It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can God create a rock so big that he can not lift it?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2003 @ 10:00 PM
link   
eeey look I can lift the whole universe simply by lifting up my hands. Or do you want to disproove it?

posted on Jun, 19 2003 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leveller
Take the infinite chicken and the infinite egg and go backwards in time. There is always going to be an egg and there is always a chicken. Neither can come first.

There is no infinite chicken. The chick can't exist without cells. The egg is the cell that devides itself until you have a chicken. I don't see your point.

posted on Jun, 19 2003 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikromarius
eeey look I can lift the whole universe simply by lifting up my hands. Or do you want to disproove it?

No. Because logically I can't disprove that statement.

posted on Jun, 19 2003 @ 10:05 PM
link   
why would the egg exist if it wasn't the first stage?

posted on Jun, 19 2003 @ 10:07 PM
link   
*looking at the time* eeeh looks like I need to get some sleep and some food. Have good days!

Blessings,
Mikromarius

posted on Jun, 19 2003 @ 10:08 PM
link   
It is sort of like asking the rhetorical question of: " When an irresistible force meet an immovable object, what will happen ? "

posted on Jun, 19 2003 @ 10:12 PM
link   
*sigh*

Exactly. The answer is infinity.

posted on Jun, 19 2003 @ 11:20 PM
link   
0=1=Infinity

regards
seekerof

posted on Jun, 19 2003 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Countable or uncountable infinite set?????????

posted on Jun, 19 2003 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Just a postulation Jagd....was hoping to get a response to it to maybe explain its premise.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jun, 20 2003 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Well the point is that when you start talking about infinite sets (such as the intergers, rationals, algerbraic numbers, etc.), certain relational rules no longer apply. For example a subset of a finite set is always smaller than the finite set unless the subset is the set. For infinite sets, you can no longer talk about set size equality the same way as you do for finite sets. For example which is bigger: the set of all integers or the set of odd integers (of course the set of odd integers is a subset of the integers). The reponse is that you can no longer use relational qualifiers such as larger or smaller when dealing with infinite sets. You start dealing with concepts such as countable and uncountable. The whole rock question (and others like it) have been around for a long time. Another question on this type is: "Can God postulate a question so complex that not even He could answer it?" It seems to me that these questions are always put forth by skeptics and are used to spark a debate which will draw attention from more important questions.

posted on Jun, 20 2003 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Jagd, forgive me....was merely a postulation put forth...not as a skeptic, nor as to spark a debate.

My sincere apologies if you conceived it to be such.

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 20-6-2003 by Seekerof]

posted on Jun, 20 2003 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Sekerof, I realize what you intended. In fact you first post on this thread correctly answered the original question. "He has nothing to prove to Himself, nor to you, nor to me, nor to anyone. He is beyond 'testing'. Rather foolish question leaning more to 'doubt' then true insight. " I was pointing out that our conceptulizations of finiteness no longer apply when you deal with the infinite. (When you deal with mathematical concepts of infinite sets, you get an entirely different concept of relationship).

posted on Jun, 20 2003 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Thanks and understood.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jun, 20 2003 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by jagdflieger
The whole rock question (and others like it) have been around for a long time. Another question on this type is: "Can God postulate a question so complex that not even He could answer it?" It seems to me that these questions are always put forth by skeptics and are used to spark a debate which will draw attention from more important questions.

Hmmm. Interesting viewpoint. I used those questions but I'm in no way a sceptic. My belief is based on those questions and for me, they actually reinforce and help to cement my belief that there is a God.

The whole reason for those questions is to point out that there is no answer.

God does not create the rock that he cannot lift because he is the rock.

posted on Jun, 20 2003 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
0=1=Infinity

regards
seekerof

Or simply ?=?+?=?
Edit: or ?=?^?

But a rock is finite, it doesn't grow infinitely fast to an infinite size eternally. As soon as the rock is created, God will be able to create a new rock, bigger than the first one that can crush the former in to little pieces and grind it into powder that the wind blows away. The question should rather be: can God lift an infinitely big universe?

Blessings,
Mikromarius

[Edited on 20-6-2003 by mikromarius]

posted on Jun, 20 2003 @ 02:35 PM
link   
If everything is possible for God he will be able to create an infinitely big chicken that layed infinitely big eggs and then make an infinitely big omelette using milk from an infinitely big cow and some Infinipig� bacon. Would God be able to eat it up before it went green and furry?

Blessings,
Mikromarius

[Edited on 20-6-2003 by mikromarius]

posted on Jun, 20 2003 @ 02:37 PM
link   
That IS an interesting question.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jun, 20 2003 @ 02:41 PM
link   
and think about that enormous toilet he would need to build

posted on Jun, 20 2003 @ 02:45 PM