to time he has shown a scruple or two. Certainly he is no fool.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Oh yes, I saw that, she pees me right off that woman. At least it seemed the audience could see right through her. More needs to be made of this!

Anna Soubry pissed me off too. No idea how she got elected. She a crap public speaker and comes off as rather below par in intelligence.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 06:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Revolution9

Yes I just read up quickly on this.

Now I see why Argentina were so willing to go to war over the Islands. Obviously huge natural resources potential wealth is there. Hence, why the Brits are so keen. Wow, what a horrid little back stabbing world this is.

Oil is the Devil's libation (damn that is a good phrase I think I'll copyright that
)

To be fair back in 1983 no one knew how extensive the oil fields were down there.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Anna Soubry pissed me off too. No idea how she got elected. She a crap public speaker and comes off as rather below par in intelligence.

The Tories could put forward a cup of soup as a candidate and with the support from the right wing press you only need 33% of the electorate of the UK who cannot understand anything longer than 1 paragraph to vote for the soup. Oh sorry Soubry not soup......still true though.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 06:38 AM
link   

That's grand news. Nice to see someone with a recognisable name and a reputation worth two craps actually putting forward some sort of solution to the terror funding issue.

Of course, it would be nice if we had someone in parliament prepared to lay the blame for the wider geopolitical situation where it belongs, i.e. At the door of western governments and the military industrial complex, by way of deeply questionable foreign affairs policies and related shenanigans over the last God knows how many decades. After all, that is where the origin of this terror nonsense began, the wellspring from which all the blood that has been shed in the Middle East, actually flows.

But getting that funding issue sorted will at least cut off the current clutch of terroristic nutbars from whatever sources of revenue they might be getting from oil, for a while. Baby steps?

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok interesting interview, but Cameron and co, will do f all to Saudi and the gulf states. He won't even mention them in his strategy. It's not just about the oil but the lucrative arms deals, which are important to the British economy and arms industry which employs a lot of people. If they don't buy our weapons they will get their gear elsewhere. Arms industries around the globe don't really care about who buys the weapons as long as someone does. We all know Cameron has no sway over these countries. We reward them with world cups and a place at the table on the human rights councilat the UN. Our royal family are also big supporters of the kingdom of Saud

<<   2 >>

join