It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Think low wage earners getting replaced by machines is a good thing?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Think again. Because of heavily funded programs the government has been creating opportunities for people to be educated to fit the modern workforce through programs like the workforce investment act. Here in Orange County it's called One Stop Resource centers. Here they run programs to help people become relevant and updated for today's market.

Here's the fun part. All of you debating against raising wages in the service sector will soon be competing with these employees because they are the only eligible for these programs. If you make 30k+ a year your ineligible.

No matter what you think your worth supply and demand determines wage eligibility. Soon your job will be worth less as these people educate themselves using free government programs driving your wages down.

Enjoy your ivory tower.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

But... those jobs are still gone. In the long run, I do think that is a good thing. We are entering a post-employment economy and the sooner we realize that and adapt to it, the better.

In the future, high unemployment rates will be the mark of a successful and booming economy.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 12:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
Think again. Because of heavily funded programs the government has been creating opportunities for people to be educated to fit the modern workforce through programs like the workforce investment act. Here in Orange County it's called One Stop Resource centers. Here they run programs to help people become relevant and updated for today's market.

Here's the fun part. All of you debating against raising wages in the service sector will soon be competing with these employees because they are the only eligible for these programs. If you make 30k+ a year your ineligible.

No matter what you think your worth supply and demand determines wage eligibility. Soon your job will be worth less as these people educate themselves using free government programs driving your wages down.

Enjoy your ivory tower.

I'm not entirely sure about what you are getting at? Are you trying to inflame passions against those trying to better themselves? Or what exactly.

All the 'job training' I'm seeing offered to those without skills (on the other side of the Orange Curtain as it were) are in in trucking, 'food' service and low paid 'medical'. None of those are industries where you can make much more then minimum wage either.

Any whooooo - care to clarify your point. Usually your posts are more coherent... long weekend perhaps?

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Enjoy your ivory tower.

Actually so does the ability to effectively do your job, and the specialization of said job

Not worried about losing mine

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 12:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

Right but we won't adapt unless a cataclysmic shift in what we value and our incentive structure changes.

How high does the suicide rate in young adult men have to get because they can't stay relevent?

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 12:41 AM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Your not going to lose it its just going to become less valuable as more people gain your skill set.

It's a game of inevitability as probable outcomes eventually become someone gaining your skill set.

Your not that unique trust me.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 12:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

Enjoy your ivory tower.

Actually so does the ability to effectively do your job, and the specialization of said job

Not worried about losing mine

You do not see it yet but it will eventually.....

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I think my job is safe.
I don't think people will let a robot wipe their arse.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

That's not the point the point is the people replaced by robots will flood your market with workers devaluing the service your offering.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Seeing 90% don't last a week im still not worried.

(post by fartlordsupreme removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 01:18 AM
link   

No one is taking my job.

I've decided to retire and before my 50th birthday too.

Yay, me!

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 01:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Seeing 90% don't last a week im still not worried.

People will do anything if it's their only option don't try and fool yourself.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 01:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Because you run your own business.

You fail to understand the reasoning behind my presumption.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 01:24 AM
link   

I think it is great people are getting job training. My concern, as always, is how is it being paid for and by whom.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 01:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Well it won't be getting paid for by anyone soon because no one will be able to create a value for themselves when everyone is competing for the same 4 service based jobs supplied by a trickle down from the robot overlords and protected assets by their drone army.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Please advise where on any page of their website that they elude to "machines or robots" taking over jobs.,?

www.oconestop.com...

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Don't worry, this will auto correct eventually when they realize those who were replaced with machines are no longer able to participate in the economy.

Unions did serve a purpose even though they were usually pretty corrupt....

What do you want?, to be employed through the protections of a corrupt union?, or unemployed and living on a shoestring, maybe even on the streets because of being convinced that unions were somehow wrong?.

Corporations followed us from England when we escaped the grips of the corrupt Monarchy, Corporations killed unions, they kill everything for the sake of a few more cents on the dollar profit.

History repeats itself.

Book : The Fourth Turning, What the Cycles of History Tell Us About America's Next Rendezvous with Destiny. William Strauss and Neil Howe.

The only constant in this world is that people remain stupid.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
I think my job is safe.
I don't think people will let a robot wipe their arse.

You seriously underestimate me.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 07:58 AM
link   

a reply to: boymonkey74

That's not the point the point is the people replaced by robots will flood your market with workers devaluing the service your offering.

That same argument kind of started in earnest a few centuries ago with the Luddite movement against the industrial revolution. This is merely a progression of the same thing whether you like it or not.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join